Campagnolo 11-speed chain: one Record, one unspecified

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Catagory6

by Catagory6

besides the obvious; one being branded "record", and the other unspecified, and the Record chain having the hollow pins, and the unspecified chain having the slotted links, one being advertised as 10g lighter, and $10 less expensive, what's the difference?

avispa

by avispa

Catagory6 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:55 pm
besides the obvious; one being branded "record", and the other unspecified, and the Record chain having the hollow pins, and the unspecified chain having the slotted links, one being advertised as 10g lighter, and $10 less expensive, what's the difference?
The other "unspecified" chain is the "Potenza Level" chain. Just as there is no "super record" chain, Campagnolo only has 3 chains: 1) Record Chain 2) Chorus Chain and 3) Campagnolo 11 Chain. As per Campy, all these chains are interchangeable among their 11 speed groups and can be used without tecnical problems.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

I've been using the Potenza chain lately. Campag have modified their fastening protocol slightly in that the Potenza chain does not have a special link you must retain for joining; you can remove any links you like although they recommend you keep the one that has a batch id.

Other than this, and price, I don't know what the difference is. Is there a performance reason?

I have found the Potenza chain to be quite greased up, out of the packet. It's the first chain I've actively tried to degrease while still new.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

the materials and joining pins e.t.c are the test for the 12 speed chain. so it is a superior chain and should wear at a slower rate. This is how campagnolo tested the technolgy in the real world before going 12 speed.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

bm0p700f wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:15 pm
the materials and joining pins e.t.c are the test for the 12 speed chain. so it is a superior chain and should wear at a slower rate. This is how campagnolo tested the technolgy in the real world before going 12 speed.
are you referencing the "unspecified" chain, as opposed to the Record chain?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Yes the non series 11speed chain is superior.

Miller

by Miller

When you say 'non series' is that the Potenza one or something else?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

There is no potenza chain. There is a non series chain often supplied with the Centaur and potenza groupset.

avispa

by avispa

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:16 am
There is no potenza chain. There is a non series chain often supplied with the Centaur and potenza groupset.
True, I was actually paraphasing what the Campy Rep told me. He said that is the "internal" nick name they give that chain.
Miller wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:22 pm
I've been using the Potenza chain lately. Campag have modified their fastening protocol slightly in that the Potenza chain does not have a special link you must retain for joining; you can remove any links you like although they recommend you keep the one that has a batch id.

Other than this, and price, I don't know what the difference is. Is there a performance reason?

I have found the Potenza chain to be quite greased up, out of the packet. It's the first chain I've actively tried to degrease while still new.
Weight maybe?

Miller

by Miller

Weight, it's a steel chain, lol. Sorry. I'd get my scales greasy anyway. The links are slotted, must save a few grams.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Miller wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:22 pm

If the link with the batch number is removed, all warranty on the chain and transmission components is potentially void ... so we strongly urge users to join by the recommended method (using UT-CN300) and to retain this link.

Chain warranty is exceedingly rare, usually chain problems result from incorrect joining.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com