Systemsix - Supersix

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vanerven

by vanerven

Hi Damon,

I'm a long time Cannondale rider but I not sure if the new Systemsix is for me. Pehaps a bit off-topic but are there any plans at Cannondale to update the Supersix EVO (e.g. make it a bit more semi-aero)? Thanks.

Wouter

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi Wouter,

Thanks for riding Cannondale. As I'm sure you can understand, I'm not free to divulge future road bike plans. ;-)

Why do you think the SystemSix might not be for you?

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

vanerven

by vanerven

Thanks for your quick response Damon, appreciated. I understand that you can of course not divulge such information. With regard to your question, I think the Systemsix is more for the fast and furious types. I'm happy with my Supersix but I hope Cannondale keeps on evolving that bike (like I said, a bit more aero look).

All the best from Amsterdam.

Wouter

audiojan

by audiojan

vanerven wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:45 pm
I think the Systemsix is more for the fast and furious types.
Not sure I understand this reasoning... it's a bike that is aero, yet supposed to have a descent amount of comfort to it. Why not ride it all the time?
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

I guess the SystemSix is not for you if you spend most of your time in the mountains... like me, I'm in the Pyrénées every summer where climbs are usually long and at averages steeper than 6%.

But then again, I'm riding a 2014 Synapse Disc right now, 7.7kg all in and I'm not unhappy with it so I probably would be fine on the higher end SystemSix (and would be much faster on descents and valleys where the Synapse just feels like it has aero brakes on at all times)... but ideally, I'd take the next Evo generation designed with discs first, not just a disc adaptation like the current one. I need to replace my rim-brake Evo now though so I may not wait for it...
Synapse_2018.jpg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

audiojan wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:35 pm
vanerven wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:45 pm
I think the Systemsix is more for the fast and furious types.
Not sure I understand this reasoning... it's a bike that is aero, yet supposed to have a descent amount of comfort to it. Why not ride it all the time?

Also, the slower you are, the more time an aero bike saves you. ;)

grover

by grover

Last year was a new Synapse. This year a new SystemSix. I'd hazard a guess at next year a new SuperSix.

Neutral support disc brake wheels are all through axle. The current SuperSix has a rear QR. So I'd say sooner rather than later we will see a new SuperSix with front and rear through axle to allow their professional teams to ride disc on all bikes and be able to use neutral support.

Note: This is not intended to start a rim vs disc brake debate. We've heard it all before.

jlok

by jlok

Dan Gerous wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:27 am
I guess the SystemSix is not for you if you spend most of your time in the mountains... like me, I'm in the Pyrénées every summer where climbs are usually long and at averages steeper than 6%.

But then again, I'm riding a 2014 Synapse Disc right now, 7.7kg all in and I'm not unhappy with it so I probably would be fine on the higher end SystemSix (and would be much faster on descents and valleys where the Synapse just feels like it has aero brakes on at all times)... but ideally, I'd take the next Evo generation designed with discs first, not just a disc adaptation like the current one. I need to replace my rim-brake Evo now though so I may not wait for it...

Synapse_2018.jpg
What goes up must come down and I think the geometries should be considered as well? Geometries that lead to more stable descent may also be desired.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Knokkelhaug

by Knokkelhaug

Hi Wouter,

I'm 53 years old and will get my SystemSix early september. First I thought this bike was for the young people, but after reading some reviews I'm sure this bike will be a good replacement for my SuperSix HiMod. Probably not as comfortable but close enough to enjoy the ride.
Last edited by Knokkelhaug on Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

refthimos

by refthimos

Knokkelhaug wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:29 pm
I'm 53 years old and will get my SystemSix early september. [...] Probably not as comfortable but close enough to enjoy the ride.
Maybe more comfortable, if you choose to run wider tires than will fit in your SuperSix at appropriately lower pressure
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

vanerven

by vanerven

Knokkelhaug wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:29 pm
Hi Wouter,

I'm 53 years old and will get my SystemSix early september. First I thought this bike was for the young people, but after reading some reviews I'm sure this bike will be a good replacement for my SuperSix HiMod. Probably not as comfortable but close enough to enjoy the ride.
Hi Knokkelhaug,

Congrats with the new ride! I look forward to reading your user review after you have spent some time on your new System6.

Wouter

nickf

by nickf

Does a little bit of aero really have that much of a real-world difference? My 2015 Supersix Evo HM can hang with every other aero bike out there. Hell, my Trek Crockett does just fine also. Fitness trumps aero all day long. I wouldn't hesitate to get a new Supersix. Systemsix will save you a few seconds on some unrealistic route at some unrealistic speed. A small aero advantage isn't going to transform you into a better rider. Going to a full aero bike won't instantly allow me to go off the front for a solo breakaway. If I was a top-level pro making money sure give me aero, I want those 3 seconds.

In the end, ride whatever bike will motivate you.

AJS914

by AJS914

It's way more than 3 seconds but only you can decide if you want aero. You only need aero if you are racing at the highest level.

I started doing group rides again and I'm tempted by aero. I'm 52 years old and riding with cat 1-2-3 racers in their 20s and 30s. There is no way I'll ever catch up to those guys with training. When you look at aero benefits at say 40-45km/hr which is a 'on the rivet' speed for our group, the benefits are substantial.

20-40* watts for wheels
20 watts for frame
5 watts for aero road handlebars
10 watts for an aero road helmet
5 watts for tight fitting aero jersey

On top of that you can shave legs, work on positioning, etc. The aero effects are cummulative.

It's a lot of watts to leave on the table.

*Hambini's chart says 40+ watts for fast 50mm wheels vs. a Kysrium @ 50km/hr.

Knokkelhaug

by Knokkelhaug

[/quote]

Hi Knokkelhaug,

Congrats with the new ride! I look forward to reading your user review after you have spent some time on your new System6.

Wouter
[/quote]
This is my first impression:

It is far better than expected! Even with original Fulcrum wheels and 23mm Vittoria it feels comfortable. The geometry is relaxed and the handlebar fits me well. Power transmission and stability are quite similar to SuperSix Himod. I have also tested the bike with 28mm tubeless. It's feels like a race version of synapse :-). The black/ red colored frame gives a lot of attention and positive feedback, same with the frame design.
I bought this one in 56. My earlier Cannondale's has been 54 with 120mm stem. I have also changed to Schwalbe Pro One 25mm tubeless on the Fulcrum wheels. The Garmin mount is the spacer/ bridge set from Vision. A little tricky to mount, but I used nylonlock nut upside down (nylon ring facing handlebar) and tighten just enough to fixate the bridge (Head on bolt pointing up).

vanerven

by vanerven

Good to hear that the bike is better than expected. I never doubted that that Cannondale would do a good job. For me it's just not my bike, yet. I hope that they will further evolve the Supersix which has proven to be an outright winner. I'm however not entirely confident that the bike will remain in the Cannondale gamma given the fact that the 2019 top models are non-disc versions. Seems like they will gently fade away...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com