S-Works Tarmac SL 6 (DISC) OSBB Dimensions for new BB

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ergott

by ergott

Calnago wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:26 am
@Ergott... the whole “OSBB” thing is a clusterf#%¥ of nomenclature. The Crux you are working on has the “old” OSBB with the narrower BB shell (61mm I believe). I worked on one of these some time ago. I used a Praxis BB but also had to use two 3.5mm spacers on either side of the shell to essentially widen it to the standard 68mm shell. All worked out fine. The narrower BB shell was a disaster as Specialized tried to differentiate themselves from Cannondale. A narrow shell with loads grinding away on the outer edges did not play well with longevity. Anyway, they’ve moved from that but I think they still use the “OSBB” term. Currently I don’t think they have any “narrow” OSBB shells in the lineup.
I understand all that, but the published timelines people refer to are wrong. The Crux I'm working on here is the current model.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-wor ... 487-129101

The Tarmacs I've worked on are 2016 SL5. Both are stated as BB30 by BB literature everywhere. That's why I asked if anyone has actually measured the SL6.

The bearing to bearing measurement for the bikes I refer to is 63.5mm, not 61mm. This, just like when I build wheels, is why I measure stuff. So much misinformation online.
Last edited by ergott on Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ergott

by ergott

.... duplicate

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Okay, one hypothesis I need help with. When you are talking about a 68mm shell, where is that measurement to? I installed this crank with the same amount of spacers and BB30, but I'm 100% positive the bearing to bearing measurement is 63.5mm. Is there some other way? I do notice that the shell is a bit wider and the bearings a a little recessed.

Siok

by Siok

Confusing indeed... just built my SWTarmac Disc for DuraAce 9100 Crankset... didn’t want To waste the ceramic bearings so I inserted Enduro Bearings 24mm adaptors for Shimano and so far it’s working wonderfully. Good luck.

mushroom

by mushroom

what bottom bracket would i need for tarmac sl5 s works year2015 if i wiuld want to fit quarq 30bb pf spindle/axel?

mushroom

by mushroom

ome rodriguez wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:55 am
Correct. The current tarmac sl6 has 42x68mm bb shell.

what bearings i can fing on 30 mm axel?

like 5 maybe in whole market i guess.

and also https://www.c-bear.com/en/products/bott ... 30mm-rotor i guess.

joesch

by joesch

Hi. Reviving this thread for this question -
Want to replace the stock Specialized Carbon Cranks on my Tarmac SL6 Disc by Rotor Aldhu with a Power2Max PM (30mm spindle).
Do I need any spares if I want to stick with the standard CS BB or is it a one-to-one exchange?
Thanks!

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

joesch wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:35 am
Hi. Reviving this thread for this question -
Want to replace the stock Specialized Carbon Cranks on my Tarmac SL6 Disc by Rotor Aldhu with a Power2Max PM (30mm spindle).
Do I need any spares if I want to stick with the standard CS BB or is it a one-to-one exchange?
Thanks!
Reviving too. Did you figure this out? I guess the alternative to direct swap is to remove the CS bearings and press a rotor bb30 BB (they have both steel and ceramic) ?