Schwalbe Pro One tubeless alternatives??

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The Bontrager R3 TLR I tried had some scary looking holes in the bead where the tire was folded in its packaging sleeve. Didn’t seem to be an issue though. They are heavy tires.

Bontrager sealant is decent. You just have to make sure to shake the bottle for about a minute before injecting it into the tire. The solid particles settle at the bottom of the bottle and congeal into a huge mass.

MattMay

by MattMay

Lewn777 wrote:
MattMay wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:42 pm
Lewn777 wrote:I've been through ten sets of mountain bike tubeless with Stans and three sets of tubeless/tubeless ready road tires with Orange sealant.

1. Schwalbe Pro One - Fast, great handling but very fragile.
2. Maxxis Padrones - Slow, mediocre handling, weak.
3. Panaracer race A Evo 3 - Fast, and tough, but expensive, a bit heavy and fairly short lived.

I'm sure over time there will be a no-brainer go-to tubeless road tire. However I haven't found it, and I don't have the time, money or interest in finding it. I love my Panaracer Race D Evo 3 with light butyl tubes.
Try the Bontrager R3. I still have a Pro One on my front wheel but as soon as it’s dying or dead I’ll replace it with an R3, which I have on the rear and love. It’s not cheap but it’s better than the Pro One in every way imho.
That's actually a good suggestion, we have good availability of Bonty/Trek bikes and parts here in Asia. What about sealant? You running Bontrager or Orange?
I use Orange, 40 ml. Mine are the R3 Hard-Case Lite TLR 26mm, and tipped my scale at 318g, which for me coming from mtb seems light.

by Weenie

DOUG

by DOUG

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:51 am
The Bontrager R3 TLR I tried had some scary looking holes in the bead where the tire was folded in its packaging sleeve. Didn’t seem to be an issue though. They are heavy tires.

Bontrager sealant is decent. You just have to make sure to shake the bottle for about a minute before injecting it into the tire. The solid particles settle at the bottom of the bottle and congeal into a huge mass.
I had one fail at the bead after a Grand Fondo event last year. The tyres were older (maybe 1-2 years old) but didnt have many km's on them, previous owner of the wheelset had maybe 200km on them and Id put about 500km on them at that point.. The bead on my front tyre split about 5-6cm in length while we were sitting on the grass eating lunch. 30mins prior I was bombing down the final hill into town at about 80km/h, could have been serious.

Other than that they were a pretty good tyre, quite heavy though (330g) and not the most supple + theyre really expensive in Australia. There are lots of options in that weight range that are more competitively priced. I definitely prefer the Pro Ones even if theyre not quote as puncture resistant.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

DOUG wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:27 am

I had one fail at the bead after a Grand Fondo event last year. The tyres were older (maybe 1-2 years old) but still. The bead on my front tyre split about 5-6cm in length while we were sitting on the grass eating lunch. 30mins prior I was bombing down the final hill into town at about 80km/h, could have been serious.

Other than that they were a pretty good tyre, quite heavy though (330g) and not the most supple + theyre really expensive in Australia. There are lots of options in that weight range that are more competitively priced. I definitely prefer the Pro Ones even if theyre not quote as puncture resistant.

Yikes, good to know I wasn't just being paranoid about the little cracks in the bead.

jlok

by jlok

20180901_145251.jpg
This is Giant Gavia Race 0 after 1300km. Should I worry about this?
Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 / BMC TM02 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Stitchking

by Stitchking

Has anyone tried the giant gavia slr 1 tyre? Claimed 255g for a 25 would put it on par with some of the lightest clincher tyres and latex tubes. Would be interested to know how well they last and how they feel to ride?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk