Giant Propel advanced 2 versus Giant TCR advanced carbon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bazcul

by Bazcul

Hi everyone,

A recommendation if possible. Im looking at buying a second hand bike for no more than 1000.00 Euro. Ive been doing a lot of research and found a 2016 Giant Propel advanced 2 and a 2017 Giant TCR advanced carbon in my price range, but am unsure which bike to choose. My normal cycle routes would be between 60km - 200km with climbs, eg . Wicklow 200 etc in Ireland so would be interested in peoples opinions about the comfort and climbing abilities of both bikes, or even a recommendation of a different bike within my price range.
Much appreciated

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

tough decision. I'd say just get the one looking better.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

smartyiak

by smartyiak

I like "normal" brakes, so I'd lean towards the TCR...and, if climbing, would also chose the TCR.

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

Either would be a great choice and as far as value goes you'll be hard pressed to find a better deal than a Giant. I had a 2015 Propel Advanced 2 and recently upgraded to a 2018 TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc. No doubt the Propel was a great bike but over time I wanted something that was a little more "do it all".

The Propel always felt like a race bike (even on coffee rides) - long and low. While on paper the geo between the Propel and the TCR is the same the TCR is more comfortable to me but still certainly feels fast. In regards to climbing, the Propel is no slouch but I've gotta give that category to the TCR (though my TCR has lighter/carbon wheels than my Propel which will certainly help in that department).

While some people didn't like the brakes on the Propel I never found them to be an issue and I've never ridden a rim brake TCR so I can't say much on that end.

If all you want to do is go fast, go Propel. If you want a bike that's a little more geared to those long rides and the climbing I'd propably go TCR. And if you still can't decide, do what @jlok said, get the one you think looks better!

Don't forget to post pics when you get it!
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

Deleted for duplicate post.
2013 Trek 520

Bazcul

by Bazcul

Thank you very much for your responses, I think I'm leaning towards the 2017 advance propel 1.... I think!
But to make things more complicated, I've also been offered a 2014 tcr advanced 0 Di2 in great condition. The specs on this bike are better, but it is an older bike, and I'm not sure about the electronic group set, ultegra di2?
Any thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

No you've really thrown a wrench in the gears! What are you not sure about with the Di2? I recently upgraded and while not a necessity it's fantastic.

I would personally probably go with one of the newer bikes. In 2016 they changed up the design of the TCR so I feel like the 2014/2015's still look dated. As was suggested to me when I posted my first thread here you don't want to have the “what if I had bought the newer bike instead of buying a 2 year old one?” a year or two down the road.
2013 Trek 520