Stem help? 1" Steerer, 31.8mm bar clamp -17

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Not sure if this stem exists, but if it does, please let me know. Trying to finish a build...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

How about using a shim for a 1 1/8 stem downsizing it for the 1” steertube. Was a pretty common thing to do when the “standard” size steertube was in transition between 1” and 1 1/8”. Some stems even came with the shim for just such a purpose.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

Like Calnago said. Heck, I'm running a Uno stem (1.125ˇ) for 31.8 clamp, but I've kept my old 26.0mm bars. A friend of mine made some POM-plastic shims, so that I can use the setup. Faultless so far.. :)

I had to have the -17 stem, as my fork steerer is very long (was shorter, but few years ago I opted for some additional steerer extension welded), and neither do i want 3.5-4cm spacers above the stem, nor I want to cut the steerer. This way I can easily add 25mm spacer below the stem, and get the same height as with a slammed 6 degree stem. And 17degree looks nicer on a classic diamant frame with horizontal TT.