Dual pivot brakes for carbon rims - any benefits?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Gohic Castle your wrong. I have building the same carbopn wheels for 4 years now and I cant tell the difference between wet braking on these and the majority of the alloy wheels i ride. the exception is the ambrosio nemesis set. Those rims are NMSW though and they seem to brake very well.

dorin

by dorin

bm0p700f wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:03 pm
Those rims are NMSW though and they seem to brake very well.
Im very happy with the showstopper on the NSW, and even in wet they are manageable, I was just wondering if the dual pivot would provide any benefits. I used eTap shifters with DA brakes and I was very happy, switched to Red for weight.

The fact the front wheel is even locking on wet is clear the braking works, just need little more power on the rear

Cheers,
Dorin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

rear braking is what it is. the weight moves to the front wheel. thats why if you use a single pivot rear brake you braking disatance will be unchanged.

RussellS

by RussellS

mpulsiv wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:23 am
Or go with $50 Campagnolo Potenza brakes, which put Dura Ace and SRAM to shame.
I have one set of Dura Ace brakes. And sets of Centaur, Chorus, Record brakes. All work very well. Excellent even. I find it more than a bit disingenuous to believe any brake on earth can put the Dura Ace brake to shame. I'd say you are just yapping to hear yourself yap on this point.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

RussellS wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:23 am
Or go with $50 Campagnolo Potenza brakes, which put Dura Ace and SRAM to shame.
I have one set of Dura Ace brakes. And sets of Centaur, Chorus, Record brakes. All work very well. Excellent even. I find it more than a bit disingenuous to believe any brake on earth can put the Dura Ace brake to shame. I'd say you are just yapping to hear yourself yap on this point.
Centaur, Chorus and Record use Campagnolo brake pad holders, where Kool-Stop salmon pads are not available. Potenza is using Shimano brake pad holder, where you can pair it with Kool-Stop salmon pads and yield the best performance out of rim brakes, period.
Dura Ace brakes has an aggressive initial bite, but when it comes to progressive stopping and better modulation, Potenza performance is unmatchable.
Last edited by mpulsiv on Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I rode aerolink brakes for a few years and thought they were good. Switching to a full DA9000 group changed my mind for sure.

As some have mentioned or at least eluded to, cable pull ratios make a difference. If you're using SRAM levers, I don't think your be quite as thrilled with dura ace calipers. EE would be my recommendation. If you've got Shimano levers, by all means give DA calipers a try.

I have EE and Campy dual pivot brakes in the garage right now - I've also run 9100 calipers this year. The Campy brakes are very good but, and the initial bite (when used with Campy levers) is great but I don't believe they offer more absolute power than EE. 9100 brakes (on Shimano levers) might offer a bit more absolute power than standard mount EE but the lack or modulation compared to EE put me off.

In a nutshell, EE have become my standard for brakes. I think they perform best with Campy levers, followed by Shimano, and pair least awesome with SRAM levers. Which still puts their performance ahead of aerolink.

dorin

by dorin

Ok, i guess I’ll order a set of EEs, they aren’t cheap, curious to see the power difference, I like the caliper alligment, on aerolink i find it impossible to get both caliper to bite in the same time, plus on the rear on pad is way more worn than the other...

I think I may order DA9100 as well, try them too and send one back. DAs are easier to set up and didn’t have any issues in the past when pairing the previous version with the eTap shifters...

dorin

by dorin

Is any difference between brakes DA 9000 and 9100, other than later taking 28mm on wider rims?

also, are Campagnolo Super Record Skeleton Brakes compatible with the SRAM eTap shifters? i think they may have the same pull ratio so they should work better than with DA9100, any opinions on this?

Cheers,
Dorin

n1ey

by n1ey

Is it worth to upgrade to a single post DA 9000? Will this actually get more stopping power over my older ultegra rear brake? I am running carbon specific pads. It doesn't stop in the dry like aluminum.

flying

by flying

mpulsiv wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:08 pm

Centaur, Chorus and Record use Campagnolo brake pad holders, where Kool-Stop salmon pads are not available. Potenza is using Shimano brake pad holder, where you can pair it with Kool-Stop salmon pads and yield the best performance out of rim brakes, period.
Dura Ace brakes has an aggressive initial bite, but when it comes to progressive stopping and better modulation, Potenza performance is unmatchable.

EDIT: Ah forgot brake release is on Campy levers not on brake..Been years since my Chorus group :noidea:

silvalis

by silvalis

mpulsiv wrote:
Centaur, Chorus and Record use Campagnolo brake pad holders, where Kool-Stop salmon pads are not available.
Kool Stop "Super Record 2011" fits '15 campy skeleton SR shoes. I am running them now. I assume athena/chorus/record was the same.

P/N KS-SRSA
Chasse patate

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

silvalis wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:27 am
mpulsiv wrote:
Centaur, Chorus and Record use Campagnolo brake pad holders, where Kool-Stop salmon pads are not available.
Kool Stop "Super Record 2011" fits '15 campy skeleton SR shoes. I am running them now. I assume athena/chorus/record was the same.

P/N KS-SRSA
I was looking at Shimano (part # KS-DURASA) www.koolstop.com/english/dura_type.html and trying to convey compatibility. Potenza brake pad holder are Shimano compatible and easier to source :thumbup:

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

mattr

by mattr

n1ey wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:37 pm
Is it worth to upgrade to a single post DA 9000? Will this actually get more stopping power over my older ultegra rear brake? I am running carbon specific pads. It doesn't stop in the dry like aluminum.
Extremely marginal when new. Especially on the rear.
Also depends on which generation ultegra and compatibility with lever pull ratios.

You may find after a period of time (months to years) that the DA carries on working better than the Ultegra once it's had a few hundred litres of dirty road sludge sprayed all over it and the repeated washing that's required.

silvalis

by silvalis

mpulsiv wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:45 am

I was looking at Shimano (part # KS-DURASA) www.koolstop.com/english/dura_type.html and trying to convey compatibility. Potenza brake pad holder are Shimano compatible and easier to source :thumbup:
yep definitely, but just in case you need them they are available at wiggle
Chasse patate

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com