Schwalbe Pro One tubeless alternatives??

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
User avatar
Lewn777
Posts: 698
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

by Lewn777

mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:20 am
Lewn777 wrote:I've been through ten sets of mountain bike tubeless with Stans and three sets of tubeless/tubeless ready road tires with Orange sealant.

1. Schwalbe Pro One - Fast, great handling but very fragile.
2. Maxxis Padrones - Slow, mediocre handling, weak.
3. Panaracer race A Evo 3 - Fast, and tough, but expensive, a bit heavy and fairly short lived.

I'm sure over time there will be a no-brainer go-to tubeless road tire. However I haven't found it, and I don't have the time, money or interest in finding it. I love my Panaracer Race D Evo 3 with light butyl tubes.
When you say “expensive”, where are you getting your Panaracer from? They go for $34 www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&des ... 1&minor=27

Panaracer Race D EVO 3 (all season) is a bulletproof tire. To put this in perspective, Panaracer Race A EVO 3 puncture resistance is on par with Continental GP4season. There’s a valid data to back this up. Now, imagine Race D EVO 3 (all-season), it’s 2x as tough as Race A EVO 3. I think it’s way overbuilt with harsh ride.
People like you are the problem with this site at the moment. :evil: Trawling with Google, DESPERATE to prove other people wrong. :smartass: Why not come on a cycling web forum to discuss bikes?

Firstly you're confusing the non-tubeless version with the tubless version of the Race A Evo 3. The tubeless version costs about double. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... 315da1ae5b Secondly you've probably never even ridden on the tires I'm talking about. The Race A are slightly tougher and a bit slower than Conti GP2, and Race D are tougher, faster and less prone to pinch flats than Conti4 seasons. Of course you'll have some internet 'data' to prove how correct you are, and how my personal experience is 'wrong' because you're trying to WIN the internet. :(

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 3331
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

jfranci3 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:33 pm
Just as a datapoint, I got about 600mi (1000000 meters) out of a set of Hutchinson 11storm galatikiconinson Fissions. 1.5months on the bike, and they are down to the casing. They’re thin tires, but seems really low.
My Galactiks have 750mi on them and still pretty good on tread thickness. They do cut up pretty easily though. Not at all surprising for a 220g tire (weighs less than a Corsa Speed.)

I consider myself pretty hard on tires...1300mi out of Corsa G+ for example.

by Weenie


TobinHatesYou
Posts: 3331
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

Lewn777 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:10 pm

People like you are the problem with this site at the moment. :evil: Trawling with Google, DESPERATE to prove other people wrong. :smartass: Why not come on a cycling web forum to discuss bikes?

Firstly you're confusing the non-tubeless version with the tubless version of the Race A Evo 3. The tubeless version costs about double. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... 315da1ae5b Secondly you've probably never even ridden on the tires I'm talking about. The Race A are slightly tougher and a bit slower than Conti GP2, and Race D are tougher, faster and less prone to pinch flats than Conti4 seasons. Of course you'll have some internet 'data' to prove how correct you are, and how my personal experience is 'wrong' because you're trying to WIN the internet. :(

How about instead of trying to attack mpulsiv’s credibility with the utterly stupid “OMG GOOGLE” accusation, you step back a bit. The tubeless version is US$52 from the same shop and that makes it one of the cheapest road tubeless tires on the market. That’s where I bought mine from. The tires are pretty garbage for my purposes. Once I weighed them, it was fairly obvious they were going to be harsh and slow.

Also didn’t you just get done screeching about how one (I) should use Google more?


Lewn777 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:08 am

Instead of laughing at other people due to your silly baises try actually googling something about a subject and finding out some information. :smartass:
Okay some of the claims for Himalayan salt are Pseudoscience-ish, but no more so than some of the gels, bars and ISO powders most people comsume. Especially coming from someone that falls for the latest marketing-driven innovative marginal upgrade that comes along. :lol:

Yep.

User avatar
Lewn777
Posts: 698
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

by Lewn777

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:34 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:10 pm

People like you are the problem with this site at the moment. :evil: Trawling with Google, DESPERATE to prove other people wrong. :smartass: Why not come on a cycling web forum to discuss bikes?

