Direct mount rear brakes for 28mm rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

epoklar

by epoklar

The last piece of the puzzle for my new chinese bike build are some dm rear brakes for my 28mm carbon rims. I can't seem to find any that fits.

I have tried the new sram s900, but no dice.
I have also tried Ultegra R8010-RS Direct with the thin shimano brake pads for carbon rims, but still not enough clearance.

Do the dura ace r9010 have more clearance than ultegras? according to the manual both should clear 28mm rims with the thin brake pads, but i'm not sure since the ultegras certaintly didn't.

prebsy

by prebsy

i was pretty bummed by this exact situation on my felt AR. I "solved it" by removing the conical washer behind the pad holder. It's not perfect but gets you an extra 1.5-2mm of clearance
Last edited by prebsy on Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

That seems weird. I have Easton Aero 55 (these were probably among the fattest when they came out) and the 2015-2016 EE brakes, not direct mount, but i have lots of clearance so i could probably use 30mm rims without issues.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

epoklar

by epoklar

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:25 pm
That seems weird. I have Easton Aero 55 (these were probably among the fattest when they came out) and the 2015-2016 EE brakes, not direct mount, but i have lots of clearance so i could probably use 30mm rims without issues.
I'm pretty sure the eebrakes will solve my problem, but they will, unfortunately, create a new problem, a financial one.

epoklar

by epoklar

prebsy wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:22 pm
i was pretty bumped by this exact situation on my felt AR. I "solved it" by removing the conical washer behind the pad holder. It's not perfect but gets you an extra 1.5-2mm of clearance
I will try removing the washers.

bilwit

by bilwit

if you only need a few hairs of clearance, EE brakeshoes might do it. They have lower stack than Shimano or SwissStop shoes

Bluechip

by Bluechip

I've got some Farsport rims that are very wide. 29mm I think. I just got a set of Tririg Omega X brakes and they work great. Plenty of clearance with 25mm Conti GP4000s's measuring out at 30mm. No more shaved pads for me. Mine are regular mount but it is also direct mountable.

Jereb

by Jereb

Bluechip wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:15 pm
I've got some Farsport rims that are very wide. 29mm I think. I just got a set of Tririg Omega X brakes and they work great. Plenty of clearance with 25mm Conti GP4000s's measuring out at 30mm. No more shaved pads for me. Mine are regular mount but it is also direct mountable.

Hi

Tririg worked on my 2018 AR 1 also.
The bottom mounts suck with dirt accumulation after a rain ride.
A TRP 860 have a lot of room but never used one yet.
Jere B

Beaver

by Beaver

It's really strange, that there are not many models for wide rims yet. Bontrager Speed Stop Pro would be another alternative.

I would wish for a TRP T980 in a SL Magnesium version - would be stiff, pretty and light.

kode54

by kode54

yeah. the very reason why my rear eeCycle rear DM brake failed.

I noticed some brake rub and looked and found the centering device tab broke off...rendering the brake to skew to one side. not sure how the warranty is on them, now that Cane Creek bought them out.

The entire assembly was so mucked up because of all the dirt and grime.

Jereb wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:48 pm
Bluechip wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi

Tririg worked on my 2018 AR 1 also.
The bottom mounts suck with dirt accumulation after a rain ride.
A TRP 860 have a lot of room but never used one yet.
Jere B
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

A bit of a thread dig but I am look for more precise info re direct mount brakes.

It appears as though TriRig Omega X is about as good as it gets for clearance. Is the stopping power on a par with Shimano?

Also the focus of this thread is rim width but what about tires. Can the Omega X handle 32mm measured?

Found an Omega thread which shows a lack of consensus on stopping power: viewtopic.php?t=147470

Any other suggestions for 28mm rims and 32mm (actual) tires?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

bilwit

by bilwit

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:35 pm
A bit of a thread dig but I am look for more precise info re direct mount brakes.

It appears as though TriRig Omega X is about as good as it gets for clearance. Is the stopping power on a par with Shimano?

Also the focus of this thread is rim width but what about tires. Can the Omega X handle 32mm measured?

Found an Omega thread which shows a lack of consensus on stopping power: viewtopic.php?t=147470

Any other suggestions for 28mm rims and 32mm (actual) tires?
Pros ride normal 9100 calipers with 28mm Shimano rims all the time. Width usually isn't an issue with DM calipers, fork clearance with the pads (thus limiting how wide it can open) and height clearance are usually the limiting factors. EE brakes offer even more clearance than Shimano and their brake shoes also offer slightly more clearance than standard ones. Never tried but I'm confident they would clear at least a 30.. not sure about a 32

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Thanks, rim width accomodation is well known and yes it seems 28mm wide rims can be made to work well with most DM brakes. Assuming you have a DM rim brake frame designed to max out tire clearance, that leaves the issue of what size tires the brakes will clear. I suspect 32mm tires will work with some. Would be nice to know which. Bontrager Speed Stop Pro is interesting. Groupset will be Campy record.

FWIW I have a 10 year old frame that handles 32mm with Ultegra 6700 calipers, so I don't think I am asking for too much.

EE is out of the question. A moral objection to that much money for brakes.

And I already have a nice disc bike so that's not my problem. :thumbup:
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

wntrmute

by wntrmute

epoklar wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:57 am
The last piece of the puzzle for my new chinese bike build are some dm rear brakes for my 28mm carbon rims. I can't seem to find any that fits.

I have tried the new sram s900, but no dice.
I have also tried Ultegra R8010-RS Direct with the thin shimano brake pads for carbon rims, but still not enough clearance.

Do the dura ace r9010 have more clearance than ultegras? according to the manual both should clear 28mm rims with the thin brake pads, but i'm not sure since the ultegras certaintly didn't.
Anyone else have the same experience with the R8010-RS? Believe I've read the opposite elsewhere on the web.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Yeah, non-issue on my 9110 or EE brakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com