Schwalbe Pro One tubeless alternatives??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

I got around 3000 miles on my rear Pro One 28mm run tubeless with orange seal. It was quite cut up and had a good dozen small sealed holes but I didn't once have to plug it or break the bead for any reason. The tread was probably a little more worn than I should have let it get, but I was lazy in replacing it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

How heavy are you?
Last edited by bm0p700f on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

My yskion ust tyres on 20mm internal width velocity ailerons are 29mm wide. To me they don't balloon at all. Tyres may balloon more on hookless rims. 21mm internal width is really wide. To me that's for 28mm tyres only or wider.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Weight has a small hand in it, but yes it's mostly accelerations. Urban riding will wear down a tire. Fast descents will wear down a tire if you break late. Fast cornering even without braking will wear down a tire because you are still accelerating (direction/vector changes are accelerations.)

I'm light as hell, never skid and typically don't get 2000mi out of a rear Pro One.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bm0p700f wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:01 am
My yskion ust tyres on 20mm internal width velocity ailerons are 29mm wide. To me they don't balloon at all. Tyres may balloon more on hookless rims. 21mm internal width is really wide. To me that's for 28mm tyres only or wider.

I've mounted 25mm tires on them. At 80psi, the 25mm Yksions were 28.1mm.

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

bm0p700f wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:56 am
How heavy are you?
I’m 68 kg. I ride quite aggressively and most of my miles are proper climbs and descents here in the front range of Colorado. I also commute on cycle paths about 50 miles a week in all kinds of weather. (This is my only bike and I commute everyday, rain, snow, or shine.) I also have probably done a hundred or so miles on gravel roads of various types, both flat roads and steep climbs/descents.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Stitchking wrote:I love how emotional people can get over tyres. The passion is real

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
If you think this is bad, go check out the disk brake threads Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aeo

by Aeo

Rear 25 mm Pro One lasts pretty much 3,000 km on the dot for me. 12,000 km on the front.
85 kg rider on rougher, rural roads.
They are on 18 mm internal/25 mm external Nextie rims, inflated to 80/85 psi, which I don't top up religiously and therefore goes down to 65 psi regularly.
Front is 27.8 mm, rear 28.8 mm wide after 2,100 km.
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Lewn777 wrote:I've been through ten sets of mountain bike tubeless with Stans and three sets of tubeless/tubeless ready road tires with Orange sealant.

1. Schwalbe Pro One - Fast, great handling but very fragile.
2. Maxxis Padrones - Slow, mediocre handling, weak.
3. Panaracer race A Evo 3 - Fast, and tough, but expensive, a bit heavy and fairly short lived.

I'm sure over time there will be a no-brainer go-to tubeless road tire. However I haven't found it, and I don't have the time, money or interest in finding it. I love my Panaracer Race D Evo 3 with light butyl tubes.
mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:20 am
When you say “expensive”, where are you getting your Panaracer from? They go for $34 www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&des ... 1&minor=27

Panaracer Race D EVO 3 (all season) is a bulletproof tire. To put this in perspective, Panaracer Race A EVO 3 puncture resistance is on par with Continental GP4season. There’s a valid data to back this up. Now, imagine Race D EVO 3 (all-season), it’s 2x as tough as Race A EVO 3. I think it’s way overbuilt with harsh ride.
Lewn777 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:10 pm
People like you are the problem with this site at the moment. :evil: Trawling with Google, DESPERATE to prove other people wrong. :smartass: Why not come on a cycling web forum to discuss bikes?

Firstly you're confusing the non-tubeless version with the tubless version of the Race A Evo 3. The tubeless version costs about double. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... 315da1ae5b Secondly you've probably never even ridden on the tires I'm talking about. The Race A are slightly tougher and a bit slower than Conti GP2, and Race D are tougher, faster and less prone to pinch flats than Conti4 seasons. Of course you'll have some internet 'data' to prove how correct you are, and how my personal experience is 'wrong' because you're trying to WIN the internet. :(
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:34 pm
How about instead of trying to attack mpulsiv’s credibility with the utterly stupid “OMG GOOGLE” accusation, you step back a bit. The tubeless version is US$52 from the same shop and that makes it one of the cheapest road tubeless tires on the market. That’s where I bought mine from. The tires are pretty garbage for my purposes. Once I weighed them, it was fairly obvious they were going to be harsh and slow.

