New to disc? What do i need? (Basso Diamante)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Hey guys.

I'm making the jump to disc brakes. Just sold everything execpt for my etap group with quarq, and i've fallen in love with the new Basso Diamante disc 2019.

But what do I need from now on? Other than the obvious? New shifters, rotors, wheels and frame?

What to i choose? QR or thru-axle? Do i buy theese loose, or do I get them with the wheels? And I saw mavic made some sort of speed release?
I'm considering Zipp 404 disc wheels if this helps.

Thanks!

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

Axles should come with the frame if it has through axles or with the wheels if they are qr.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

I would say go thru axel if you can. I feel like it would allow for better alignment and disc centering.
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

jlok

by jlok

Specific frame design is required to work with Speed Release axle. So far there's only annondale SystemSix using that.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

As for tools, get yourself a Birzman Clam disc brake gap indicator. Makes setting the caliper perfect and simple. The best $8 (for3 ) you can spend.

Stitchking

by Stitchking

Thru axles are probably the main design pro of disc frames. They allow for much greater torsional stiffness over qr meaning the bike feels nicer when you throw it into a corner. They should come with the frame and fork but if you want to go weenie from the get go extralite do replacement ones that can usually shave roughly 60g off a pair.

Cant go wrong with 404s.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com