How to fix this?? [scratch in paint]

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FTPWhor

by FTPWhor

Got a scratch mark on my new C64. How do I fix this?? Thanks!!
Attachments
31718A3B-A2E0-42A3-B529-3DF181DFF597.jpeg

AJS914

by AJS914

If it's a scratch through the paint then you need some touch up paint. I'd do it ever so carefully with the tiniest brush and put the paint just inside the scratch.

If that white mark is on the surface of the paint then you could probably polish it off with some kind of auto paint cleaner.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

For something like that I’d probably just leave well enough alone. I’ve found that trying to touch up something like that never gets it as good as new and generally ends up looking worse than if it had just been left alone. It’s annoying when the frame is brand new for sure, but consider your first scratch now out of the way and move on.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

FTPWhor

by FTPWhor

Thank you!

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

Calnago wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:56 pm
For something like that I’d probably just leave well enough alone. I’ve found that trying to touch up something like that never gets it as good as new and generally ends up looking worse than if it had just been left alone. It’s annoying when the frame is brand new for sure, but consider your first scratch now out of the way and move on.
Agreed. It sucks, and I still feel that way every time a new scratch pops up on my bike, but I think I'd rather that than botch it trying to paint it myself.
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Get some paint and clear coat and a tiny brush (spray is fine, just spray a tiny amount in a small disposable container). First add some color in the bottom of the scratch. Then the same way add some clear coat on top. The challenge is to not put too much. Focus on using just the tip and dab it gently.

Use some autosol/polish paste to get a shine and smooth out the edges.

/a

jih

by jih

Every bike I’ve owned for more than a few years has dozens of small scratches like this. In pack riding sometimes stones get thrown up from the road by other riders’ wheels and hit your frame or components.

I’d say learn not to look for tiny scratches and you’ll be happier.

dvq

by dvq

That frame looks totalled, better throw it away and buy a new one.

r4nd0mv4r14bl3

by r4nd0mv4r14bl3

dvq wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:40 pm
That frame looks totalled, better throw it away and buy a new one.
You missed the opportunity to add that he may want to start from a scratch. (OK, I'll see myself out).

To OP: Looks like blue C64 art decor? This is matte paint, isn't? Probably more difficult to touch up than glossy.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Id personally leave it be... without having the exact paint from Colnago, first you will never get a perfect match and your attention is always going to be drawn to the sore spot... Ive tried to get extra picky when building model airplanes (the primer, sand, putty, sand, airbrush, sand, multiple clear cote deal) and I find that one blemish, and trying to fix it makes matters worse!!

FTPWhor

by FTPWhor

Yes it’s a Blue art decor c64. Finish is neither gloss nor matte. Satin maybe??
Thanks all for the input. I plan to let this scratch be 🤨

DarthKrutall

by DarthKrutall

FWIW I’ve used Meguiars Scratch x 2.0 a number of times on my carbon/gloss frames with great results, your welcome to do your own research though.
While it doesn’t remove scratches entirely, from what I know it blends the current paint and clear coat to cover up what’s unsightly

Marin

by Marin

Get a similar blue touch up paint and carefully fill the bottom of the scratch using a sharp toothpick with a tiny amount of paint. If you don't like the look of the repair, wipe it off before it dries. Can't hurt to try.

cro2

by cro2

I would personally leave it as is. As far as I can see only the base paint is exposed, not the carbon. But if you still want to fix it, use car touch up paint. My LBS suggested me this method - there are plenty of colors to choose from and perhaps matt finishes are also available. It is also chemically neutral for carbon and should resist any kind of chemicals used around the bike or found in road spray (salt, bike cleaning solutions, grease, etc.).

Wysłane z mojego LG-K430 przy użyciu Tapatalka

themidge

by themidge

If you can find the right colour...

But really, just leave it, nobody will notice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com