Also didn’t you just get done screeching about how one (I) should use Google more?
Lewn777 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:08 am
Instead of laughing at other people due to your silly baises try actually googling something about a subject and finding out some information. :smartass:
Okay some of the claims for Himalayan salt are Pseudoscience-ish, but no more so than some of the gels, bars and ISO powders most people comsume. Especially coming from someone that falls for the latest marketing-driven innovative marginal upgrade that comes along. :lol:
mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:08 pm
@Lewn777 There's no problem with the site, it's a problem with you my friend, accusing others of being trolls. I'm not here to DESPERATELY (sneeze at your CAPS voice) to prove you wrong, I'm here to contribute to the community. If I don't know something, I keep my mouth shut. I don't use GOOGLE to find my sources of information.

I was just asking you where you are geting your Panaracer, since you state that it's expensive. Also, I mentioned my experience with Panaracer Race D EVO 3 tires.
You turned ON your defensive mode and start with accusations.
Lewn777 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:57 pm
You prove my point again. You don't even read other people's posts. :roll:
[Please read] There are two versions of the Panaracer Race A Evo 3. One is tubeless the other isn't. [/Please read] The tubeless one is expensive, the non-tubeless one is relatively cheap. You knew nothing so you should have kept your mouth shut, therefore you don't even follow your own rules.

You entered the discussion not to help the OP with alternatives to the uselessly fragile (IMHO) Schwalbe Pro One, but in an attempt to correct someone using Google to make someone else look wrong and yourself clever.

Get back to the basics. Have you tried any Hutchinson, Mavics, IRC etc to help the OP find alternative tubeless tires?
@Lewn777 Did you cool off yet? If not, go race your bike!
First, you start your offense with CAPS, but it's not enough, so make it BOLD font. Accuse me that I know nothing!
I own Panaracer tires and well aware of tubed and tubeless. I had no intention to prove anything to you. Stop bringing Google into this discussion. As I said, I don't use Google to find my sources of information. I provided feedback of Panaracer Race D EVO 3 from direct experience but you seem to ignore it twice.
You just blew your fuse, telling me that I entered the discussion in the attempt to correct someone using Google to make someone else look wrong and yourself clever.
Really? :doh:
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Can we get back to the topic?

nachetetm

by nachetetm

TobinHatesYou wrote:
bm0p700f wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:01 am

I've mounted 25mm tires on them. At 80psi, the 25mm Yksions were 28.1mm.
Thanks to both of you for the info. My rear clearance is fine but the front is more tight and certain 28c tires tend to grow too much for my fork. For my kind or riding these mavics (or the equivalent Hutchinson) seem to be perfect. Once I wear down my current tires I'm going tubeless for sure.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I am using the 28mm tyre on the ailerons. I have mounted a 25mm yskion to a Mavic op UST rim and it was wait for it 25.5mm wide at 80psi. I inflate the 28mm tyres to 80psi too as that bike is heavy.

ms6073

by ms6073

For me, Schwalbe Pro One 28's mounted on Nox Composite Falcor 36D (~20 mm internal at the bead hook; 21.8mm at the rim bed) inflated to 80-psi yields 30.1 mm width. Will be mounting 25's on the wife's bike as despite ~78-psi, she commented last Sunday that with the 28's, it felt like her tires were flat/under-inflated.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

MattMay

by MattMay

Lewn777 wrote:I've been through ten sets of mountain bike tubeless with Stans and three sets of tubeless/tubeless ready road tires with Orange sealant.

3. Panaracer race A Evo 3 - Fast, and tough, but expensive, a bit heavy and fairly short lived.

I'm sure over time there will be a no-brainer go-to tubeless road tire. However I haven't found it, and I don't have the time, money or interest in finding it. I love my Panaracer Race D Evo 3 with light butyl tubes.
Try the Bontrager R3. I still have a Pro One on my front wheel but as soon as it’s dying or dead I’ll replace it with an R3, which I have on the rear and love. It’s not cheap but it’s better than the Pro One in every way imho.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

MattMay wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:42 pm

Try the Bontrager R3. I still have a Pro One on my front wheel but as soon as it’s dying or dead I’ll replace it with an R3, which I have on the rear and love. It’s not cheap but it’s better than the Pro One in every way imho.
That's actually a good suggestion, we have good availability of Bonty/Trek bikes and parts here in Asia. What about sealant? You running Bontrager or Orange?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com