Dual pivot brakes for carbon rims - any benefits?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dorin

by dorin

Hi there,

As title said will I fell any benefit if I change the brakes from SRAM RED airlink to DuraAce BR-R9100?

Basically will dual pivot give any better braking for braking on the wet? I have zipp 303 and 404 NSWs and when descending on wet the rear wheel is just useless only the front one gives actuall breaking...

Many thanks for any advises.

Cheers
Dorin

jih

by jih

The SRAM brakes are effectively dual pivot, there won’t be a lot of difference. Maybe look at better pads?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Shimano DA are generally considered to be top of the pile for rim braked road bikes. But the difference to Red is going to be marginal, <10%.
You can probably make most of that up with better pads, new cables (better routing of course) and generally looking after them.

But doing all that with a set of DA calipers will get you even more.

You'll probably need to switch to DA shifters etc as well to gain the full benefit.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

jih wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:06 am
The SRAM brakes are effectively dual pivot, there won’t be a lot of difference. Maybe look at better pads?
The current RED brakes are single pivot and IMHO they suck.

Some say they actually work if we can successfully install and center them, but I think that's the point.

dorin

by dorin

They are properly installed and centered, i use the zipp tangente pads, tried the black prince, didn’t see much difference. On dry they are excellent, easily Blocking the wheel of i put too much pressure, just trying to find a solution for wet braking (improve the rear wheel, as the front is excellent) and disc brakes is not an option for the moment...

Marin

by Marin

Try differrent pads. Changing brakes won't make a difference in wet braking.

The Red brakes really aren't dual pivot, but they use a small linkage to achieve a similar effect, and they are still rather light, which can't be said of Shimano brakes.

Svetty

by Svetty

Latest gen Shimano are considrably better that the previous - and they were decent. Try Campag red pads for carbon rims.

dorin

by dorin

Svetty wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:44 am
Latest gen Shimano are considrably better that the previous - and they were decent. Try Campag red pads for carbon rims.
I’ll give a try to the new Shimano, but the Campag pads will void any warranty on zipps...at least so they say...

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

If you are using Sram Groupset, the 9100 brakes are going to feel a little mushy and vague with Sram levers. Go EE if you want better braking for Sram system.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

logy

by logy

I use EE with Zipp 404 and Red 22. They are excellent wet and dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

wheelbuilder wrote:If you are using Sram Groupset, the 9100 brakes are going to feel a little mushy and vague with Sram levers. Go EE if you want better braking for Sram system.
Or go with $50 Campagnolo Potenza brakes, which put Dura Ace and SRAM to shame.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

dorin

by dorin

wheelbuilder wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:34 am
If you are using Sram Groupset, the 9100 brakes are going to feel a little mushy and vague with Sram levers. Go EE if you want better braking for Sram system.
Did you try them? I had the previous DA and I was very happy, changed to SRAM due to weight...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Campagnolo brake and pads rock. Even there entry level centaur stuff is top notch. The best were there dual pivot front and single pivot rear but the single pivot rear has been dropped. no one has stopped quicker with dual pivot rear over a single pivot rear. Single pivot rear is how you avoid brake rub.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

I’m not sure why different calipers would change your wet-weather braking. Get a set of alloy wheels if you ride in the rain a lot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beaver

by Beaver

This also seems to be a very subjective matter: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0#p1420741

Very different opinions here...