Chainring recommendation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MediumSizedMonster

by MediumSizedMonster

I purchased a Power2Max NGEco with Rotor cranks which I’ve been happy with but I I’ve been running the Ultegra chainrings that we’re on my old crankset and I’m looking to upgrade. Bike is an Allez Sprint.

Please share any thoughts you may have on good chainrings for an otherwise full r8000 group. 4 bolt Shimano, obviously.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Shifting performance will likely go down a bit.

What are you looking to improve?

How about oval chrinrings á la q-rings? Check if p2m likes oval or not though.

/a

MediumSizedMonster

by MediumSizedMonster

Honestly one of the big things is aesthetics...don’t love how the chainring bolt covers interface with the non-Ultegra spider. Am I dumb to focus on this given that the Shimano rings will definitely shift best?

Elliptical shaped rings have piqued my interest a bit — are the “recovery benefits” real (understanding the benefit may be marginal)?

themidge

by themidge

Carbon-Ti? Expensive and probably wouldn't shift as well as Shimano, but they look really good and you'd save some weight. Alternatively, DA 9100 rings would look better than those Ultegra ones and maintain your current shifting quality.

MediumSizedMonster

by MediumSizedMonster

themidge wrote:Carbon-Ti? Expensive and probably wouldn't shift as well as Shimano, but they look really good and you'd save some weight. Alternatively, DA 9100 rings would look better than those Ultegra ones and maintain your current shifting quality.
You have any specific recommendations for carbon-ti?

Also, I may be missing something but isn’t the 9100 chainring style pretty much the same as the 8000?

themidge

by themidge

MediumSizedMonster wrote: You have any specific recommendations for carbon-ti?
Not really, but someone here on WW has an R5 with a similar style power meter to yours and some carbon-ti rings, looks pretty good.
MediumSizedMonster wrote: Also, I may be missing something but isn’t the 9100 chainring style pretty much the same as the 8000?
Yeah, they're shiny black though, which might blend in a bit better than the Ultegra ones do.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bilwit

by bilwit

Not too many options for 4-bolt.. personally I think the 9000 rings look the best, especially with a different spider/crank like p2m+rotor or SRM.

Should've gotten the 3D+ 110 BCD and used noQ or Praxis instead, would've saved you some weight too :P