Recon Cassettes any good?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CraigKnobovitch

by CraigKnobovitch

Just want to hear some feedback from anyone who's owned one. Thinking eventually of maybe getting an 11spd steel or titanium one because of the look of them (also price wise on par or a little less than the RED or Dura Ace cassettes. I've heard that there's some durability issues, not sure if that's just for the aluminium one (obvious since it's a softer metal) or a general trend with them. Thanks!

markdjr

by markdjr

Second this, I've been eyeing a black one and would love to hear some feedback as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bling

by Bling

I had a gold Recon cassette. It looked absolutley killer!

Most of the rings were aluminum, and I think the two smallest may have been Ti. The set up included the lightest model of KNC chain, and Sram Red rear dearilleur (tuned). It seemed like I had to constantly adjust the rear derailleur... Every 500km or so, ugh. I never ride in the rain or in harsh conditions that would necessitate frequent service. Once re-adjusted the bike shifted well again. Eventually I was fed up and tried a Red cassette, it worked flawlessly and my adjustment days were over!

I would definately try an all titanium cassette, I think the aluminum wore so quickly that constant adjustment was required.

CraigKnobovitch

by CraigKnobovitch

Bling wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:55 pm
I had a gold Recon cassette. It looked absolutley killer!

Most of the rings were aluminum, and I think the two smallest may have been Ti. The set up included the lightest model of KNC chain, and Sram Red rear dearilleur (tuned). It seemed like I had to constantly adjust the rear derailleur... Every 500km or so, ugh. I never ride in the rain or in harsh conditions that would necessitate frequent service. Once re-adjusted the bike shifted well again. Eventually I was fed up and tried a Red cassette, it worked flawlessly and my adjustment days were over!

I would definately try an all titanium cassette, I think the aluminum wore so quickly that constant adjustment was required.
Exactly my thinking, If I was to get one I'd only go for the steel or titanium. Aluminum isn't the best material to make cassettes out of

RyanH

by RyanH

I think some have had good success with the Omni Racer Ti cassette. I think it's lighter than the Recon at 118g for a 11-25.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

RyanH wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:34 pm
I think some have had good success with the Omni Racer Ti cassette. I think it's lighter than the Recon at 118g for a 11-25.
My Omni Racer fell apart on a ride, sadly. The episode went into the "there are limits to weight weenie-ism" file.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Alloy on anything else but the largest cassette cog is asking for trouble.

If you don't require much mileage out of it then it's an ok idea but then what is the point really.

Better stay with sram red cassettes. Chain skipping is annoying as it takes only one gear to skip to make the cassette basically useless.

/a

campagowlo

by campagowlo

I'm currently using a seqlite alu and its holding up very well. I've used an alu recon in the past and it needed a fair bit of constant adjustment and the teeth wore quickly.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

campagowlo wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:06 pm
I'm currently using a seqlite alu and its holding up very well. I've used an alu recon in the past and it needed a fair bit of constant adjustment and the teeth wore quickly.

Curious to know.. if anyone can say if the al are heat treated?
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

Svetty

by Svetty

Don't know about alu cassettes but I have tried some made from Brie. They were fine until the sun came out ;)

RyanH

by RyanH

Stendhal wrote:
RyanH wrote:
My Omni Racer fell apart on a ride, sadly. The episode went into the "there are limits to weight weenie-ism" file.
That's a bummer, how old was the cassette? What happened when it failed? Did you contact the retailer about it?

desperado95219

by desperado95219

I guess I must have been unbelievably lucky, but I have used exclusively recon alloy cassettes for 10+ years? Never had a problem! I have a gold one on my S5 and a black one on my Orbea. I generally get around 3,000 miles out of them. I always start with a new chain and keep my chain clean and well lubed. I live in California on the edge of the Sierras and do a fair amount of climbing, but very rarely ride in inclement weather. (I also use Fibrelyte carbon chainrings).

PrinceEdward

by PrinceEdward

https://bikerumor.com/2014/08/13/review ... not-right/

Better leave this alone

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 Pixel 發送

Stendhal

by Stendhal

RyanH wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:57 am
Stendhal wrote:
RyanH wrote:
That's a bummer, how old was the cassette? What happened when it failed? Did you contact the retailer about it?
Hi Ryan, thank you for moderting the site.

As I recall it was not brand new, probably <1000 miles used. Did not go back to the retailer because, among other things, I didn't think of doing that. It could have just been a bad sample or even installation error by me (although I did not think so because it was fine at first).
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Used the recon in the past, chipped 4 teeth even with careful/slow riding (zero sprints on it etc) and I dumped it. I think the Sram xg1190 cassette is good enough for most ww unless you want to do an all-out light build that wouldn't get much mileage. The rotor cassette is lighter still but who knows how long the rivets will hold the cassette together. So, the sram is really the best compromise.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com