Press Fit 30 to BB86 Conversion

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lord_brush

by lord_brush

As per title, can anyone advise on decent Press Fit 30 to BB86 conversion BB?

(Going into a Ridley Helium SLX)
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears. (Chris Addison)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

lord_brush

by lord_brush

Thanks, hadn't thought of the Token offering. How would this compare with the Rotor conversions? I can get hte Rotor at more or less the same price. Is there much differnce in weight, durability etc?
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears. (Chris Addison)

nemeseri

by nemeseri

lord_brush wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:28 pm
As per title, can anyone advise on decent Press Fit 30 to BB86 conversion BB?

(Going into a Ridley Helium SLX)
Can you be a little bit more clear on which one is the BB type and which one is the crankset? Is it a PF30 bike and a shimano crankset? In that case there are many great options out there. Consult with the BB manufacurer regarding the recommended compound between the BB shell and BB for the best result (i.e. aqua proof paste or loctite).

x) Wheelsmfg - from steel to ceramic bearings, plenty of good BBs: https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/p ... e_dia=7121
x) Kogel: https://www.kogel.cc/collections/press- ... o-cranks-1
x) C-Bear: https://www.c-bear.com/en/products/bott ... face-rotor

lord_brush

by lord_brush

The frame is PF30, and the crankset is a Verve Infocrank.

I think Rotor do a specific option for the Infocrank, but at the same time, I believe it will work in BB86 with an additional shim? Thats how it is in its current frameset.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I use Token now instead of Rotor. I think the fitting they've come up with is very good. It's really your call what bearings you wish to use.
I would suggest you read through the info at the Token link and you'll see why this is a good idea.
I thought of Hambini to, but this was a good choice.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

So based on the infocrank website there are two versions:
x) One with standard 24mm spindle and it's compatible with any shimano BBs (like BSA, BB86, BB90) without any shim or spacers. If you have this version, you can use the BBs I linked previously. (OR any PF30 BBs with proper shims)
x) The other one seems to be a propriatory Praxis M30 standard. Praxis offers BBs for PF30 frames: https://praxiscycles.com/product/m30-conv-bb30-pf30/

So check your crank to see if it's the 30 or 24mm spindle one and buy the BB accordingly.

I doubt that you have shims in your BB86 frame, given the BB86 standard only accepts a 24mm spindle. (The only way that you have shims currently is to have a BB86 shell, with rotor 4130 bearings reduced to 24mm with shims to accomodate the infocrank. But this is such a stupid setup I don't believe this is the case.)

lord_brush

by lord_brush

Sorry, when I mentioned shim I didn't actually mean a shim as such- it's a small washer that went on the non drive side to take up a tiny bit of lateral play.

I'm 99.9% certain my Infocrank is 24mm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scale29

by scale29

Hope also offer a solution for PF30 to 24mm. I fitted one to my wifes Focus Izalco Max.