Cable routing on a small C60

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xcnick

by xcnick

Building up a 48s C60 and it seems far more natural to have the gear outer from the right hand shifter go into the left side of the frame, and vice versa I.e. the cables cross inside the frame. Has anyone done this and if so has the shifting always been fine? To route the cables in the normal way almost kinks the outer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Do it. It’s pretty much the only routing I use these days and have been for some time now, regardless of frame size. Shifting will be better and no cable housing will be rubbing on the headtube.
This was a pretty common solution to small frame setup years ago, then it was pretty much left for dead as downtubes got bigger and the cable stops were too high on the sides of the downtube to allow crossing of cables underneath the downtube. Then, with internal routing and even larger downtube diameters, internal crossing of cables seems like a nobrainer to me. You just have to make sure you don’t get the cables twisted around each other. I would also use some Teflon tubing around the BB area. You can see my C50 Build Thread for details if you like.
Tip: Mock one side up with levers attached, housing inserted on the lever and even taped to the bars with electrical tape. Guide it to the derailleur cable stop in the lug and turn the handlebar all the way to the opposite side till it touch the top tube. Ensure you have just enough housing to allow for this reach, and mark it for cutting. Then remove that piece from the bike, cut it, then cut the other piece of housing exactly the same length. Having them exactly the same length ensures that they will intersect each other precisely centered underneath the stem up front, providing that nicely finished look that makes people think you knew what you were doing.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

xcnick

by xcnick

Thanks for the reply and confirmation! Yeah, good tip, I already do that. What’s more annoying than untidy cables?!