pain under under right foot 3hrs into ride

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

I recently switched to Shimano RC7 Wide shoes because I thought my Fizik R3B shoes was a little tight.

Using the same cleat and pedals, same bike and even did a bike fit (increased saddle height, reduce stem length, setup cleat). He did just set it into 'neutral' position, he said my Look grey cleats has 4deg float so I don't need to set the cleat angled.

The problem was I did a SFO ride (5hrs+) and I could feel pain under my right foot only, bit like a peddle/stone was under my foot, area of pain, around 3rd toe, in line with axis of pedal, basically where the outer most screw of my road cleat.
I never had this problem on my fizik shoes (cleat setup myself) but the shoes was tight during longer distance rides.

I even found a photo of it.

Suggestions?
Attachments
foot pain.jpg
foot pain.jpg (11.12 KiB) Viewed 1197 times

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

Hard to say. If you have an indoor trainer, hook the bike up and mark where the cleat is, then make small adjustments - maybe a little toe out on that side and a little further back. How much did the fitter raise your saddle by? You may want to drop it a couple of mm and see if that helps. What may be "biomechanically correct" may not be comfortable for you. Also the change in shoes is an alarm bell. If the RC7 wide is a little too wide, your foot won't be stable in the shoe and this could also cause pain. Shoes should be snug without causing pressure or pain. You've gone from a narrow shoe to quite a wide shoe so that may be an issue if the fit isn't correct.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

if the shoe itself fits, on a long ride it's the footbeds that make the most difference for me

are you using the same footbeds?

zefs

by zefs

Try to tighten the velcro strap more to see if it's a "too wide" shoe issue like mentioned. Do you feel your foot moving inside the shoe?
Move the cleat back a bit.
Give your feet time to adjust to the new shoes.
If your feet toe out you need to use the same angle for the cleats, so not sure why he mentioned you don't have to do that because of float.

http://bikedynamics.co.uk/footpain.htm
http://bikedynamics.co.uk/fit01.htm

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Switch cleats to 9 degree.

LouisN

by LouisN

Check with screw lenghts.
With My Bont A1's I had to cut the screws on my Looks.

Louis :)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I had this issue on one pair of shoes when I put the cleat too far back (closer to midfoot)

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Same here, I once tried to move the cleats back 5mm from the centered-on-the-ball position and I instantly got pain. This was on Shimano R321 shoes.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Yeah, personally I didn't even move my cleats 5mm back...maybe 2mm. Custom footbeds help as well.

Boshk

by Boshk

Sammutd88 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:04 am
Hard to say. If you have an indoor trainer, hook the bike up and mark where the cleat is, then make small adjustments - maybe a little toe out on that side and a little further back. How much did the fitter raise your saddle by? You may want to drop it a couple of mm and see if that helps. What may be "biomechanically correct" may not be comfortable for you. Also the change in shoes is an alarm bell. If the RC7 wide is a little too wide, your foot won't be stable in the shoe and this could also cause pain. Shoes should be snug without causing pressure or pain. You've gone from a narrow shoe to quite a wide shoe so that may be an issue if the fit isn't correct.
Thanks guys, I'll try all the above.
Saddle raise by 15mm.
Yea, there is a major difference in the way the shoes feel. Maybe my feet are moving around too much. The Fizik was comfortable snug at first but during a 100km ride, I had to take them off because they were going numb....so I figured it was too tight, not enough blood circulation.
Now with the Shimano, its not snug, bit like a pair of trainers....really comfortable but then comes the under the foot pain.

no idea

Shoes are a bit like saddles......annoying trying to find the right fit/pair

quadlt250

by quadlt250

You could try isolating it further with a long trainer ride and not wearing socks. Might help you feel the issue out more and give you a better idea of what is causing the pain.

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Also consider the possibility a nerve could be involved. This could mean the issue may be at the foot, but also may be at the saddle, or at the knee...

My advice is to ask a doctor what's causing your pain.
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Offtopic now, but with tight shoes you might be suprised at the difference a super thin cycling sock does compared to whatever-you-grab-first from the laundry pile. Also take it easy on the straps. A good feeling compromise in house before the ride might not be good. What I do is to fully loosen them once I'm clipped and while I do the warmup I tighten them little by little until there is no more heel slip, slopines or whatever. An extra bit more and feet go numb.

zefs

by zefs

Find the ball of the foot while wearing the shoe (1st and 5th metatarshal) and mark them. The cleat center should be on the middle of these 2 points to start with, or a few mm on the back. Then if your feet toe in or out you apply the same angle. Have you tried that to see if it works?
Maybe you can do it on your next long ride when the pain starts, if the pain goes away after adjustment it was probably the cleat position.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

Pain means there’s increased pressure in that area. Try angling the cleat so the spindle is rotated away from that point.

Your fitter was wrong because you still need to pay attention to clean again because despite float there is a neutral engagement position which the foot will rest in for the pedal stroke as well