Tubular on clincher wheel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RamirezB

by RamirezB

I recently bought CLINCHER VERSION wheels, but I have always wanted to try tubular (As it is said, aerodynamic, comfortable, resistant to puncture), but I do not want to make conversion. I have found an option that seems to be good, but I need an opinion. They are TUFO tires, they are called TUFO CLINCHER TUBULAR tire. Do you recommend it?

I leave the link:

https://www.tufo.com/en/tubular-clincher/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stitchking

by Stitchking

RamirezB wrote:I recently bought CLINCHER VERSION wheels, but I have always wanted to try tubular (As it is said, aerodynamic, comfortable, resistant to puncture), but I do not want to make conversion. I have found an option that seems to be good, but I need an opinion. They are TUFO tires, they are called TUFO CLINCHER TUBULAR tire. Do you recommend it?

I leave the link:

https://www.tufo.com/en/tubular-clincher/
You are aware that the only advantage of a tubular tyre is that the wheels are lighter and you can ride them when flat as they dont debead?

Theyre actually less aero, higher rolling resistance, and looking at that tyre probably heavy as hell.

If you want to get the feeling of a tubular on a clincher wheel, try the vittoria corsa graphene with a latex tube. Definitely going to feel better than that.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

Good luck with your noodly tires

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Hadn't heard of this before. Nor would i thought someone would go down this avenue. I woildn't because
1. One main advantage of tubulars is light rims, this is lost
2. Good tubulars are often no lighter than a clincher and lightweight tube.
3. Tufo are widely regarded as the worst riding tubulars so the advantage is lost
4. Higher rolling resistance than clincher
5. Installation pain in ass
6. More expensive than clinchers.
7. Rely on sealant if flat
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

borrow someones else bike..
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

He is talking about a weird tire made only by Tufo that I never thought they even still made. It is neither a clincher nor a tubular, but it does possess the worst of both worlds. I tried a set of these years and years ago. They mount on clincher rims, but they are fully encased if that makes sense. Imagine a tubular, completely encasing an inner tube, but with two walls extended on the sides with clincher beads so that it can be mounted on clincher rims. Trouble is, with the two high rigid sidewalls of the clincher rim, you I’ll never experience the handling characteristics that a tubular tire mounted to a rim bed which shares the same radius as the tire, allowing it to “move” much more fluidly side to side than a clincher tire can. So, you don’t get the handling characteristics of a nice tubular, but you do have the inconvenience of not being able to simply patch or replace an innertube on the road like you would if you had a clincher. You could use sealant I suppose, but why... the whole setup is heavy and you will not experience the ride of a good tubular, which seems to be your primary goal in trying this.
No, don’t use this tire if you want to experience a tubular ride. You will get a much nicer ride on your clincher rims with a nice clincher tire. If you want to use tubulars some day, then you need proper tubular rims and glue the tire to the rim bed.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RamirezB

by RamirezB

Thanks, I have decided to follow the advice of a comment. I purchased a Vittoria Corsa G, with a latex tube.

spookyload

by spookyload

And to the people saying the only benefit of a tubular is a lighter rim...please actually ride a tubular first. The benefit is comfort. I have two sets of Campy Bora with G+ tires and latex tubes. Identical setups except one is tubular and one is clincher. The ride difference is night and day. The tubular is far more supple and soaks up road vibration much better. Side by side the difference is very noticable.

Also, as Calnago mentioned, the tubular clincher had none of the ride characteristics you were looking for in a tubular with all the hassles when you get a flat.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

"Friends don't let friends ride Tufo"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com