Sprint shift work around with 9170

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Been researching on here and online.. but looks like there is no way to use the r610 sprint shifter with the 9170? I emailed Shimano and the reply was a picture of the SW 9150... isn't that kind of well "bulky" to be in the sprint position? With the movement to disc, keep seeing old sprint switch appearing... Sagan had it on his Venge at the tour as well as a few others..

PaulH

by PaulH

You have to hack a climbing shifter and solder the wires to the contacts , then water proof , there is a thread on here some where

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Likes of Sagan, Kittel, Gaviria must have used SW-R9150 for their bikes and still won many stages in Tour de France. I don't think the shape is identical to SW-R610, nor is critically different.

ms6073

by ms6073

Cemicar wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:19 pm
I don't think the shape is identical to SW-R610, nor is critically different.
There is no hack required to use the SW-9150. Although the shape different and the switch has a larger footprint, based on my experience using them with Enve SES Aero road bars mounted on the underside of the bar at the base of the curve to the drops, once wrapped with bar tape, the switches are not obtrusive.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

jlok

by jlok

The SW-R9150 switches come standard on my Propel Adv SL Disc. They are mounted above the thumb position at the drop. Good place to be, not obstructive.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

TheDoctor

by TheDoctor

PaulH wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:24 pm
You have to hack a climbing shifter and solder the wires to the contacts , then water proof , there is a thread on here some where
It's here:
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 3&t=151321
With this hack you can mount microswitches just about anywhere.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

jlok wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:00 pm
The SW-R9150 switches come standard on my Propel Adv SL Disc. They are mounted above the thumb position at the drop. Good place to be, not obstructive.
Do you happen to know how they were connected to the bar? Just double sided tape? The old 610s had a band that wrapped around the bar as well..
Thanks!

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

TheDoctor wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:28 pm
PaulH wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:24 pm
It's here:
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 3&t=151321
With this hack you can mount microswitches just about anywhere.
Thanks for the link...that looks a little more involved than what I want to get into :shock:

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Cemicar wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:19 pm
Likes of Sagan, Kittel, Gaviria must have used SW-R9150 for their bikes and still won many stages in Tour de France. I don't think the shape is identical to SW-R610, nor is critically different.
Go about half way down the page... is that not the old sprint shifter?

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/24483 ... enge-video

sun

by sun

Thanks for bringing this up. I've been wondering the same and tweeted to Shimano last night. I ruined an R610 sprint shifter wire in a crash. I soldered it together and it wasn't very easy as the wires are so small. I'm hoping their is an out of the box solution.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

sun wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:25 pm
Thanks for bringing this up. I've been wondering the same and tweeted to Shimano last night. I ruined an R610 sprint shifter wire in a crash. I soldered it together and it wasn't very easy as the wires are so small. I'm hoping their is an out of the box solution.
It looks like the only solution is the new SW-R9150. I did find this link for mounting it as a sprint shifter, its in Japanese, but on Google I just right clicked and hit the translate option:
https://www.cycle-yoshida.com/pc/syousa ... E=00641856

Its 3M VHB 2mm aircraft tape... its not cheap stuff! I work for an airline, so Im gonna see if the maintenance boyz have anything...

Cemicar

by Cemicar

ParisCarbon wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:00 pm

Admit it more looks like SW-R610, but who knows.

ST-R9170 and 8070 don't have a port for that so casual users can't use SW-R610. However manufactures are known to make 'pro-only' stuff sometimes and I'm not surprised Sagan was offered special shifters by Shimano.

Can't fathom why there even exists such a sprinter-switch specific port to begin with.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Cemicar wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:38 pm
ParisCarbon wrote:

Admit it more looks like SW-R610, but who knows.

ST-R9170 and 8070 don't have a port for that so casual users can't use SW-R610. However manufactures are known to make 'pro-only' stuff sometimes and I'm not surprised Sagan was offered special shifters by Shimano.

Can't fathom why there even exists such a sprinter-switch specific port to begin with.
Yep.. Shimano is famous for this... especially with the CX 46T specific DA chainrings... good luck for the average street guy getting hold of that!! A top pro CX racer told me through chatting facebookt to just stop by the van and he'd give me one... too bad Im in Canada... :( Im gonna order a set of the R9150s for my CX bike.. Im so used to having a sprint shifter in the drops now I feel lost without it.. Im sure work has some crazy double sided tape I can "borrow"

ms6073

by ms6073

ParisCarbon wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:55 pm
Its 3M VHB 2mm aircraft tape... its not cheap stuff! I work for an airline, so Im gonna see if the maintenance boyz have anything...
Seems a tad overkill considering you can get 3M double-sided automotive tape or Gorilla 6055001 Heavy Duty Double-Sided Mounting Tape from Amazon for less than $10 US.

ParisCarbon wrote:
I doubt it. If you look closely at that image in question, I can see the outline of the 9150 switch body.

Last edited by ms6073 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

mattr

by mattr

ParisCarbon wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:55 pm
It's extremely cheap.
AFAIK the only difference between "aircraft grade" and everything else is use by dates, traceability and storage controls.
So I can buy the shaped tabs for very little and rolls for not much more.
Usually buy in 1mm thickness though.

Just search for 3M VHB circles.

(Used to be able to pick up rolls at work, it's all preapplied/precut now. So no rolls available. :( )

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com