Tour Mag. disc brake vs. rim brake test

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Stitchking

by Stitchking

I've found it differs between brakes considerably. Shimanos are usually bedded by end of first ride. Some sram brakes take quite a bit. Worst is the trp mechanicals which feel worse that rim brakes for quite a while but have a savage bite after a few weeks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Why would the brand matter at all? This is simply a transfer of material onto the rotor...

Stitchking

by Stitchking

TobinHatesYou wrote:Why would the brand matter at all? This is simply a transfer of material onto the rotor...
It shouldn't, but it does... maybe factory some have a harder compound pad. No idea, just my anecdotal experience.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

zmjones

by zmjones

mpulsiv wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:38 am
Imaking20 wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:04 am

What tire were you using and pressure that you found bouncy? Are you chasing PR’s on gravel? It defeats the purpose of riding gravel vs. tarmac. Sure, wider tires is not required but vastly preferred to enjoy the ride. I find 32mm GravelKing at 50 psi quite harsh for my taste. Give me at least 38mm to put a smile on my face.
Wait, you're not allowed to chase PRs on gravel?

I'm just saying that level of enjoyment is subjective and I think it comes down a lot to how much feedback you want. Not to mention I've got no interest in riding MTB tires on the asphalt on the way TO the gravel.

I was riding Specialized Roubaix Pro tires - which are great - in 25mm.
Frankly, I haven’t heard anyone chasing PR’s on gravel. This discipline is really not into it. I’m not saying that we don’t race on gravel but majority of gravel rides is soft pedaling.

25mm on gravel is doable if you love massive vibration from head to toes or if you are insensitive and totally dig minor sensation. For me, rolling on narrow tires is an unpleasant experience.
so very wrong about strava and gravel

Beaver

by Beaver

A quite balanced take on the disc brake vs. rim brake topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyWFaJQu8yo

Jugi

by Jugi

Beaver wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:04 am
A quite balanced take on the disc brake vs. rim brake topic
My immediate thought was one of these guys is quite poorly informed. Which was weird, as he was supposed to be the ”most experienced user” around the table.

And I thought they did not get to the beef. Both braking systems provide good enough performance, so the question is not about which of them is the better braking system. In my opinion the main question is how disc brakes aid the development of frame and rim design. Disc brakes give the possibility to use wider rims (as the rim width is not a factor in the braking system anymore), which is good if one wants to use wider tires. If a brake track is discarded completely in rim design, that may open up new possibilities in that field (new weight and torsional rigidity targets etc.).

Then again all riders do not need wider tires or wider rims, and in general some road cycling applications definetly do not need them, so disc brakes are not going to bring something game changing to all use cases and applications. But after the 200-300g weight penalty has been ironed out, they wont do much harm either.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Can't compare disc vs rim. Disc supersede rim for modulation without any question.
For quick safe braking (needed seldom but help avoid accidents), disc easily eat rim brakes.
Through axle stiffness vs quick release or, through axle if i would chose.
With that said, i still use rim brakes on my dedicated road bike.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO D
Paduano Racing Fidia
Open *UP*
https://opencycle.com/showcase/the-xplo ... eelsonfire