Better solutions to junction boxes for Di2/EPS...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tabl10s

by tabl10s

Starter wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:36 pm
@themidge- I’ll check out the Bontrager stem, thanks

@everyone else- I like to check in every couple of years to see if the forum has remained conquered by the trolls... I imagine I’m one of the few of the old guard that bothers to anymore. Of course more stem options that hid the junction box would be cool, and a nice workaround to spending a grip. And of course you trolls will deny it just to be trollish. Because, you know, you suuuuuck. See you Starbucks posing clowns in another couple of years. Toodles.
Is the "Oof" the sound you make after you get kicked in the ass?
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Everyone simmer down - the topic raised is a valid one - let's stay on topic and avoid the personal bits. Thanks.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Digger90

by Digger90

Er, I'm kind of with the OP.... ok, junction boxes are hidden today, but there are still exposed wires/cables (assuming you don't have one of the latest 'everything-runs-internally' frames).

That's why I went eTap.

It's 2018 after all... not 1999.

C'mon Campag and Shimano - we don't plug our computers into dial-up modems anymore.... why should we plug derailleurs and shifters into junction boxes and stuff???

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Why should we plug in derailleurs and shifters, or associated batteries... at all, ever. Still haven’t come across an electric group that outperforms my existing setups, period. TT bikes excepted.
Ok, I know... I’ll show myself out.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RyanH

by RyanH

If you're clever, you can hide the junction out of sight either under the BB or saddle and only see one wire running from the bars.
Digger90 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:05 pm
C'mon Campag and Shimano - we don't plug our computers into dial-up modems anymore.... why should we plug derailleurs and shifters into junction boxes and stuff???
Not a dig at you necessarily, but I feel like this must be an iPhone generation thing. Working in IT, wires reign supreme. I can get 1 gigabit throughput with 0.2ms response times over LAN vs 20-50ms response times over Wifi and maaaaybbe 250+ mbps if I'm lucky. Let's not even get into mobile data. Anyway, coming back to cycling, I think response times are a limiting factor for eTap, which is why their shifting is perceived as slower than Campag and Di2. Also, you lose wires with eTap but it's still heavier than 9150... :noidea:

sennder

by sennder

RyanH wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:23 pm
I can get 1 gigabit throughput with 0.2ms response times over LAN vs 20-50ms response times over Wifi and maaaaybbe 250+ mbps if I'm lucky.
By response time, I'm assuming you mean latency. If your wifi network has a latency that high, you have a seriously poor wifi network. Most properly setup wifi networks will have a latency of 2-3ms, even on a 2.4GHz channel. Wired is still supreme though, in both latency and throughput.

I suppose the slightly slower shifting of eTap is a tradeoff for a much easier setup.

--Sennder

Digger90

by Digger90

RyanH wrote:
Digger90 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:05 pm
Not a dig at you necessarily, but I feel like this must be an iPhone generation thing. Working in IT, wires reign supreme.

Ha! That makes me feel young.... wish I was part of the iPhone generation but I'm 53 years old! :D

I've also worked 32yrs in IT... and yes, wires are great for Data Centres and such like, but we're not all sending mega-gobbles of data to our derailleurs every nanosecond and on bikes they're ugly and unnecessary.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

sennder wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:40 pm
RyanH wrote:
I can get 1 gigabit throughput with 0.2ms response times over LAN vs 20-50ms response times over Wifi and maaaaybbe 250+ mbps if I'm lucky.
By response time, I'm assuming you mean latency. If your wifi network has a latency that high, you have a seriously poor wifi network. Most properly setup wifi networks will have a latency of 2-3ms, even on a 2.4GHz channel. Wired is still supreme though, in both latency and throughput.

I suppose the slightly slower shifting of eTap is a tradeoff for a much easier setup.

--Sennder
eTap is prettier too. On a recent YouTube upload about the Rotor Hydro group, it was said that it could also be made electronic which be a game changer in terms of weight and operation.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

AJS914

by AJS914

Powerful Pete wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:41 pm
Everyone simmer down - the topic raised is a valid one - let's stay on topic and avoid the personal bits. Thanks.
A better topic title might help elicit better responses and help someone find the info in the future.

Fair enough - I have changed the post title to better reflect the topic. Let us now all stay on topic, thanks. PP

kode54

by kode54

A third party manufacturer should make a stem that incorporates the Di2 junction A...for example, a company like Enve could make a special electronic stem that houses the bar end in the stem. pass the wires into the stem and screw it down from the bottom. I'd buy one or two. I think the main obstacle to integration is the different versions of the electronic systems. A small market split between Shimano, SRAM and Campy.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Sock3t

by Sock3t

kode54 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:51 pm
A third party manufacturer should make a stem that incorporates the Di2 junction A...for example, a company like Enve could make a special electronic stem that houses the bar end in the stem. pass the wires into the stem and screw it down from the bottom. I'd buy one or two. I think the main obstacle to integration is the different versions of the electronic systems. A small market split between Shimano, SRAM and Campy.
If only there was a solution that kept all of the Di2 stuff internal. Like...maybe a bar end junction and a bar that allows all internal routing?

Imagine that.

gurk700

by gurk700

If it matters that much (which it can and I understand it) either buy a fully integrated no visible bike like BMC or go Etap. Or do both.
If you're local, I'll install your bar end junction box, hydro brake cables and di2 stuff for free. Just bring me lunch. We can chat about bikes... and stuff...

nycebo

by nycebo

Wilier Alabarda has gap/space to hid the junction. And a clever to way to internally route cables at that.

As for wired systems, I'm for them, particularly since Di2 with the seatpost battery lasts months to eTaps weeks. And once it's wired, it's set it and forget it.

Oracle7775

by Oracle7775

The Ridley Noah Disc Aero incorporates everything inside the frame and bars, too, using the Di2 bar end junction. It almost looks TOO naked. https://www.ridley-bikes.com/product/no ... -disc-aero.

I think there's a frame out there that has a slot right in the top tube fore the bar-end junction, too. Cannondale, maybe?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nycebo

by nycebo

Pinarello has that also. Point is, Shimano has adapted with its latest bar-end/down-tube junction.