Giant Power Pro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AyBee

by AyBee

Will this be for sale on a standalone basis too?

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

Not for the moment

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jencvo

by jencvo

Does anybody know what the chainring replacement is like on this unit? I currently own a Pioneer PM and it's a pain in the rear and want to switch to something that easier to maintain in the future

hohnma

by hohnma

Have asked to giant on facebook, they respond to me end 2019 / start 2020 for the power meter for having it available at sell without the bike

jencvo

by jencvo

hohnma wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:31 pm
Have asked to giant on facebook, they respond to me end 2019 / start 2020 for the power meter for having it available at sell without the bike
Somebody is selling his online because the crank arms don't fit him, it's a take off from a new Giant. That's why I'm asking. Any idea?

warp

by warp

jencvo wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:04 pm
Does anybody know what the chainring replacement is like on this unit? I currently own a Pioneer PM and it's a pain in the rear and want to switch to something that easier to maintain in the future
I do have a Defy Advanced Pro 0 2019 and I have the same question. I just can't get along with the 50t for our terrain.

I have read the Pioneer procedure for chainring change and this should be similar, but it looks like the Giant right side is different and more alike a Stages with the strain gage on the crank arm itself and the electronics on the housing in the rings. I don't see an obvious adapter plate on the rings themselves but I could be wrong.

I'm just too lazy to take off the crank, but I'll try to post a couple pictures.

If anyone has any more info, that would be great.

Other than that, it's working as it should except I had to delete all my previous power meters on the Garmin unit but after that, it's been smooth sailing.

warp

by warp

This is how the Giant Power Pro looks like.
Now, I don't have a clue about how to change the rings but looks like it is bonded to the spider and probably you just need to undo the two bolts to replace the outer ring. The inner ring looks like even easier than that.

Thoughts?ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

damond

by damond

Yes, you just remove those 2 bolts and the Pod will get loose. Then you just swap the rings like you would normally do. as simple as that!

warp

by warp

damond wrote:Yes, you just remove those 2 bolts and the Pod will get loose. Then you just swap the rings like you would normally do. as simple as that!
Wow. That helps a lot! Thanks. Any idea of torque? Does it matter as it's only for the pod, not the strain gauge?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

damond

by damond

I've just swaped the rings of one today and it is as easy as that. Regarding the torque i have no ideia although it is a 2mm pair of bolts so you won't be able to overtorque them anyway :D

ms6073

by ms6073

Based on the image below, seems like one first removes the crank from the frame, then simply remove all 4-chainring bolts the same as a standard Shimano FC-8000/9100 crank, then carefully manuever the large chainring clear of the pod.

Last edited by ms6073 on Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

damond

by damond

Not possible, the big chainring will hit the pod and won´t move out. you have to remove the 2 bolts.

ms6073

by ms6073

Ah, yes, the image below makes it clear how the tight clearances with the 'pod' prevents the large chainring from moving.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

hiro11

by hiro11

My Power Pro's battery keeps draining to flat after ~300 miles or a couple of weeks of idle time. It's supposed to last far longer than this. I bought the bike about two months ago and the problem has occured since I got the bike.

Believing this to be a firmware issue, I've tried several times to update the firmware. Frustratingly, the Giant app needed for this process has proven to be extremely unreliable on my Galaxy S10. After some struggles and a recent update to the app, I've been able to update the firmware on one side. This process was hardly easy, it took multiple tries. The firmware update process continually fails on the left side, leaving me with two different versions of the firmware (!). The battery continues to drain far faster than it should.

I'm going to have the shop call Giant and figure out what to do. The meter seems to read fairly accurately, it seems like a good piece of equipment despite this problem. Information on this power meter is exteremly sparse on the internet, I thought I'd post something here.

warp

by warp

hiro11 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:41 pm
My Power Pro's battery keeps draining to flat after ~300 miles or a couple of weeks of idle time. It's supposed to last far longer than this. I bought the bike about two months ago and the problem has occured since I got the bike.
Same issue here. Doesn't bother me much as the batteries are rechargeable and they last for the duration of my typical ride. I wish it was better, though as there is no comparison with my Di2
hiro11 wrote:
Believing this to be a firmware issue, I've tried several times to update the firmware. Frustratingly, the Giant app needed for this process has proven to be extremely unreliable on my Galaxy S10. After some struggles and a recent update to the app, I've been able to update the firmware on one side. This process was hardly easy, it took multiple tries. The firmware update process continually fails on the left side, leaving me with two different versions of the firmware (!). The battery continues to drain far faster than it should.
I haven't had issues with my S10 trying to update the firmware or running the Giant app.
hiro11 wrote:
I'm going to have the shop call Giant and figure out what to do. The meter seems to read fairly accurately, it seems like a good piece of equipment despite this problem. Information on this power meter is exteremly sparse on the internet, I thought I'd post something here.
Now, this is where I started to have issues.
I ran a test by riding on my Kickr at the same time than my Power Pro. Actually, the Kickr was reading cadence from the Power Pro as there is no other cadence sensor on my bike. I did a ride in ERG mode (BLE on the Kickr), while recording the same ride on my Garmin (ANT+).

While riding, and corroborated from the data, the cadence was jumping up and down every second. I don't change cadence that quickly. As the Power Pro uses cadence into the calculation for power, the data came very jumpy. The power plot from the kickr showed a steady power for the duration of the interval, while on the Power Pro it looked like if I was riding outside. At about 100w, the Power Pro would read within 5w but at 200W it would be as far off as 20w.

Now, the average power came within 10w (out of 150w is still significant) from that of the Kickr and I could live with that, but being 20% of while busting my lungs is dodgy.

I need to do more testing and see how it goes. It was reading pretty good to me, but after a firmware update, the cadence data jumps up and down and I'm having issues with Power. However, I have not made a calibration lately of the Power Pro or a Spin Down on the Kickr... so I still need to find out more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com