Schwalbe Pro One tubeless alternatives??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The Bontrager R3 TLR I tried had some scary looking holes in the bead where the tire was folded in its packaging sleeve. Didn’t seem to be an issue though. They are heavy tires.

Bontrager sealant is decent. You just have to make sure to shake the bottle for about a minute before injecting it into the tire. The solid particles settle at the bottom of the bottle and congeal into a huge mass.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MattMay

by MattMay

Lewn777 wrote:
MattMay wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:42 pm
Lewn777 wrote:I've been through ten sets of mountain bike tubeless with Stans and three sets of tubeless/tubeless ready road tires with Orange sealant.

1. Schwalbe Pro One - Fast, great handling but very fragile.
2. Maxxis Padrones - Slow, mediocre handling, weak.
3. Panaracer race A Evo 3 - Fast, and tough, but expensive, a bit heavy and fairly short lived.

I'm sure over time there will be a no-brainer go-to tubeless road tire. However I haven't found it, and I don't have the time, money or interest in finding it. I love my Panaracer Race D Evo 3 with light butyl tubes.
Try the Bontrager R3. I still have a Pro One on my front wheel but as soon as it’s dying or dead I’ll replace it with an R3, which I have on the rear and love. It’s not cheap but it’s better than the Pro One in every way imho.
That's actually a good suggestion, we have good availability of Bonty/Trek bikes and parts here in Asia. What about sealant? You running Bontrager or Orange?
I use Orange, 40 ml. Mine are the R3 Hard-Case Lite TLR 26mm, and tipped my scale at 318g, which for me coming from mtb seems light.

DOUG

by DOUG

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:51 am
The Bontrager R3 TLR I tried had some scary looking holes in the bead where the tire was folded in its packaging sleeve. Didn’t seem to be an issue though. They are heavy tires.

Bontrager sealant is decent. You just have to make sure to shake the bottle for about a minute before injecting it into the tire. The solid particles settle at the bottom of the bottle and congeal into a huge mass.
I had one fail at the bead after a Grand Fondo event last year. The tyres were older (maybe 1-2 years old) but didnt have many km's on them, previous owner of the wheelset had maybe 200km on them and Id put about 500km on them at that point.. The bead on my front tyre split about 5-6cm in length while we were sitting on the grass eating lunch. 30mins prior I was bombing down the final hill into town at about 80km/h, could have been serious.

Other than that they were a pretty good tyre, quite heavy though (330g) and not the most supple + theyre really expensive in Australia. There are lots of options in that weight range that are more competitively priced. I definitely prefer the Pro Ones even if theyre not quote as puncture resistant.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

DOUG wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:27 am

I had one fail at the bead after a Grand Fondo event last year. The tyres were older (maybe 1-2 years old) but still. The bead on my front tyre split about 5-6cm in length while we were sitting on the grass eating lunch. 30mins prior I was bombing down the final hill into town at about 80km/h, could have been serious.

Other than that they were a pretty good tyre, quite heavy though (330g) and not the most supple + theyre really expensive in Australia. There are lots of options in that weight range that are more competitively priced. I definitely prefer the Pro Ones even if theyre not quote as puncture resistant.

Yikes, good to know I wasn't just being paranoid about the little cracks in the bead.

jlok

by jlok

20180901_145251.jpg
This is Giant Gavia Race 0 after 1300km. Should I worry about this?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Stitchking

by Stitchking

Has anyone tried the giant gavia slr 1 tyre? Claimed 255g for a 25 would put it on par with some of the lightest clincher tyres and latex tubes. Would be interested to know how well they last and how they feel to ride?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

petert123

by petert123

ggman wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:22 am
Does anyone know of a good ulternatve to Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tyres?

I love the Pro Ones, they’re quick and light, however they just do not last, especially on English roads. On my first ride using them I had a 4mm split in the tyre that required plugging and had to resort to running them with tubes shortly after.
My exact experience, don't touch these tyres unless you like fixing punctures at the side of the road. I ditched tubeless and went back to inner tubes.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

[/quote]My exact experience, don't touch these tyres unless you like fixing punctures at the side of the road. I ditched tubeless and went back to inner tubes.
[/quote]

Everybody's 'mileage' varies.. my experience quite different. I'm 5-6,000 w road tube-ass.. and would never go back to twooobes.
3,000 this winter 5 mos on the roads of south Tx... no 'rescue' calls to the home base.. none. I am not even running a designated tubeless tire.. Continental Ultra ll's... 25 and 32 wire beads.. w orange endurance. A good deal of road memories... glass cuts and punctures.. only once the psi's required a top off... and that because the sealant was due for refreshment.

The Pro Ones are excellent tires to ride.. have a set I just rotated for another experiment. Having sat all winter and that movement meant no go for bead set dry.. some orange and time in the warm allowing the sealant to flow/congeal slightly and round they are. Had no issues road sealing punctures.. making sure the sealant is viable. Yes wear mileage means cost per mile is high.. but their fun... too costly to run for a fitness rider like myself daily. :arrow: Well ...not really.. I like to mess w other options.

Had a time getting rolling w tube-ass.. hence that moniker. Once I avoided u-boob video's and likewise half baked ad-vise .. took the issues on.. the learning was no chore. One just dives in... no more f'n nonsense roadside chging out a toooob... no dirty hand mess and grease getting/finding it's way onto clothing.. et al. The orange does the job.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Schwalbe G-One Speed Tubeless Road Tire 700 x 30 Folding Bead... anyone w any experience w this rubber?

11600951 30-622 (700 x 30C) MicroSkin, TLE, V-Guard OneStar Black $80.00 Expand
Size700 x 30C
ExecutionEvolution Line, Folding Bead https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tire ... -ONE_Speed
ColorBlack
Weight330 g
Load70 kg
PSI50-80
EPI127
ECE
Tube16
Price$80.00...... https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Schwalbe-G ... Swgh5blqrA
Art.No.11600951
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

Miller

by Miller

WinterRider wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:47 pm
Schwalbe G-One Speed Tubeless Road Tire 700 x 30 Folding Bead... anyone w any experience w this rubber?
Yes, lots. I have a pair mostly worn out, ridden loads last year. Love them. They're kind of a rough tarmac / light gravel sort of tyre. You wouldn't use them for road racing really but for 30mm rubber they're fast and grippy. Not invulnerable but curiously the only leaks I had with them occurred on tarmac whereas when I hammered through flinty off-road, nothing happened.

devonbiker

by devonbiker

I guess all the contribiutions to this thread were before the Continental GP5000 TL was released? Surely this new tyre is the middle ground between a fast and grippy tubeless tyre and one that is durable enough to cope with British roads on a daily basis? I got them on my TCR and can't complain so far. They seem to roll better than Giant Gavia AC1 - I can get 30mph on the flat with these using only 30mm deep climbing wheels.

dim

by dim

devonbiker wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:48 pm
I guess all the contribiutions to this thread were before the Continental GP5000 TL was released? Surely this new tyre is the middle ground between a fast and grippy tubeless tyre and one that is durable enough to cope with British roads on a daily basis? I got them on my TCR and can't complain so far. They seem to roll better than Giant Gavia AC1 - I can get 30mph on the flat with these using only 30mm deep climbing wheels.
+1 for the Continental GP5000 TL

I have approx 2300km on mine (25mm wide) and they have been great .... zero punctures on shitty roads in the dry and wet.... grip good and are fast ... they still look good and I'm hoping for much more miles before I replace them with the same

one thing I have noticed though is that from time to time some of the tread comes off (hard to explain, but you get a loose thread on the side (thinner than a hair strand) .... I just clip it off (I've had this on both the front and rear tyre)

I'm so impressed with these tyres, that I've bought a set of Continental GP5000 clinchers in 32mm for my touring bike (Miyata One Thousand)
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

refthimos

by refthimos

Other than hookless rims (e.g. Enve 4.5 AR disc), I'm having a hard time justifying ANY tire other than the 5000 TL for really ANY use case.

The rolling resistance of the 5000 TL is within 1 watt of the Corsa Speed TLR, the fastest road tire tested. But the Corsa Speed TLR is a rather risky tire to race on, much less train on. It's notoriously fragile and while it feels amazing when it's intact, it's not so great when it flats (like all other tires). I would estimate that I have about 50,000km on tubeless tires, and would break down those kms as follows: 48,000 km on Scwhalbe Pro One, 500 km on Corsa Speed TLR, and 1,500 km on 5000 TL.

Discounting flats that sealed themselves while I was riding, requiring no stopping (often not realizing I had flatted until home and seeing sealant spray on the back of the seat tube), I've had (as best as I can remember), 3 flats on Pro Ones, 3 flats on Corsa Speed TLRs, and no flats (yet) on the 5000 TLs.

With the rolling resistance so close between the Corsa Speed TLRs and the 5000 TLs, I'm not sure I would risk the Corsa Speed TLRs, even in a race.

What about Graphene 2.0? Well, if you believe bicyclerollingresistance.com, Graphene 2.0 may well be slower than Graphene 1.0. They certainly measured the new Corsa G2.0 as rolling considerably slower than the 5000 TL. And slower than the prior version Corsa with Graphene 1.0.

It's hard not to look at the 5000 TL and call it a total home run.

I'll still need Pro Ones for my Enve 4.5 AR discs, though I may give the Corsas a shot there. Other than that, it's 5000 TL for everything else.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I've had two sidewall failures on 25mm GP5K TLs at 70-75psi after hitting potholes...race pace. GP5K TL sidewalls are only .95mm thick according to BRR, very thin for a tubeless tire. Combined with the difficulty I had mounting them on 5.6s (now corroborated by that Ronald Kuba YouTuber,) I likely won't use GP5K TLs except during TTs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

refthimos

by refthimos

Double post
Last edited by refthimos on Sat May 25, 2019 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast