Meld 3D Saddle Review - BUYER BEWARE

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

It just keeps getting more fascinating.

@Meld, do you mind if I use your story and this thread as business case for my marketing students?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

This thread is the bad P.R. gift that keeps on giving. Amazing.

by Weenie

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Whilst it seems only certain bits of the story gets presented from either side, all I can say is I WAS contemplating a Meld saddle.

Not any more. Just too much odd stuff going on !

F45

by F45

meld wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:50 am
You might have a point about separation from customers! But would you mind elaborating on the engineering part?
safety factor

mtnbiker1185

by mtnbiker1185

So I do not have a Meld saddle, but was doing some research on reviews of them which caused me to come across a number of message boards like this one. From what I have observed the only people who seem to come to the defense of Meld are obviously either employees, friends, or otherwise more closely related to the company than a normal customer. I have yet to find a message board where someone responds to one of these complaints by simply stating they did not have a similar experience.
While normally I take customer complaints of a company with a grain of salt (unless there is really a ton of them that all say the same thing), what is turning me off of buying a Meld is how the company handles those complaints. Instead of just responding to them directly, or just ignoring them completely, they seem to try and create fake 'customers' to respond for them. Unfortunately for them, this seems to backfire each and every time due to the 'customer' they have fight for them goes way overboard and starts to provide information that only the company should have. They try to justify it by saying that they talked to the company about the issue, but no one ever falls for that excuse. Once it is obvious that no one is falling for the 'just another customer bit' Meld shows up and reacts in a way that confirms a lot of what the original customer complained about.
What gets me the most about this is that if I were to call Specialized and tell them I wanted to go to bat for them on the WW message board because someone was complaining about one of their bikes and to provide me with emails and other details on the complaint, they would tell me to f off. The fact they are willing to funnel retorts to customer complaints through a supposedly third-party customer says more about this company than anything else in my opinion. That a company is willing to let some random customer fight their customer relations battles for them to the point of providing them with details of an open customer service case that doesn't involve them is mindblowing. You shouldn't need a business degree to see how that is just a terrible idea.

mtnbiker1185

by mtnbiker1185

C36 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:54 am
Are we being serious here? I appreciate the feeling of “community” but aren’t we overreacting here on sharing a picture? We are debating on a failure (regardless the cause) and that’s not the first time we have pictures shared. We can debate if it has been done “properly” but at the end Meld would have shared the picture and nobody would have shout and jump around.

Can’t we focus on how Meld manages this problem and don’t turn this into a “trip advisor bitching session”?

I do have brands who eventually shared client feedback contents with me (no private details) and I don’t see the problem, either to facilitate explanations or for technical feedback.
While I agree that the sharing of a picture isn't really a big deal, I would argue that how the picture was shared directly correlates to how Meld manages the problem. They chose to let a (supposed) random message board warrior fight their customer complaints for them instead of doing it themselves.

Meld didn't use the pictures sent in as a method of showing what impact damage looks like, they gave it to a random person who contacted them based on a complaint they found on a message board. I am sure if you were to go to those brands you mention and tell them that joeschmoe posted a complaint about their product on the WW message board and to send you the information on joeschmoe's complaint/case so you can wage keyboard battle on their behalf, they would tell you no.....that is if they would even bother responding. Either way, there is a big difference between sharing certain details of customer feedback to help educate future customers and sharing details of an open customer complaint with someone so they could argue on your behalf online.

monkeyburger

by monkeyburger

That was fabulous :popcorn:
...finding my inner Onoda-kun...

jih

by jih

antonioiglesius wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:52 am
Meld has seen pothole/crash impact damage before, so the abnormalies pointed to by the red arrows look familiar.
Can you or meld explain what pothole damage means with respect to a saddle, and why that would look familiar?

Surely you don’t mean that their saddles are damaged and crack by hitting potholes while cycling?

C36

by C36

First a disclaimer since this post has a lot of suspicion on who intervene: i am not even remotely connected to Meld, the closer i have been for California was Houston and except having one of their saddles on one of my bikes... that’s it.

My experience has been significantly different than the one listed here. We exchanged around 15 emails before, during and after the purchase and I don’t recall problems or delays; furthermore some of my emails were quite long and demanding since my engineering background was very curious.
During the process I recall some delays in shipping the foam bloc but since I asked, I had been warned and offered to pay for a faster delivery method, that ultimately I select not to choose since I wasn’t on a rush.
Maybe one of the differences with others is that I asked a lot of questions when I had doubts, questions that answered some of the problems people reported here.

