Giant TCR Advanced 2 Disc vs Giant TCR Advanced Pro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BentonM

by BentonM

I'm replacing my Canyon Ultimate AL winter training / commutting bike - this is the bike I spend 75% of my time riding so it needs to be robust and versatile but I also need to enjoy riding it - the Canyou AL was always a little harsh.

My summer ride is a TCR Advanced SL ISP so it make sense to get a 'cheaper' TCR with the same geomatary for winter.

I'm trying to choose between Advanced 2 with Discs or for £200 more the Advanced Pro 2 with rims brakes and carbon steerer.

Those who've been riding disc brakes - do you feel they were worth the investment and weight penalty?

BTW: My regular commute takes in a couple of hills - one substantial.

My head says discs but it also says markeitng men making me spend money on a feature with little benefit. (I work in marketing)

Recommendations?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

TCX Advanced SX with 32mm road tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

vanmatthew

by vanmatthew

Canyon ultimate AL as a commuting bike. That's awesome.

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

If you've already got an Advanced SL for summer and this will be a winter/commuter this is a no brainer for me - Advanced 2 Disc. I went with a TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc and the braking is phenominal - in wet weather there is no doubt the braking will be better with the discs.

Looking at the other side of the marketing coin - do you need to spend the extra $200 on a commuter bike for a carbon steerer? I'm certain that you'll find the discs to be a far bigger benefit than a carbon steerer. I wouldn't be worried about the weight much; at the end of the day, on a commute I woudln't think the difference between a 16lb bike and a 18.5lb bike would be all that substantial (I'm just throwing numbers out here for examples sake).
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

BentonM

by BentonM

Thanks for the comments, I guess discs are the way to go - summer riding makes you forget the dark wet days of winter!

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

:thumbup: Yep, unfortunately sunny summer weather doesn't stay all year! Good luck and don't forget to post pics.
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com