Sram Red eTap or Ultegra 8050 Di2 (I know...)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sram Red eTap or Ultegra 8050 Di2

eTap
50%
Di2
34%
9100 Mechanical
16%

Total votes: 38

halcyongolf

by halcyongolf

I know, I know. Another question about the merits of eTap v. Shimano Di2. Hear me out.

I'm in the process of building my next bike. It'll be the first new build in 10 years and while I still enjoy my Bianchi 928 T-Cube with Sram 10 speed, it's getting long in the tooth. I currently reside in a developing country without good access to warranty services for Shimano or Sram. There are a handful of local dealers, but they deal primarily through distributors in Thailand vice. anything local, and I plan to buy all my components when I am traveling back home on holiday as the prices are much lower than in the local market. As such, warranty service for both Shimano and Sram would be via international mail through the vendor I purchased from rather than from any local or even regional dealer as I understand it.

After figuring for VAT relief, etc. I can buy Sram Red eTap (Derailleurs, shifters, batteries, charger) for around 200 dollars (170 eur) more than Ultegra 8050 Di2 (Derailleurs, shifters, battery, charger, e-tube cables, junctions).

The appeal of Di2 is that while the total cost is similar to eTap, the cost of each component is lowert than eTap e.g. rear deraileur costs 170 Eur v. 420 eur for eTap. As the cost of each indiv. item is lower, if I have a failure, it's cheaper and easier for me to source a local replacement, or to purchase a replacement when I'm traveling. I don't assume I can do warranty service locally and thus I have thrown that out of my consideration.

The appeal of eTap is that it is a top of the line groupset, lighter, better looking (for my eye), and I like the feel of Sram after having used red 10 speed for a decade. The downside of course is the fear of a lack of warranty support and the cost of core replacement components if something goes wrong. Having read the "How you're getting on with eTap" thread I fear that a lack of local warranty support my be an issue here. esp. as I can buy Shimano replacements on the internet and have them shipped here while Sram is geofenced and I couldn't secure a replacement until I travel, so I would either have to buy a repladement locally for a very high price, or deal with the warranty issue through the orig. European vendor via DHL or UPS.

The sensible part of my brain says I should quell my urges and just get 9100 mechanical as the parts are cheap (esp if I use an Ultegra replacement), readily available, and easily serviced where I live, but as this is my first build in a long time, the emotional part of me just WANTS electronic.

Thanks for your advice!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'm building a (another) bike too.. current bike I've had a year and running SRAM ETAP.. nothing wrong with it but I've been riding Di2 for years previous to trying eTap. Sure the weight reduction is nice and all, but I'm going HYDRO for the next build and well I've tested both and prefer Di2, besides I'm swallow and hate the hydro levers of SRAM. So I purchased the full 8070 groupset. In a couple months I'm likely to get an Aero bike too in which I will go back to the lovely comfort of DuraAce 9170. I already have the chargers, the PC interface all that jazz so it just makes sense.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moonoi

by moonoi

I have 9170 DA Di2 Hydro and eTap rim, I got the Di2 because I wanted to try it out and like spdntrxi, I didn't like the SRAM Hydro levers for my disc road bike.

In all honesty I prefer eTap in the way it operates and feels, I would say though the Di2 looks better made and higher quality, time will tell in this regard. Bought both through local Thai distributors, mainly because one is opposite my office, and the other is in the same building.

I guessing you're not in Thailand from your post, but the Shimano distributor here does do VAT refunds for tourists, not sure if that is an option for you? The local prices here are not that much different from US/Europe and at least if you did have a warranty claim it should be easier and less expensive?

Jugi

by Jugi

I just switched from 2x10 Red to eTap. I think the breeding can be felt in the components, eTap is a big evolution from the old Red but it still has the same SRAM’s feel. Although (based on my brief experience with Di2) the use experience is quite close between Di2 and eTap, I would get eTap if the old Red’s good characteristics are something you want to preserve.

Go electric. At the end of the day it isn’t so much harder to maintain. I think the biggest difference is that with electric, it works or doesn’t work at all. With mechanical groupsets there is a wider ”gray zone”, and a slightly faulty groupset can be at least ridden back home from the middle of nowhere.

PrinceEdward

by PrinceEdward

Etap wifli for sure no doubt

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 Pixel 發送

hannawald

by hannawald

eTap, if the price increase is minimal, go the best you can afford. if you go racional way and not by heart you will have second thoughts in the future and it may cost you more when you slowly upgrade..

seaneT1

by seaneT1

I had the same question as you, etap or ult di2 8050? Went with etap in the end, one of my best purchases ever!!

Stitchking

by Stitchking

From what i understand, sram has a universal warranty. So if you can prove purchase anywhere, and that you are the original purchaser, the local distributor will warranty it.

The geoblocking is sort of a plus in this regard as there is no ambiguity around grey market product as there can be with shimano.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

shoon

by shoon

Just buy the etap replacement parts from eBay.. the sellers there don't really abide by the geo fencing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

This is not an easy question!
Really?
No, it's not. With electrical you can never be sure that it really is working 100%.
There are several guys/girls who have experienced issues. With that said, i don't mean to say it's not reliable.
If you go electric, i seriously doubt you'd want to go the wire route again.
Really, yes i am almost sure.
There is something that really bring you to the next level over wire, that's just how it is.
Fingers crossed, if it doesn't f**ck up!
If it does, it is not sure it's easily (and fast) sorted.
If logic should guide you, you should consider if a problem do happen and you do need help/ warranty.
Which is easiest or even possible where you live, Sram or Shimano?
I like Srams shifters hood/ grip better than 6870. No experience with the 8000 series.
Both Etap and Di2 shift good, with Shimano you should be able to experience zero rub.
You also can pre-set the FD in Etube. You go for the option of chainring combo in Etube aswell as size of cassette.
Probably this is sufficent for your set to work flawless.
Etap is more picky when it comes to tuning the shifting. I have rub only in 50-28.
My Etap setup is 50/36 and 11-28.
For 6870, 44/34 and 11-36 and zero rub.

I started off with 6870 for my gravel.
It's way nicer than my DA 9000 i have had on my road bikes.
Recently picked up Sram Red Wifly upgrade kit for my Vial Evo.
I really like Etap. I think you should make room for the Red 22 crankset and possibly chain to.
Etap is picky when it comes to tuning the shifting. The Red 22 crank has specific chainline and spacing between the chainrings.
If you want the warranty (which Sram voild if you don't use the full groupset) and best results, you should have the crankset to.
You're well off with Shimano cassette. I have both DA 9000 cassette and Ultegra.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

billendk

by billendk

I have been using etap on my madone for the last 18 month. Works flawless and no problem at all. I also use 8070 di2 on my bmc teammachine, flawless too except some drivetrain noise. I asume it is the new cassette causing that problem. There are several topics about that.
All in all, both are great groupsets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com