Tour Mag. disc brake vs. rim brake test

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stitchking

by Stitchking

I've found it differs between brakes considerably. Shimanos are usually bedded by end of first ride. Some sram brakes take quite a bit. Worst is the trp mechanicals which feel worse that rim brakes for quite a while but have a savage bite after a few weeks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Why would the brand matter at all? This is simply a transfer of material onto the rotor...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stitchking

by Stitchking

TobinHatesYou wrote:Why would the brand matter at all? This is simply a transfer of material onto the rotor...
It shouldn't, but it does... maybe factory some have a harder compound pad. No idea, just my anecdotal experience.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

zmjones

by zmjones

mpulsiv wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:38 am
Imaking20 wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:04 am

What tire were you using and pressure that you found bouncy? Are you chasing PR’s on gravel? It defeats the purpose of riding gravel vs. tarmac. Sure, wider tires is not required but vastly preferred to enjoy the ride. I find 32mm GravelKing at 50 psi quite harsh for my taste. Give me at least 38mm to put a smile on my face.
Wait, you're not allowed to chase PRs on gravel?

I'm just saying that level of enjoyment is subjective and I think it comes down a lot to how much feedback you want. Not to mention I've got no interest in riding MTB tires on the asphalt on the way TO the gravel.

I was riding Specialized Roubaix Pro tires - which are great - in 25mm.
Frankly, I haven’t heard anyone chasing PR’s on gravel. This discipline is really not into it. I’m not saying that we don’t race on gravel but majority of gravel rides is soft pedaling.

25mm on gravel is doable if you love massive vibration from head to toes or if you are insensitive and totally dig minor sensation. For me, rolling on narrow tires is an unpleasant experience.
so very wrong about strava and gravel

Beaver

by Beaver

A quite balanced take on the disc brake vs. rim brake topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyWFaJQu8yo

Jugi

by Jugi

Beaver wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:04 am
A quite balanced take on the disc brake vs. rim brake topic
My immediate thought was one of these guys is quite poorly informed. Which was weird, as he was supposed to be the ”most experienced user” around the table.

And I thought they did not get to the beef. Both braking systems provide good enough performance, so the question is not about which of them is the better braking system. In my opinion the main question is how disc brakes aid the development of frame and rim design. Disc brakes give the possibility to use wider rims (as the rim width is not a factor in the braking system anymore), which is good if one wants to use wider tires. If a brake track is discarded completely in rim design, that may open up new possibilities in that field (new weight and torsional rigidity targets etc.).

Then again all riders do not need wider tires or wider rims, and in general some road cycling applications definetly do not need them, so disc brakes are not going to bring something game changing to all use cases and applications. But after the 200-300g weight penalty has been ironed out, they wont do much harm either.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Can't compare disc vs rim. Disc supersede rim for modulation without any question.
For quick safe braking (needed seldom but help avoid accidents), disc easily eat rim brakes.
Through axle stiffness vs quick release or, through axle if i would chose.
With that said, i still use rim brakes on my dedicated road bike.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:15 pm
Noctiluxx wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:11 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:15 pm
87% of road brakes sold to OE customers by SRAM were disc parts for MY2018. I think disc brake adoption is going fine. ;)

For MY2019 that will probably be 93-95%
So 17 out of 20 bikes sold with SRAM components in 2018 were with disk brakes? :lol:
Slightly off topic. I see that you own 2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL (Red) and 2016 Specialized Allez DSW Sprint (Gold). I'd love to hear your feedback as how agile Allez Sprint is next to TCR Advanced.
No comparison! The Allez is a great bike but doesn't have the agility, liveliness, of the TCR.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

MarcFaFo

by MarcFaFo

dvq wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:22 pm
I'd say my speed down these segments he's talking about started dropping off significantly after about a month of descending on disc brakes, basically familiarizing myself and relearning brake points and effort required for certain types of braking. The steeper descents over 15% was a drastic immediate improvement, its not just confidence, but sheer ability to actually stop in reasonable amount of distance without worrying about melting some clinchers.
That's my opinion as well. I rode a few Belgium steep hill desents, and the idea that i had to think and worry about my rims gave made me decide for Discs. The braking performance in the dry is great in the wet you can get used to but the sheer idea that Carbon delaminate worries me. Further do I dislike to switch between Carbon and Alu rims because of the pad changes needed.
Now with disc brake road wheels are getting hookless rims, hence saving upto 80 grams (Alto CEO in Podcast Velonews) the weight penalty and improving the lifeliness of the wheel bright times are ahead of discs.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

mpulsiv wrote:
Slightly off topic. I see that you own 2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL (Red) and 2016 Specialized Allez DSW Sprint (Gold). I'd love to hear your feedback as how agile Allez Sprint is next to TCR Advanced.
Noctiluxx wrote:
No comparison! The Allez is a great bike but doesn't have the agility, liveliness, of the TCR.
Thanks! Good to know. Brand new TCR frame is going for $1575 www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr-advanced-pro-frameset and Allez Sprint is $1250. I feel comfortable paying $325 more for something livelier, better cable routing and ~300 grams lighter. :beerchug:
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

mpulsiv wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:53 am
mpulsiv wrote:
Noctiluxx wrote:
Thanks! Good to know. Brand new TCR frame is going for $1575 www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr-advanced-pro-frameset and Allez Sprint is $1250. I feel comfortable paying $325 more for something livelier, better cable routing and ~300 grams lighter. :beerchug:
I can get that TCR frame through my local dealer for the same price as the Allez.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Really looking forward to next TCR (2020?).
If they change aero brick rectangular down tube to more triangle-like like on Liv Langma or even 2019 Giant Defy, and don't increase price by more than 20%. I'll grab one for sure.
Rectangular down tube kill the current version for me (personally). I don't care for any other upgrade, hope this is not too much to hope for.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Noctiluxx wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:12 am
mpulsiv wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:53 am
mpulsiv wrote:
Noctiluxx wrote:
I can get that TCR frame through my local dealer for the same price as the Allez.
That's even a better deal! Tarmac SL6 frame was on my radar but it's $1000 more. I think TCR Pro frameset is a no brainer but few caveats are holding me back. OverDrive 2 steerer which require 1-1/4-inch stem (e.g. poor selection) and conservative tire clearance. If memory serves me right, people reported that 28mm (true size) barely clear.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

jlok

by jlok

That tube shape may not be eye candy to you, but it definitely help in the overall strutural stiffness/strength. Comparing to my Propel SL Disc, the TCR SL Disc definitely ride more lively. It may sound stupid but I now think that the lively feel is more important than the pure speed that the Propel offers...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

jlok wrote:That tube shape may not be eye candy to you, but it definitely help in the overall strutural stiffness/strength. Comparing to my Propel SL Disc, the TCR SL Disc definitely ride more lively. It may sound stupid but I now think that the lively feel is more important than the pure speed that the Propel offers...
I didn’t mention a word about aesthetics. I said that 1-1/4 stem selection is quite limited due to oversized steerer exclusively by Giant. I want to be able to swap parts and prefer cross compatibility but this may not be the case since the seatpost is “D” shape and OverDrive 2 steerer tube.