Schwalbe Pro One tubeless alternatives??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jfranci3

by jfranci3

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:45 pm
Wot?
Yeah, wonky transition from main tread to sidewall while cornering. There's an instance of undampened movement in the tire (on my 25c tubeless at 85psi) as you roll onto the cornering part of the tire. I handn't felt this with other tires before.

lemos

by lemos

uhmmm No one is mentioning the Vittoria Corsa Speed. Do they suck? they are supposed to be pretty quick.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

lemos wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:50 am
uhmmm No one is mentioning the Vittoria Corsa Speed. Do they suck? they are supposed to be pretty quick.
They are pure raceday tires with extremely limited tread life and durability. I’d only use them in a TT.

ms6073

by ms6073

If the Corsa Speed tubeless tires are anything like the Vittoria Corsa G+ clinchers we used before switching to tubeless, then based on tread life on Texas roads, I rarely exceeded 1500 miles before the center tread got thin and required tire change. While I did not mind as those tires paired with latex tubes rolled nearly as well as tubulars, until rolling over a broken glass bottle a couple weeks back, I have enjoyed not having to change tires or flats in nearly 6-months since going tubeless with Schwalbe Pro Ones and Orange Seal Endurance sealant.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

gzon

by gzon

If tyre life is important go for the Hutchinson 11 Storm All Season. I have about 3500 km on them and plenty to go although the rear has developed a flat area but all tyres do that.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Tread thickness (and pattern on the All-Season) seems to be the only material difference between the Galactik, Performance and All-Season. There is only one “11Storm” compound and they all have the same construction otherwise.

Also anyone considering buying these, make sure you get the TLR version and not the Tubeless version.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

lemos wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:50 am
I have wanted to try them becasue by all accounts they are a very fast tire, BUT... Also by all accounts the tread life is horendously short. I've seen people claim to have only been able to squeeze 900mi out of them. I ride about 6-8,000mi/year, so even if I put them on my weekend wheels I'd probably be going through a couple sets a year.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Stitchking

by Stitchking

lemos wrote:uhmmm No one is mentioning the Vittoria Corsa Speed. Do they suck? they are supposed to be pretty quick.
As stated by others, super short lifespan. Apart from that, they're the fasted tested tyre out there (at the time of their release) and they feel awesome. Ef drapac used them on their tt bikes for the ttt at the tour this year. I would only run for a time trial though tbh. Ultra thin and they basically rely on sealant for puncture protection

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Miller

by Miller

I have the Vittoria Corsa Speed in 23mm on my front TT wheel. It's a very thin tyre, especially for tubeless. The bead is tight and getting the tyre onto the rim took some force. It mounted correctly and sealed without hassle. It's a lovely tyre to ride with, fast and makes a nice singing noise.

Definitely not a general use tyre.

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:48 pm
Tread thickness (and pattern on the All-Season) seems to be the only material difference between the Galactik, Performance and All-Season. There is only one “11Storm” compound and they all have the same construction otherwise.

Also anyone considering buying these, make sure you get the TLR version and not the Tubeless version.
I assume you're saying this assuming someone has a non-sealed rim and is using rim-tape, correct? Because full tubeless tires run just fine on my Shamal Ultra 2-Way wheels and are also usable on the new Campagnolo WTO disc wheels as well.

Given the choice I'd rather use the regular tubeless over the TLR version.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The tlr version is lighter I think. I prefer different tyres as the Hutchinson storm 11 tyres wear a bit too quickly.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

EvilEuro wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:24 pm

I assume you're saying this assuming someone has a non-sealed rim and is using rim-tape, correct? Because full tubeless tires run just fine on my Shamal Ultra 2-Way wheels and are also usable on the new Campagnolo WTO disc wheels as well.

Given the choice I'd rather use the regular tubeless over the TLR version.
No, I mean any normal person is going to be using sealant anyway and the TLR tires are significantly lighter, even with 40mL worth of sealant. They almost certainly have better rolling resistance and feel more supple.

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

I have had far worse results with TLR tires on my wheels than actual tubeless tires. I tried the Vittoria Corsas and they just wouldn't seat, period. Same with the Maxxis Padrone TLR and the Bontrager R3 TLR.

Hutchinson Fusion 3 and 5 Galactiks both tore down the center seam on multiple tires and cut up as easy or worse than Schwalbe Pro One tires. I loved the feel of the Schwalbe Pro One, but they were too prone to severe cuts and just didn't last long at all.

Every tubeless tire though has seated and held just fine. I've always run with sealant, even with tubeless tires, simply because otherwise I'm going to go flat with a cut otherwise. With sealant I've lost pressure, but am able to continue to ride 99% of the time. The only time I couldn't continue was because I picked up a giant slash in a sidewall that no amount of sealant was ever going to seal.

As for tires, I've used a fair amount of them but it would take something seriously better performing to get me off of the IRC Formula Pro RBCC tubeless tires. They're hard as hell to find at a decent price in the US, so I have got them from bm0p700f at The Cycle Clinic in the past. Great ride, nice supple feel, yet tough and hard to cut up. My present set have over 2k miles on them and the only thing that has happened to them is a little bit of squaring out of the rear tire. But that happens with all tires over time.

I'm curious to try the Fusion 5 Performance 11 Storm, but have been so happy with the IRCs that I really have no great urge to make the switch.

hannawald

by hannawald

Can somebody confirm Hutchinson storm 25 tlr weight 225g as reported on forum? because officialy they are 240g and it is very rare that real weight is so below claimed.. thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Global

by Global

That was me who reported weight one was 220 the other 225. Those were the galactic 25s. Also my 28s 11 storm performance came in at 270 slightly under spec.
Global :)