Light brake cable? Powercordz? Impossible with Ciamillo Gravity Negative gsl???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Pop

by Pop

HI!!
My powercordz brake cables are in poor condition (they are 2011's....) and I want to change it for light ones,too...
What could I buy???
I think it's hard to find again that kind of cable,doesn't it?

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A3003 mediante Tapatalk

sungod

by sungod

i've used them for years, powercordz are readily availble in eu...

https://www.synergyaction.eu/powercordz ... -274-p.asp

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pop

by Pop

Ooohhh....I've tried to use my old brake cable (I had one in good condition) with Gravity Negative GSL brakes,and it "slides" when I try to brake
Is it impossible to use it with those brakes????

sungod

by sungod

not familiar with the clamp on those

but you need to create a knot around the clamp bolt, if you can't do that then i'd say they are incompatible

don't clamp like a steel cable, it could slip any time and then you have no brakes!

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

sungod wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:30 am

but you need to create a knot around the clamp bolt, if you can't do that then i'd say they are incompatible

don't clamp like a steel cable, it could slip any time and then you have no brakes!
I've been using powercordz since they came out - you go around the bolt 180 degrees and tighten it down. Never, ever, have I had a cable slip.
Speedplay is the devil!

Pop

by Pop

mdeth1313 wrote:
sungod wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:30 am

I've been using powercordz since they came out - you go around the bolt 180 degrees and tighten it down. Never, ever, have I had a cable slip.
I think it's a little bit difficult to do a 180 degrees turn inside this with the bolt, doesn't it?
(My old powercordz are broken, so I have to buy another one to use it,but I have to be so sure about its usefull)Image

sungod

by sungod

i wouldn't use powercordz with that type of clamp

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

You could have the cord go in and then wrap it around, but it wouldn't exit that hole. Of course, you'd need to get your adjustment right because you'd be crushing the cord.

As someone else mentioned, I wouldn't go there with that clamping system. I wonder if those blue grommet thingys that come with the cordz would be helpful in this case? I find them useless for my setup.
Speedplay is the devil!

rlpaul

by rlpaul

There's always KCNC Ti, but they're even more money than Power Cordz.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

KCNC would probably be easier to use, but hideously expensive.

They're not as durable as steel cables, so I'd make them one of the last things to do if you're working to lighten up a bike. After clamping 4 or 5 times (if you swap out parts or don't get install right), the cable will be fraying and have lost it's gold coating.

Then again, I understand Powercordz are a bit of a PITA too.

rlpaul

by rlpaul

I haven't tried the KCNC Ti, but Power cordz are annoying to install. Particularly if you run SRAM Red with the dumb rear derraileur setup. Which, naturally, I do. And if you're replacing cables like a 'normal' person, IE, when they break, or something's wrong, then you never really get used to installing them. Think the longest stint a Power Cordz cable lasted on one of my bikes is 3 or 4 years. FWIW, the cable didn't fail, I was just moving parts to another frame.

I'd definitely be saving rear brake cables to re-use as front brake cables if I were using KCNC. Just too much cost not to swap forward if it's no longer usable as a rear. I'd love to try them, but the cost is keeping me away. Literally 10 times the cost of a PTFE coated cable.

jmocallaghan
in the industry

by jmocallaghan

We did a test for Powercordz with Ciamillos back in 2014 per their request. Great cables. However, the clamping mechanism on the Ciamillos and other brakes like theirs do not mate well with Powercordz. It's not a safe combination.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com