Better solutions to junction boxes for Di2/EPS...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Starter

by Starter

So I know it’s 2018, and di2 has only been out for a few weeks, so all this “electric shifting” business is all really new and strange, and nobody has quite figured out how to implement it yet, but do you think at some point in the future, a more elegant solution of mounting the junction box will become available? Not that using a f##king rubber band to mount the control unit of my $3000 groupset to my $4000 frame isn’t appealing.

Seriously... Here we are a decade after the fact, and there are basically no options for stems with a crevice to hold the tiny junction box? Other than the hideous 3T thing that doesn’t even work properly? So the only option is either buying a di2 box integrated frameset, or a goddamn $120 bar plug box and a $200-$500 internally-wired bar (Not to mention with that solution, if you run hydro, the installation alone will run you $200 in labor)?

How the f##k does PRO have the balls not to offer a stem with a junction box crevice?

Hey asshole component manufactures... Produce multiple options for stems with a junction box hollow on the underside. We should be seeing stuff from all the major makers at this point. Just make it happen, already. Chop chop.
Oof.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Starter

by Starter

Since auto-correct doesn’t let you type “ok” in lower caps, you actually had to type “Ook” then go back and erase the capital “O”, in order to make your reply appear as snarkily uninvested as possible. That may be the best microcosm of this forum ever.
Oof.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Sweet story bro, needs more dragons.

Did you ever think he may have replied from a computer with no auto correct?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Visus

by Visus

Stay calm and get an etap

sychen

by sychen

ok

Typed without deleting!

Choose lower case from my phone keyboard! 2018! Or turn it off?

As to your actual post... Wtf?
Please see shimano di2 9100 series Junction boxes tucked into bar ends and frames..not sure which year you think it is but shhhhh Trump is the actual President of United States of America.
Oh also etap!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

Starter wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:11 am
Since auto-correct doesn’t let you type “ok” in lower caps, you actually had to type “Ook” then go back and erase the capital “O”, in order to make your reply appear as snarkily uninvested as possible. That may be the best microcosm of this forum ever.
A great futurist such as yourself may find this hard to believe, but devices with real keyboards still exist, and are generally used without autocorrect.

Also, you're doing autocorrect wrong. Your post does provide an amusing insight into the needlessly convoluted method you probably used to create your sig line, though. :wink:

themidge

by themidge

Some Bontrager stems have 'mouths' that leave a small gap into the stem at the top and bottom of the handlebar. If you wanted, you could hide the junction box inside the stem and put the wires through the holes.
Here it is done with Campagnolo EPS: https://www.lfgss.com/comments/14153288/

Starter

by Starter

@themidge- I’ll check out the Bontrager stem, thanks

@everyone else- I like to check in every couple of years to see if the forum has remained conquered by the trolls... I imagine I’m one of the few of the old guard that bothers to anymore. Of course more stem options that hid the junction box would be cool, and a nice workaround to spending a grip. And of course you trolls will deny it just to be trollish. Because, you know, you suuuuuck. See you Starbucks posing clowns in another couple of years. Toodles.
Oof.

KCookie

by KCookie

Surely if you can afford a $3000 groupset and a$4000 frame you can afford a $120 bar end junction box. Looks neat to. I had holes drilled in my bars, so no extra money was spent on internally routed bars. Problem solved. 😀
But yes I agree you would think there would be other options out there by now.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

I'm gonna have to agree with Starter. With all of the "development" of "necessary" equipment to save .0001gram or .0002g at 70deg yaw...you'd think Pro, Deda, or 3T would have come up with something so practical and useful. Then again, if you can't make a slight change AND charge $500 more, why bother???

survivor

by survivor

Vision Metron integrated stem/bar has a crevice to hold thejunction box, but I am not sure that helps on price point perspective.

wingguy

by wingguy

The obvious issue from a designers point of view is that hollowing out a crevice in a stem is going to be terrible for STW vs a conventional stem (probably why you only see it done on integrated systems where expanding the junction between bar and stem helps compensate for it). I don't know why anyone would be surprised that stem companies aren't making products that look slightly cleaner at the expense of being rubbish at doing the primary job that a stem has to do.

Of course it's be a lot easier to put a junction inside a stem, but you then run into the twin problems of charging, and still needing a handlebar with compatible cable routing. In which case the barend junction box is clearly a better and more versatile solution, which is why Shimano/Pro did it that way.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

Starter wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:16 am
So I know it’s 2018, and di2 has only been out for a few weeks, so all this “electric shifting” business is all really new and strange, and nobody has quite figured out how to implement it yet, but do you think at some point in the future, a more elegant solution of mounting the junction box will become available? Not that using a f##king rubber band to mount the control unit of my $3000 groupset to my $4000 frame isn’t appealing.

Seriously... Here we are a decade after the fact, and there are basically no options for stems with a crevice to hold the tiny junction box? Other than the hideous 3T thing that doesn’t even work properly? So the only option is either buying a di2 box integrated frameset, or a goddamn $120 bar plug box and a $200-$500 internally-wired bar (Not to mention with that solution, if you run hydro, the installation alone will run you $200 in labor)?

How the f##k does PRO have the balls not to offer a stem with a junction box crevice?

Hey asshole component manufactures... Produce multiple options for stems with a junction box hollow on the underside. We should be seeing stuff from all the major makers at this point. Just make it happen, already. Chop chop.
There's a guy who makes a widget that fits between the stem and/or spacer for about $10 that holds the junction.
Last edited by tabl10s on Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Starter wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:36 pm
@themidge- I’ll check out the Bontrager stem, thanks

@everyone else- I like to check in every couple of years to see if the forum has remained conquered by the trolls... I imagine I’m one of the few of the old guard that bothers to anymore. Of course more stem options that hid the junction box would be cool, and a nice workaround to spending a grip. And of course you trolls will deny it just to be trollish. Because, you know, you suuuuuck. See you Starbucks posing clowns in another couple of years. Toodles.
He'll be back within a day :) Id like to agree with him, but Im gonna guess that by the time EPS 12 and new Di2 come out, there won't even be an option for an external junction...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com