Schwalbe Pro One tubeless alternatives??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Most of mine have been at or under 220g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

Can confirm lower Galactik weight than claimed. Ordered two from Sigma sport, 222 and 223g. I was surprised Hutchinson recommends 7 bar, I would expect something around 6 bar..how much do you inflate?

refthimos

by refthimos

ggman wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:22 am
Does anyone know of a good ulternatve to Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tyres?

I love the Pro Ones, they’re quick and light, however they just do not last, especially on English roads. On my first ride using them I had a 4mm split in the tyre that required plugging and had to resort to running them with tubes shortly after.
That is unfortunate you had a bad first ride, but have you considered it may have been a fluke? I probably have over 20K miles on tubeless now, almost all of them on Pro Ones, and can count on one hand the number of flats that sealant didn't fix. Prior to making the tubeless switch, my standard clincher tire was the GP4000SII and I would consider the Pro Ones to be roughly the tubeless equivalent of that tire - fairly ideal combination of low rolling resistance and puncture protection. I do think the Pro Ones can be a little more unpredictable cornering in the wet, but I live in Southern California and so I rarely have to worry about that. If you went to tubes in your Pro Ones after that bad first ride experience, then maybe give them another chance tubeless - I've arrived home after a number of rides to see sealant spray on the back of my seattube, realizing only then that I suffered a "flat" on my ride that had been sealed without me even knowing it. Those same flats likely would have punctured an inner tube. I would guess that if I ran Pro Ones with tubes rather than sealant, my flat count over the last couple years would increase from maybe 2 to 10-12. Which is a huge difference.

Anyone suggesting the Corsa Speeds is not reading your post - even with sealant, they are incredibly fragile. I use them only for TT/hillclimbs and even then won't use them for more than 200 miles or so. It was either a video or a podcast - I forget which one - but I believe the EF Drapac team said that they change them for every TT! I laughed when I heard this, because I basically do the same. Yes I could maybe squeeze more miles out of them, but I would rather pay for new tires than to have a race ended with a flat. And I have flatted these tires (luckily in training/testing) at a very high rate despite having relatively few miles on them. They feel awesome, they are wicked fast, but fragile!
Last edited by refthimos on Thu May 23, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

jhalmar

by jhalmar

I have ridden Corsa Speeds 25mm (on Roval CLX 50 disc, 25ml Orange Seal Endurance/tire) 760km in Finland on every kind of tarmac without any problems. I planned just to test those briefly and switch to Pro Ones but I might keep on testing until...

refthimos

by refthimos

jhalmar wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:47 pm
I have ridden Corsa Speeds 25mm (on Roval CLX 50 disc, 25ml Orange Seal Endurance/tire) 760km in Finland on every kind of tarmac without any problems. I planned just to test those briefly and switch to Pro Ones but I might keep on testing until...
Go buy a lottery ticket! Now! :wink:
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

MattMay

by MattMay

Just replaced a Schwalbe Pro One that had sidewall damage with a Bontrager R3 26mm, 320g. Aired up easily with floor pump. Feels less fragile than the Pro One.

jlok

by jlok

refthimos wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:25 pm
jhalmar wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:47 pm
Go buy a lottery ticket! Now! :wink:
I used the 23mm on my CLX 50 Disc front wheel for 1000km. Will buy a ticket tonight. :beerchug:
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

jlok

by jlok

refthimos wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:44 pm
ggman wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:22 am
Does anyone know of a good ulternatve to Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tyres?

I love the Pro Ones, they’re quick and light, however they just do not last, especially on English roads. On my first ride using them I had a 4mm split in the tyre that required plugging and had to resort to running them with tubes shortly after.
That is unfortunate you had a bad first ride, but have you considered it may have been a fluke? I probably have over 20K miles on tubeless now, almost all of them on Pro Ones, and can count on one hand the number of flats that sealant didn't fix. Prior to making the tubeless switch, my standard clincher tire was the GP4000SII and I would consider the Pro Ones to be roughly the tubeless equivalent of that tire - fairly ideal combination of low rolling resistance and puncture protection. I do think the Pro Ones can be a little more unpredictable cornering in the wet, but I live in Southern California and so I rarely have to worry about that. If you went to tubes in your Pro Ones after that bad first ride experience, then maybe give them another chance tubeless - I've arrived home after a number of rides to see sealant spray on my downtube, realizing only then that I suffered a "flat" on my ride that had been sealed without me even knowing it. Those same flats likely would have punctured an inner tube. I would guess that if I ran Pro Ones with tubes rather than sealant, my flat count over the last couple years would increase from maybe 2 to 10-12. Which is a huge difference.

Anyone suggesting the Corsa Speeds is not reading your post - even with sealant, they are incredibly fragile. I use them only for TT/hillclimbs and even then won't use them for more than 200 miles or so. It was either a video or a podcast - I forget which one - but I believe the EF Drapac team said that they change them for every TT! I laughed when I heard this, because I basically do the same. Yes I could maybe squeeze more miles out of them, but I would rather pay for new tires than to have a race ended with a flat. And I have flatted these tires (luckily in training/testing) at a very high rate despite having relatively few miles on them. They feel awesome, they are wicked fast, but fragile!
The Pro One is easy to predict in wet. If you go too fast you will go down as well... done that... a very silly spill :noidea:
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I've been through ten sets of mountain bike tubeless with Stans and three sets of tubeless/tubeless ready road tires with Orange sealant.

1. Schwalbe Pro One - Fast, great handling but very fragile.
2. Maxxis Padrones - Slow, mediocre handling, weak.
3. Panaracer race A Evo 3 - Fast, and tough, but expensive, a bit heavy and fairly short lived.

I'm sure over time there will be a no-brainer go-to tubeless road tire. However I haven't found it, and I don't have the time, money or interest in finding it. I love my Panaracer Race D Evo 3 with light butyl tubes.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Lewn777 wrote:I've been through ten sets of mountain bike tubeless with Stans and three sets of tubeless/tubeless ready road tires with Orange sealant.

1. Schwalbe Pro One - Fast, great handling but very fragile.
2. Maxxis Padrones - Slow, mediocre handling, weak.
3. Panaracer race A Evo 3 - Fast, and tough, but expensive, a bit heavy and fairly short lived.

I'm sure over time there will be a no-brainer go-to tubeless road tire. However I haven't found it, and I don't have the time, money or interest in finding it. I love my Panaracer Race D Evo 3 with light butyl tubes.
When you say “expensive”, where are you getting your Panaracer from? They go for $34 www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&des ... 1&minor=27

Panaracer Race D EVO 3 (all season) is a bulletproof tire. To put this in perspective, Panaracer Race A EVO 3 puncture resistance is on par with Continental GP4season. There’s a valid data to back this up. Now, imagine Race D EVO 3 (all-season), it’s 2x as tough as Race A EVO 3. I think it’s way overbuilt with harsh ride.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Pro one work well for light riders and those that ride in the dry. Simple as that.

The puncture protection of the go 4 seasons is woeful. Never had one of those tyres doire than a 1000miles before failing in some way.

Panracer tyres are just a bit too pricey in the u.k but something I want to compare the IRC formula Pro X guard which is the most reliable tubeless tyre I have tried so far.

Got a pair of Goodyear eagles to gone on next. These are 344g each.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BRR seems to think the Panaracer Race _ EVO 3 tires are all pretty slow as a result of how "built" they are. They tested the clincher version, but my experience with the tubeless version is similar...they ride harshly and mine weighed 330g each.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Just as a datapoint, I got about 600mi (1000000 meters) out of a set of Hutchinson 11storm galatikiconinson Fissions. 1.5months on the bike, and they are down to the casing. They’re thin tires, but seems really low.

ms6073

by ms6073

Curious if anyone has given the Mavic Yksion Pro UST tires a go? Excel Sports product description suggests it is made by/copy of the Hutchinson 11Storm tires.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ms6073 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:55 pm
Curious if anyone has given the Mavic Yksion Pro UST tires a go? Excel Sports product description suggests it is made by/copy of the Hutchinson 11Storm tires.
They are made for Mavic by Hutchinson. Think of them as a middle-ground between the Fusion 5 Galactik and Performance 11Storm. The Zipp Tangente Speed RT and Pirelli Cinturato are also made by Hutchinson.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com