Firstly you're confusing the non-tubeless version with the tubless version of the Race A Evo 3. The tubeless version costs about double. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... 315da1ae5b Secondly you've probably never even ridden on the tires I'm talking about. The Race A are slightly tougher and a bit slower than Conti GP2, and Race D are tougher, faster and less prone to pinch flats than Conti4 seasons. Of course you'll have some internet 'data' to prove how correct you are, and how my personal experience is 'wrong' because you're trying to WIN the internet. :(

How about instead of trying to attack mpulsiv’s credibility with the utterly stupid “OMG GOOGLE” accusation, you step back a bit. The tubeless version is US$52 from the same shop and that makes it one of the cheapest road tubeless tires on the market. That’s where I bought mine from. The tires are pretty garbage for my purposes. Once I weighed them, it was fairly obvious they were going to be harsh and slow.

Also didn’t you just get done screeching about how one (I) should use Google more?


Lewn777 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:08 am

Instead of laughing at other people due to your silly baises try actually googling something about a subject and finding out some information. :smartass:
Okay some of the claims for Himalayan salt are Pseudoscience-ish, but no more so than some of the gels, bars and ISO powders most people comsume. Especially coming from someone that falls for the latest marketing-driven innovative marginal upgrade that comes along. :lol:

Yep.
But HOW would anyone not be annoyed when someone that doesn't even know the difference between the tubeless version and a non-tubeless version of a tire that they haven't even freaking ridden on tries to educate someone else that has thousands of KMs on both? Are you from the USA? Well I've never been there. Can I start 'educating' you on the great lakes, mountain ranges and deserts of north America yet using Google as my friend?

So you looked at a tire, and weighed it? You didin't install it because it seemed like it might be harsh and slow? How is that not the hight of total arrogance? :noidea:
Last edited by Lewn777 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 3331
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

But I have ridden them.

bm0p700f
in the industry
Posts: 4718
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Glermsford, Suffolk U.K
Contact:

by bm0p700f

ms6073 I have been using the yskion ust tyres them for the past 2600km. I am hard on tyres and the back is nearly gone. probably around 1000km left in it. not too shabby but I use tyres that normally last me 6000km and give me fewer punctures. Pick up another one today but since there was no selant in the tyre (its been a loooong time since I topped up) its no surprise it did not seal until the pressure dropped off.. So i wont be using these tyres again, however for other people these are probably not a bad buy, it just does not work for me and typical u.k conditions like this morning. wet, wet, wet. The grip is good, wet grip better than fair (pretty good really) and the roll well. comfortbale too. They have cut up but not too badly but have let me down a few times nothing terminal though. They are well priced now too (thats one reason why selling them is pointless for shops but that another matter) so a good alternative to the pro one. in fact a very good alternative to the pro one. For me the Pro is garbage, it would be one of the most expensive tyres per mile I could buy except for the corsa speed or tomhatesyou favourites.

mpulsiv your link is to the tubed tyre I think. the tubeles tyre is more expensive in the u.k. Buying from a usa site is fine until it lands and you get VAT and duties and the handle charge on top. then you might as well have nbought it in the u.k at normal retail price. . I have a durable 340g tyre at the moment that gives a plush ride and is fast alsmost pro one quick (IRC roadlite) so why would i want to try something 50% more expensive and is by all accounts no better. I probably will just to try them.

Tom hates you tyre weight does not tell how it rides. it maybe a clue but the roadlites are one of the most comfortable tyres I have ever ridden and they are not far of the quickest. I have had rolling resistance tests done on them too and they were not bad however as I have issues with the way these test are done and the state of the roads round my neck of the woods I dont think that the BRR results (the largest database of CRR test on the web for free) will reflect how the tyres rank in the real world. hense i have not published them.

Some real world testing is needed on a range of tyres. however i lack the time.

User avatar
mpulsiv
Posts: 1284
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:17 pm

by mpulsiv

Lewn777 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:10 pm

People like you are the problem with this site at the moment. :evil: Trawling with Google, DESPERATE to prove other people wrong. :smartass: Why not come on a cycling web forum to discuss bikes?

Firstly you're confusing the non-tubeless version with the tubless version of the Race A Evo 3. The tubeless version costs about double. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... 315da1ae5b Secondly you've probably never even ridden on the tires I'm talking about. The Race A are slightly tougher and a bit slower than Conti GP2, and Race D are tougher, faster and less prone to pinch flats than Conti4 seasons. Of course you'll have some internet 'data' to prove how correct you are, and how my personal experience is 'wrong' because you're trying to WIN the internet. :(
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:34 pm
How about instead of trying to attack mpulsiv’s credibility with the utterly stupid “OMG GOOGLE” accusation, you step back a bit. The tubeless version is US$52 from the same shop and that makes it one of the cheapest road tubeless tires on the market. That’s where I bought mine from. The tires are pretty garbage for my purposes. Once I weighed them, it was fairly obvious they were going to be harsh and slow.

Also didn’t you just get done screeching about how one (I) should use Google more?

Lewn777 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:08 am

Instead of laughing at other people due to your silly baises try actually googling something about a subject and finding out some information. :smartass:
Okay some of the claims for Himalayan salt are Pseudoscience-ish, but no more so than some of the gels, bars and ISO powders most people comsume. Especially coming from someone that falls for the latest marketing-driven innovative marginal upgrade that comes along. :lol:

@Lewn777 There's no problem with the site, it's a problem with you my friend, accusing others of being trolls. I'm not here to DESPERATELY (sneeze at your CAPS voice) to prove you wrong, I'm here to contribute to the community. If I don't know something, I keep my mouth shut. I don't use GOOGLE to find my sources of information.

I was just asking you where you are geting your Panaracer, since you state that it's expensive. Also, I mentioned my experience with Panaracer Race D EVO 3 tires.
You turned ON your defensive mode and start with accusations.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

jfranci3
Posts: 587
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:21 pm

by jfranci3

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:12 pm
jfranci3 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:33 pm
Just as a datapoint, I got about 600mi (1000000 meters) out of a set of Hutchinson 11storm galatikiconinson Fissions. 1.5months on the bike, and they are down to the casing. They’re thin tires, but seems really low.
My Galactiks have 750mi on them and still pretty good on tread thickness. They do cut up pretty easily though. Not at all surprising for a 220g tire (weighs less than a Corsa Speed.)

I consider myself pretty hard on tires...1300mi out of Corsa G+ for example.
There clean wore off patches, that don't look like they were from brake lockup issues as there were no drag lines. Other parts of the tire look fine, so it's likely just that center strip. When I took off the tire, I saw 3-4 places where the goo had clotted a worn spot. Maybe these were just bad units.

Stitchking
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 7:30 am

by Stitchking

I love how emotional people can get over tyres. The passion is real

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk


User avatar
Lewn777
Posts: 698
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:35 am

by Lewn777

mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:08 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:10 pm

People like you are the problem with this site at the moment. :evil: Trawling with Google, DESPERATE to prove other people wrong. :smartass: Why not come on a cycling web forum to discuss bikes?

Firstly you're confusing the non-tubeless version with the tubless version of the Race A Evo 3. The tubeless version costs about double. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... 315da1ae5b Secondly you've probably never even ridden on the tires I'm talking about. The Race A are slightly tougher and a bit slower than Conti GP2, and Race D are tougher, faster and less prone to pinch flats than Conti4 seasons. Of course you'll have some internet 'data' to prove how correct you are, and how my personal experience is 'wrong' because you're trying to WIN the internet. :(
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:34 pm
How about instead of trying to attack mpulsiv’s credibility with the utterly stupid “OMG GOOGLE” accusation, you step back a bit. The tubeless version is US$52 from the same shop and that makes it one of the cheapest road tubeless tires on the market. That’s where I bought mine from. The tires are pretty garbage for my purposes. Once I weighed them, it was fairly obvious they were going to be harsh and slow.

Also didn’t you just get done screeching about how one (I) should use Google more?