Now on the saddle itself my honest feedback is that
- yes it did solve the seatbones pain I (for whatever reason) started having on the new Specialized Toupe saddles (never had pain before).
- I took me quite some time to find a ok fitting, and it’s not yet perfect (working with Meld and my fitter on several changes so still difficult to assess the saddle Impact). The design made me sit further back than on other saddles as you can see here Image
And I found the confort sensitive to small changes (that may make sense since it is designed for you and not to fit a wide range of people).
- meld is being responsive to the saddle position change we may have to do to remove the last small things that would make the saddle better.

Regarding the post above on “don’t tell me it broke on a pothole” 2 things:
- I would see perfectly understandable that carbon rails broke under certains circonstances. Come-on we talk road bikes and the forum is full of pieces that we broke over the years (we have people damaging just installing pieces so over stressed rails hitting a pothole have all the reasons to break). Not judging what happened above just saying we should remain a bit more neutral...
- one saddle not being representative but I recently took a gigantic pothole, probably the biggest ones I ever took, almost felt and felt pain for 2 days and nothing got damaged (removed the saddle to inspect it and the Darimo seat post) now the rails were not under normal stress since I only applied 4Nm on the seat clamp.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

jih

by jih

C36 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:16 pm
Regarding the post above on “don’t tell me it broke on a pothole” 2 things:
- I would see perfectly understandable that carbon rails broke under certains circonstances. Come-on we talk road bikes and the forum is full of pieces that we broke over the years (we have people damaging just installing pieces so over stressed rails hitting a pothole have all the reasons to break). Not judging what happened above just saying we should remain a bit more neutral...
- one saddle not being representative but I recently took a gigantic pothole, probably the biggest ones I ever took, almost felt and felt pain for 2 days and nothing got damaged (removed the saddle to inspect it and the Darimo seat post) now the rails were not under normal stress since I only applied 4Nm on the seat clamp.
I've never heard of or seen a saddle being destroyed by a bump in the road personally. I ride the S-Works range all the time, which are roughly the weight of the saddles that we're talking about here. No problems with bumps in the road, even one that was hard enough to rotate my bars down (bars correctly torqued and with carbon paste)

Maybe the OP is 100kg or something :noidea:

JerryLook

by JerryLook

I’ve been riding an 86 gram Chinese saddle that cost 16$ for the last 2k miles without any issues. The other day I ran over a racoon, and hit it so hard both my feet unclipped, and it twisted the seatpost to the side (but I didn’t crash). No saddle damage.
Oh and I’m overweight for the saddle. 85kg on small round rails.

Just sayin

It also seems like these Meld saddles are meant for people who ride more upright, and not in a lower, more aggressive position. I tend to sit more on the nose of the saddle when I’m riding in the drops and trying to be more aero.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
6.05kg

glepore

by glepore

JerryLook wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:55 pm
I’ve been riding an 86 gram Chinese saddle that cost 16$ for the last 2k miles without any issues. The other day I ran over a racoon, and hit it so hard both my feet unclipped, and it twisted the seatpost to the side (but I didn’t crash). No saddle damage.
Ditto. I'm riding a "Pro Stealth" shaped carbon saddle- $25, comfy, bonded myself to a carbon post/cradle. Total weight of 185 g. Yeah, carbon saddles can break, but they shouldn't at that pricepoint.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

JerryLook wrote:
It also seems like these Meld saddles are meant for people who ride more upright, and not in a lower, more aggressive position. I tend to sit more on the nose of the saddle when I’m riding in the drops and trying to be more aero.
Where does it state that these saddles are for upright users in Meld's marketing/communications?

JerryLook

by JerryLook

Matt28NJ wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:56 pm
JerryLook wrote:
Where does it state that these saddles are for upright users in Meld's marketing/communications?
I was referring to a post earlier in the thread where Meld mentioned they could tell the user of the saddle had been sitting on his perineum. I assume the only way to do that is to sit on the nose of the saddle.

Maybe with a really bad fit a person might sit upright on the nose of the saddle, but from my personal experience, usually it’s only done when sitting in a more aggressive position.

I could see where sitting on the nose of a saddle would put more stress on it, but I haven’t broken one yet doing it.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
6.05kg

by Weenie