Bbinfinite bb386 evo campagnolo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mickevans86

by mickevans86

Hi guys, I'm new to weight weenies, I recently installed a bbinfinite bb386 evo campag bottom bracket in my wilier cento 1 air to try and solve my creaking issue, install was pretty easy and went without any problems however I believe the design has a massive flaw. When installing the cranks you need to apply a retaining compound to the outer race of the bearings and then tap the drive side with a soft face hammer to seat the bearing and then allow the rc to cure so the rc is supposed to hold the bearings in place and stop side to side movement in the 1-1.5 mm of space that's left in the shell. From my pov I find it inconceivable that this retaining compound (vibratite 530) will be strong enough to hold the bearings in place considering the amount of force put through this part of the bike. So I guess what I'm trying to find out is if anyone else on here has used this product and or encountered the same problems as me
Thanks
Mick

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mickevans86

by mickevans86

Sorry forgot to mention that I have tried to install my chainset twice using vibratite and it has failed both times

MrMojo

by MrMojo

I installed the BB Infinite BB386 Campagnolo UT module last week into my Cipollini NK1K and had exactly the same concerns. When I installed I had 1.5-2mm of lateral movement and wasn't the happiest as they mention "precision engineering" on their website and to me 1.5-2mm of lateral movement isn't precision. I emailed BB Infinite about my concerns about bonding the bearings into the cups and got a slightly passive aggressive email back that I was doubting their product.
Anyway I installed exactly to the instructions but used the stronger retaining compound to hold the bearings. I've had one 50 mile ride at the weekend and all ok still holding and more importantly no creaking. I'm not sure it is a long term solution but for now it's holding. All I would suggest is install exactly as the instructions and leave for 24-36 hours to set.
2021 Colnago Master
2020 Colnago C64
2017 Colnago C60
2017 Colnago V1-R
2014 Cipollini RB1K
2008 Colnago Extreme C
2005 Colnago C50
2001 Colnago C40
1996 Colnago Tecnos

eforce123

by eforce123

I have been in contact with them and just reached out regarding this issue. I will post up his reply to your questions/installment.

hambini

by hambini

From a bottom bracket maker's perspective. Fitting a Campag crankset with UT into a BB386 bottom bracket is not going to be straightforward if you are using a one piece shell.

The UT crank is one of the few where the interference fit is on the inner ring. The only other one I can think of is the look Zed crankset. By doing that, you effectively have to have one bearing fixed and the other floating. In most Campag setups this is accomplished with a clip. because there is access.

On BB386 the frame is in the one way, so you have little choice other than to use "glue".
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

eforce123

by eforce123

The lateral play is needed in case Campy's crank is a bit off the mark. There needs to be some wiggle room to compensate for variances in manufacturing. And the lateral play is .004-.006", which is nowhere close to 1.5-2.0mm. Furthermore the use of loctite as we specify is so exactly within the engineering intent of the product that Loctite puts a picture of a bearing being bonded to a shaft on the label of the product.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Mick call Gary at BBinfinate. He is super helpful and responsive so I would suggest that before you do anything further. I had questions on both my BBinfinite installs and he helped me by phone/email same day.

I have had two bikes with BBinfinite and Campy UT cranks. The first was a Wilier Cento1 SR with 386EVO that I could not get to stop creaking with UT chorus cranks/bearings. I am super anal with my gear and cannot stand creaks or weird noises. I went with BBinifinite because my frames BBshell was not in great shape and BBinfinite takes BB shell tolerance out of the equation completely - this in my opnion is the culprit for many of the issues people have with the UT system when using campy's cups. I had ZERO issues with my UT system over three seasons (with two separate cranks) once installed on the my Wilier. I have never had such good BB performance so I installed the BBinfinite module on my Colnago C60 this spring. Again, zero issues once installed. I am sure they will get you sorted.