Lewn777 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:08 am

Instead of laughing at other people due to your silly baises try actually googling something about a subject and finding out some information. :smartass:
Okay some of the claims for Himalayan salt are Pseudoscience-ish, but no more so than some of the gels, bars and ISO powders most people comsume. Especially coming from someone that falls for the latest marketing-driven innovative marginal upgrade that comes along. :lol:
@Lewn777 There's no problem with the site, it's a problem with you my friend, accusing others of being trolls. I'm not here to DESPERATELY (sneeze at your CAPS voice) to prove you wrong, I'm here to contribute to the community. If I don't know something, I keep my mouth shut. I don't use GOOGLE to find my sources of information.

I was just asking you where you are geting your Panaracer, since you state that it's expensive. Also, I mentioned my experience with Panaracer Race D EVO 3 tires.
You turned ON your defensive mode and start with accusations.
You prove my point again. You don't even read other people's posts. :roll:
[Please read] There are two versions of the Panaracer Race A Evo 3. One is tubeless the other isn't. [/Please read] The tubeless one is expensive, the non-tubeless one is relatively cheap. You knew nothing so you should have kept your mouth shut, therefore you don't even follow your own rules.

You entered the discussion not to help the OP with alternatives to the uselessly fragile (IMHO) Schwalbe Pro One, but in an attempt to correct someone using Google to make someone else look wrong and yourself clever.

Get back to the basics. Have you tried any Hutchinson, Mavics, IRC etc to help the OP find alternative tubeless tires?

bm0p700f
in the industry
Posts: 4718
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Glermsford, Suffolk U.K
Contact:

by bm0p700f

Oh dear. Back to the thread please. I have inspected my Mavic yskion UST 28mm rear tyre. 2600km and it's squared off so there's not another 1000km in it. There more cuts in it than I thought and a big sidewall cut. I'm riding home on it because it's too late to faff around. Besides what could possibly go wrong....

nachetetm
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:54 pm

by nachetetm

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:53 pm
Oh dear. Back to the thread please. I have inspected my Mavic yskion UST 28mm rear tyre. 2600km and it's squared off so there's not another 1000km in it. There more cuts in it than I thought and a big sidewall cut. I'm riding home on it because it's too late to faff around. Besides what could possibly go wrong....
Can you tell us what is their real size? Do they balloon or do they stick to the stated width?

User avatar
DOUG
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:54 pm

by DOUG

I think the Pro Ones are pretty good for lighter riders (im 62kg) and as bm0p700f mentions, if you don't ride in the rain often they are reasonably durable, but the same could be said for most lightweight performance tyres anyway. I'm up to about 2000km on my Pro Ones and aside from a big slash from a piece of glass (fixed with 2 dynaplugs and still going strong) they havent punctured and I find Im getting less cuts than the GP4000s II's I used to run. The rear hasn't squared off much at all so I think I'll get around 3500km out of a rear tyre before its done. Im interested in trying the Hutchisons but so far the Pro One has been an excellent tyre but of course YMMV

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 3331
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

jfranci3 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:28 pm

There clean wore off patches, that don't look like they were from brake lockup issues as there were no drag lines. Other parts of the tire look fine, so it's likely just that center strip. When I took off the tire, I saw 3-4 places where the goo had clotted a worn spot. Maybe these were just bad units.

Yeah, I know. Big patches with visible cords underneath, looks like the tire just split in half. That seems to be how all Hutchinsons go in the end. It was especially common with the previous incarnation of the Fusion 5 Galactik (non-11Storm.) I’m just surprised yours only lasted 600mi instead of the 1200-1500 I would have expected.

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 3331
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

nachetetm wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:39 pm
bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:53 pm
Oh dear. Back to the thread please. I have inspected my Mavic yskion UST 28mm rear tyre. 2600km and it's squared off so there's not another 1000km in it. There more cuts in it than I thought and a big sidewall cut. I'm riding home on it because it's too late to faff around. Besides what could possibly go wrong....
Can you tell us what is their real size? Do they balloon or do they stick to the stated width?

They balloon up a bit. On a 21mm hookless rim, my 28mm Yksion Pro USTs were 31mm.

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post