Giant Power Pro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hiro11

by hiro11

warp wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:50 am
Same issue here. Doesn't bother me much as the batteries are rechargeable and they last for the duration of my typical ride. I wish it was better, though as there is no comparison with my Di2
Agreed, it's more annoying than anything. It charges in an hour or so, something I need to do every couple of weeks.
I haven't had issues with my S10 trying to update the firmware or running the Giant app.
Now that is interesting. The new build of the app is definitely more stable (in that it doesn't automatically force-quit upon open), but the firmware update process is definitely unreliable for me.

While riding, and corroborated from the data, the cadence was jumping up and down every second. I don't change cadence that quickly. As the Power Pro uses cadence into the calculation for power, the data came very jumpy. The power plot from the kickr showed a steady power for the duration of the interval, while on the Power Pro it looked like if I was riding outside. At about 100w, the Power Pro would read within 5w but at 200W it would be as far off as 20w.

Now, the average power came within 10w (out of 150w is still significant) from that of the Kickr and I could live with that, but being 20% of while busting my lungs is dodgy.

I need to do more testing and see how it goes. It was reading pretty good to me, but after a firmware update, the cadence data jumps up and down and I'm having issues with Power. However, I have not made a calibration lately of the Power Pro or a Spin Down on the Kickr... so I still need to find out more.
Good information. I'm personally more concerned about consistency and in that regard the Power Pro seems pretty good. I've ridden the bike in all kinds of conditions and I have obtained results that generally make sense.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bas

by bas

I've compared data from the power pro that came on my Propel to an Infocrank, current model SRM and a calibrated Computrainer.

The Power Pro is way out- like if I'm doing 350W real the power pro will be reading 370-380W. SRM, Infocrank and Computrainer are all within a few watts of each other.

Frustrating as I put it on my winter training bike but the data is basically rubbish.

Anyone else found this?

scapie

by scapie

bas wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:59 am
The Power Pro is way out- like if I'm doing 350W real the power pro will be reading 370-380W...
all i see here is positives lol..

gplama

by gplama

bas wrote:
I've compared data from the power pro that came on my Propel to an Infocrank, current model SRM and a calibrated Computrainer.

The Power Pro is way out- like if I'm doing 350W real the power pro will be reading 370-380W. SRM, Infocrank and Computrainer are all within a few watts of each other.

Frustrating as I put it on my winter training bike but the data is basically rubbish.

Anyone else found this?
Yes.

The Power Pro is an outlier though when it comes to Shimano cranks with gauges slapped on and sold as power meters. It reads high on the right. The cadence reporting also needs work. All detailed over on my YouTube.

bas

by bas

scapie wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:24 am
bas wrote:
The Power Pro is way out- like if I'm doing 350W real the power pro will be reading 370-380W...
all i see here is positives lol..
Ha ha i know. I thought I was coming into some huge form until my coach demanded I come into his studio and calibrate the crank against his Computrainer...

bas

by bas

gplama wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:50 am
bas wrote:

Anyone else found this?
Yes.

The Power Pro is an outlier though when it comes to Shimano cranks with gauges slapped on and sold as power meters. It reads high on the right. The cadence reporting also needs work. All detailed over on my YouTube.
Got a link? Any way to fix?

gplama

by gplama

bas wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:04 am
Got a link? Any way to fix?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-2o7DY4zVc

It's 18mins. Jump to around 15mins if you want the summary.

Is there a fix? That's up to Giant to see what they can squeeze from the Shimano crankset they're using as a base. More on this soon.

warp

by warp

bas wrote:

Anyone else found this?
In my case it was reading UNDER, depending on cadence it was 5w-10w or 20w-30w which makes me think it's related to cadence measurement (as other accelerometer based power meters) but again, I need more testing.

jkonst

by jkonst

Has anyone gotten any updates/fixes on this in the past month? I'm not totally clear if the inaccurate readings are a widespread issue or not, but it would be nice to hear that this has gotten resolved somehow...

gplama

by gplama

jkonst wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:00 pm
Has anyone gotten any updates/fixes on this in the past month? I'm not totally clear if the inaccurate readings are a widespread issue or not, but it would be nice to hear that this has gotten resolved somehow...
No updates. This is an inherent design issse with using Shimano cranksets with external strain guages.

It's widespread.

https://gplama.com/2019/06/29/shimano-c ... er-meters/

jkonst

by jkonst

gplama wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:15 pm
jkonst wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:00 pm
No updates. This is an inherent design issse with using Shimano cranksets with external strain guages.

It's widespread.

https://gplama.com/2019/06/29/shimano-c ... er-meters/
Got it, thanks for all the research and experimentation. The scientific method lives on!

bas

by bas

In fairness we shouldn’t expect a $40 glued on strain gauge to be all that accurate.
I’m using infocrank now. Doesn’t look as good but is accurate and consistent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk