Colnago C64 v V2R?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wilwil

by wilwil

Non disc. How do they compare? Is the attraction with the C64 that its glued together in Italy or is it a nicer ride?

audiojan

by audiojan

Both are amazing bikes, but you the C64 is that "magic carpet ride" that Colnago is so famous for. The V2R is a really nice bike in it's own right, just not the same ride quality as the C64. If you're looking for the a fast bike then V2R is really amazing. If you're looking for a bike that will never beat you up, always stay composed and let you ride for miles and miles, then the C64 is it.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

In case it matters, the V2R is probably faster as it has some aero properties.

derosa2000

by derosa2000

Tested both , very similar great feelings on the road imho . C64 more bling and style of course but if you are racing then V2R is a bit more logical choice . I took V2R but will take C64 too in a few months ;O) . My last previous bikes were Canyon Ultimate CF SLX and Giant TCR Advanced SL so there were what to compare ...

flying

by flying

I have not ridden these two but I have ridden tub & lug carbon vs monocoque carbon

I do not think they compare at all & would heavily suggest you get a test ride of both before deciding which you like

vlastrada

by vlastrada

Very interested in the comparison, especially in terms of climbing and acceleration -
For example, did the v2r feel much snappier than the c64?
Does the v2r feel more “connected” with the road in a good way, or just a bit less compliant? Cheers

hannawald

by hannawald

it can't be that bad with c64, i think uae emirates riders mostly riding c64, arent they?

pasonjayne

by pasonjayne

I own both a Colnago M10S and also a C59 both comparative top line bikes from older years. I am considering buying a new Colnago and weighed up both the C64 and V2R.

I can give you my opinion on the two i have already. C59 is a solid bike, stiff, rides nice, feels very stable on the road and awesome to ride when I am very fit. With the C59 I do notice it is more tail heavy and not so responsive to sprints and bursts. The M10S is a lot snappier and in my opinion climbs and decends better and much more comfortable and agile bike to race. Whilst an older bike I have compared it to the V2R and its not a lot different apart from top of seat tube and some tidier cable routes and direct mount brakes. Would I buy one to race, probably if I didnt have the M10S, reason is because the monocoque frames are not so precious and won't really be classic bikes in years to come. I probably will buy a C64 because i do like the heritage and I'm sure it will be an awesome bike to ride in years to come and enjoy and be precious about.

My thoughts are that if you race and want a work horse then buy the V2R, if you are a weekend warrior and enjoy nice things and a bike you would own for years buy the C64.

UAE emirates mainly ride the monocoque V2r and Concept because they are mass produced and quick to replace when the pros trash them.

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

Would live to hear some more experiences from those who have ridden a c60 or c64 and the v2r.

My heart says C series but my head says that the V2R is better. I just find it hard to see how a lugged construction can rival a monocoque for stiffness, weight, comfort etc as it gives much more sophisticated control via layup

But my heart says C64 as it’s a “real” Colnago.

Anyway know the truth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stitchking

by Stitchking

If you're going to buy a monocoque frame, get a specialized or a trek. If you're getting a colnago, the only one is the c64. The other offerings from colnago just arent special.

I get that people love a brand but money aside i dont really see the point in buying a frame that doesnt have the same wow factor as a c series.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

cunn1n9 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:05 am
Would live to hear some more experiences from those who have ridden a c60 or c64 and the v2r.

My heart says C series but my head says that the V2R is better. I just find it hard to see how a lugged construction can rival a monocoque for stiffness, weight, comfort etc as it gives much more sophisticated control via layup

But my heart says C64 as it’s a “real” Colnago.

Anyway know the truth?
Truth depends on your perspective. The only reason Colnago still sells the C series is because there is demand for something "made in Italy" and still a little bit old school. It borders on being an objet d'art. It's not going to be the fastest Colnago because it's not the most aero but it will have a beautiful paint job and turn heads at your local group ride. It depends on what you want. The pros ride the V2R because it's faster and lighter. I'm sure there is a good number of watts saved on a 250 km stage.

hannawald

by hannawald

C64 is classic but v2r is a headturner as well..
I think Aru had c64 on Giro..

Dansanmartin

by Dansanmartin

I have a C60 disc Mapei and a Factor 02 disc. I enjoy riding both bikes but even the V2R is no match for the weight of the Taiwanese Factor 02. The weight difference with the Factor is noticeable especially on climbs but also when sprinting out of corners. I think both C60 and C64 have special ride qualities however neither can match the lighter Taiwanese frame properties. I think the C64 is essentially a C60 with the rear triangle and post from a V2R. I didn’t really like the change in the bolt through system in the C64 either and thought that the Colnago Hayes system on the C60 was so much more practical for only a marginal weight penalty. Not sold on the square posts either, I can imagine there will come a time when they will revert back to round. Perhaps on the C68

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

Wait until you see the Le Col edition paint job on c64.... Thats truly amazing.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The Le Col.... you mean this...
Uh... take away the god awful crank and rest of the group and you’re left with... kind of some blue ugliness. And that new font... so far I cannot abide. Love the C64 frame however. If I were to be getting a new bike today, there’s no question in my mind the C64 would be it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com