Would you like to see the mist around Road tubeless cleared? (help me!)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Do you guys think you need a manual for setting up and understanding road tubeless?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:19 pm

Yes, PLEASE!
50%
Nah, already know it.
50%

Total votes: 48

kode54

by kode54

exactly. if the standards were all the same with less variables...I'm sure you would've had more folks on tubeless way back. My first try at it was dismal...couldve been the rim or the tire, but nevertheless, it was enough for me not to adopt tubeless on my road wheels early on.
stiffnezz1 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:22 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:01 pm
mag wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:37 pm
Looks like there's finally some tubeless standard coming
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/25764 ... atters-you

TL;DR version: It's UST.
dont know why none of the other big players adoped road ust that was announced over a year ago. Dont know who is out there pushing for ISO and ETRTO standards update but they are the real MVP in the tubeless game.(probably Mavic)
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mr2scott

by mr2scott

Calnago wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:08 am
It’s not “fud”, it’s reality. Was at a shop today and the guy was admiring my tubulars. Rather than singing praise about tubeless, he instead was saying how tubulars are actually easier than tubeless these days on the road. He said that setting up tubeless for their customers often is a two man job to get the tires on the rim. I couldn’t help but think how this is the hot tubeless topic right now on this forum.
That guy at the shop sucks at putting on tires. I change hundreds of tires a month. I'd rather install tubeless any day over tubulars. Tubeless tires are almost never hard to mount. I had one issue with a prototype tire on a stans wheel, we needed 4 hands to get it on, but that was a wierd one off thing.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

GP5K TLs were very tough to mount on my 5.6s, but it was in no way a “two man job.” It just meant as had to use a distressing amount of force with a tire lever. No big deal, I’ll just skip GP5K TLs next time and buy more Fusion 5 11Storms or some other tire that can be mount/removed without levers.

MikeD

by MikeD

TobinHatesYou wrote:I have none of your issues.

6) The best tape is the green powder coating tape (3M 8992 or generic.) The best sealant is Orange Seal.
How do you get the tape to the right width? I need 21 mm and it doesn't come in that width. The closest is 1" (25.4mm).

ms6073

by ms6073

MikeD wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:28 pm
6) The best tape is the green powder coating tape (3M 8992 or generic.) The best sealant is Orange Seal.
How do you get the tape to the right width? I need 21 mm and it doesn't come in that width. The closest is 1" (25.4mm).
[/quote]
My guess would be to apply the tape centered in the channel, then once wrapped, use a shop knife, exacto knife, or razor blade to trim the excess.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MikeD wrote:

What are the dimensions of your rims? I use the 1” tape on both 19mm and 21mm rims.

MikeD

by MikeD

TobinHatesYou wrote:
MikeD wrote:

What are the dimensions of your rims? I use the 1” tape on both 19mm and 21mm rims.
DT R460, 18mm.

The owner of my LBS says to use narrower Stan's tape and overlap it. He says he gets no air bubbles and it works fine. I'm worried about the sealant working its way under the tape, which is minimized by using the proper width tape, so I've not tried that.

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

MikeD wrote:

You use a scalpel / exacto knife to trim the tape before applying it. Lay the roll on a table and cut it while rotating the roll.
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc