WW Bike Fit

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

Hey,

My awesome build is complete but now I'm having bike fit issues.

Things I feel are dialed in:
Cleat position, saddle height

Things that I feel like could use some work:

1. Reach
Sat back on the saddle I feel so stretched out on the hoods that my body situates itself on the tops of the bar just before the hoods. If I actively grab the hoods it feels like my shoulder angle is extended a good 110 degrees. I feel like this can be fixed with training

2. Pinched inner thigh/groin nerve
I'm using a Fizik Antares (no cut-out) saddle, a 3t dorico ltd seatpost, and 172.5mm crank arms. Saddle is almost slammed forward. My inseam with shoes is 83.37 cm.

The issue:
I'm getting a good amount of pressure on my inner thigh as my butt situates itself in the middle of the saddle. If you all know the Antares it flares out in the rear with the "wings". If I scoot back about 2 cm it's comfortable having the rear of the saddle support my sitbones, but can't maintain this position and expect to push any real power.

My options:
1. Get shorter crank arms to effectively bring myself back into the saddle. I feel like 172.5mm is actually on the higher range for my leg length.
2. Get a saddle with better support (thicker padding and a cut out). My old Trek has a Planet Bike saddle which took me 55 miles as a novice and no nerves pinched. I could scoot forward and back as I pleased depending on my power demands. It was quite amazing. That saddle had a good 5mm of padding all along it, the Antares has like 1.5mm
3. Get a zero setback post. This is just a last resort because I don't want to look like I'm headed to a triathlon. I may as well slap on some aero bars to go with that, oh maybe some shifters on the end of them and a cable splitter.

exctasy

by exctasy

I'm no bike fitter but I've a feeling you need that no setback seatpost.

by Weenie

gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

Why not the cranks?

Edit: Thinking more deeply now the zero setback would improve my overall position including reach. And seeing Chris Froomes Pinarello Dogma with the Enve seatpost I am convinced that it has the potential to look sick.

Anyways what zero setback post would you all put on an otherwise full 3t kit
Last edited by gramsqueen on Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

What's your GT? (floor to thigh bone hip joint portrusion distance)

How long is your current stem?

Do you have a slammed stem?

How tall are you?

If your seat is slammed forward, how do you know it's right? You should be able to hold your hands floating over your bars without too much discomfort. That means your fore/aft is set for comfort. If you are all into aero gains then of course you can drop the bars and set the seat more forward with resulting pressure on arms/hands. It's harder to put out powet like this. Any change oriented for performance with cost of comfort should be done in small increments to let the body get used to it.

/a
Last edited by alcatraz on Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

exctasy wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:43 am
I'm no bike fitter but I've a feeling you need that no setback seatpost.

This is rarely the answer. The vast majority of people are pretty closely proportioned. Bell curved, standard deviations and all that.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Friendly warning: do not get a bike fit over the internet, not even WW.
Friendly advice: ask in trusted circles for recommendation of a good bike fitter near you.
Less is more.

gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

100.5cm roughly

100mm and yes just slammed it. I like the aero position, but now reach is a problem.

I'm 175cm roughly.

I need to slam it forward because when I pedal, my body settles naturally in a position that puts the seat under me in that fore/aft adjustment. The current slammed saddle position is still not accomodating my "natural" position because the supporting wings of the saddle are pretty far from my sitbones

NiFTY

by NiFTY

My concern is your seat is a bit high. You are moving forward as this reduces your reach and brings the cranks closer. The inner thigh pinching soundly like you may be rocking in the saddle. What was your previous setup like.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

exctasy

by exctasy

shimmeD wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:04 am
Friendly warning: do not get a bike fit over the internet, not even WW.
Friendly advice: ask in trusted circles for recommendation of a good bike fitter near you.
This i agree :up:

gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

NiFTY, My previous set-up has a tad higher saddle with 170mm cranks and a cushier saddle.

I know this is wildly inaccurate by bike fitting standards, but, I put my fingertips on my hips while pedaling and estimate that they are rocking about 2cm while pedaling

Soon I'll be riding a 3t Doric- seatpost

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

It sounds like you don’t fit the frame, aren’t flexible enough, or both. It also sounds like you are more concerned with appearance than a good position.

See a professional.

gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

The size 54 cannondale definitely felt bigger.

I'm not obsessed with looks I'm just concerned with battling the headwinds next to my house :(

I'm gonna lower my saddle and see where that takes me, maybe bring my bars up 5mm. I highly suspect that zero setback would help because historically my bikes have always had slammed forward seats with the setback post

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If you're 175cm with an >83cm (win shoes) inseam, then you have an above average inseam. Unless you have super short femurs, a forward saddle position makes no sense.

I am 178cm with an 81.5cm inseam. I use 165mm cranks and I have a saddle height of 72cm with 9.1cm of setback. When I used 170mm cranks, I had my saddle height at 71.7cm with 8.9cm of setback.

What is your saddle height?

gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

My saddle height is 72.5cm but I'll lower it one cm and take a ride tomorrow to see how it feels. Also gonna shorten the reach by bringing up the bars

I think the issue might be frame too big for my reach and too long crank arms or too high seat and an unforgiving seat.

by Weenie

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The saddle height seems within acceptable range, so your slammed forward position is probably just what you've adapted to. It's almost definitely the fact that you're sitting too far up on the nose of the saddle causing your pinched groin issue. I used to suffer the same as I'd scoot forward often when my sitbones felt sore.