Sprint shift work around with 9170

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sun

by sun

ParisCarbon wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:00 pm
Go about half way down the page... is that not the old sprint shifter?
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/24483 ... enge-video
I doubt it. If you look closely at that image in question, I can see the outline of the 9150 switch body.

[/quote]

The shape of the shifter looks like the R610 where it comes more to a point and not rounded.

jlok

by jlok

ParisCarbon wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:54 pm
jlok wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:00 pm
The SW-R9150 switches come standard on my Propel Adv SL Disc. They are mounted above the thumb position at the drop. Good place to be, not obstructive.
Do you happen to know how they were connected to the bar? Just double sided tape? The old 610s had a band that wrapped around the bar as well..
Thanks!
They connect to the shifters.

I don't think u need any special tape to fix the buttons. Just follow the dealer manual to install it. Someone suggested using leather hole punch to make the holes on the bartape. That would be much easier than using a box knife esp when u use tape like Fizik Performance bartape.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Sorry to bring this back up, but I have the R610's on my 9150 bike.

Looking to change to 9170 (new bike), will I still be able to use my sprint shifters?
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

ms6073

by ms6073

ryanw wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:04 am
Sorry to bring this back up, but I have the R610's on my 9150 bike.
No. The ST-R9170 hydraulic shifters lack the dedicated sprint shifter port. While one could adopt the DIY methods in this thread, I opted to use the SW-R9150 remote shifters which I mounted on the underside of the drops.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Damn it. Not cool Shimano, not cool at all!

Haven’t looked into the DIY side of it, but I use my current sprint shifters probably more than the lever shifters.

The SW-R9150 units look really quite bulbous and obviously lack the ergonomics I’m used to. Do you think it would be possible to strip the unit down and use as I do my 610s?

ms6073

by ms6073

Where do you have the 610's mounted on your bars? Keep in mind that the SW-R9150 are stand-alone shifters, therefore 3x more expensive. From a DIY perspective, one could probably remove the case for the SW-R9150 and seal it in silicone to reduce the foot print, but if you go back and read through this thread from the beginning, you will find the same solution using the 9000 generation climbing switch.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I have my 610s fitted exactly as above on Sagan's Venge.

I can operate them from the hoods and from the drops. Really do use them a lot.

What a complete oversite from Shimano.

Without delving into the DIY posts, I assume you can just cut the 610 plug and use a generic e-tube wire plug to make them work?

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

ryanw wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:15 pm
Without delving into the DIY posts, I assume you can just cut the 610 plug and use a generic e-tube wire plug to make them work?
Obviously not. Shimano may be occassionally stupid but not that stupid. The plug is different for a reason as the sprint shifters are just dumb switches which simply closes a circuit, while communication with the E-tube network is handled by the electronics in the STI shifters. Only replacing the plug would at best do absolutely nothing and at worst short circuit and possibly destroy something.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Well that is FAR from ideal...

Who want's to make me some frankenstein 610s to work with 9170? :mrgreen: