wider tires 23 to 32

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eforce123

by eforce123

I am still new to this sport as some may know. It appears manufacturers are pushing for wider tires and less air pressure. I have seen some reviews claiming this is faster or less rolling resistance, but I am not sure I believe the hype. I ride my 23 wide at 120psi front and 125psi rear. I have ridden 28 wide and it definitely felt smoother than my bikes but it did not seem at all faster. it felt slower and heavy imo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AZR3

by AZR3

If you want a nicer ride you’ve got to drop the psi down, 125 is like a rock! How much do you weigh? I’m 165 and on wide wheels (25.5 external width)my 23s measure over 25mm at 80psi. I use to run 100psi on narrower wheels and it’s much nicer and not slower with the wider wheels at the lower psi.

froze

by froze

I got these weird tire sizes from Specialized called the Roubaix Pro during their buy one get one for 1/2 off deal, anyway I got two different sizes, for the rear I got 25/28 and the front I got 23/25. The two size thing is means that the tread is a 23c but the casing is a 25c, the wider casing (and the 120 TPI) gives the tire the comfort of a 25; not sure if I agree with that because the 23c is wider than my other 23 tires and the same is true with the 25/28, the 25 is wider than my other 25 tires; so I'm not sure how that size thing works. What I do know and can say is that I've have ridden these tires for 2 years now and the more more a I ride them the more I like them, these are turning out to be darn close if not the best tire I've ever been on that aren't racing tires, but long term use is still not available to comment on yet (I have other bikes I ride so these tires might have 1,200 miles on them). They are not only very comfortable but they roll very well, they do so well in both of those categories you don't even think your riding on a "heavier" than normal tire made for endurance riding! Not sure about handling since I don't ride down winding mountain roads like I use to but they seem to handle well, I did ride them in the rain and noticed nothing negative in that environment either. Not sure about the cut or puncture resistance yet either since I don't have any cuts or punctures yet after 1,200 miles, so again more time is needed, but I did run over a bunch of tiny shards of glass that littered the street I was on and nothing happened. These tires so impressed me that when they went on sale again this last spring I bought another pair which I rarely do since I get whatever is tire has the biggest discount to cost ratio.

AJS914

by AJS914

If you road you ride on is as smooth as a velodrome then your 125psi tires will be the fastest. Out in the real world of rough pavement and chipsealed roads rob your power at high pressures. You have to find the right balance.

I used to run 90-100psi on 25mm tires on very good roads. We just moved to a place with horrible roads - lots of rough chipseal. I'm running my tires at 80psi now and may try to see if the next size up will fit my frame and then run those at 70psi.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

eforce123 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:26 am
I have seen some reviews claiming this is faster or less rolling resistance, but I am not sure I believe the hype. I ride my 23 wide at 120psi front and 125psi rear.
Enjoy your massively overinflated tires right up to the point where they blow off during a descent and you lose all your teeth.

AJS914

by AJS914

This is a good read on why too much pressure slows you down:

https://silca.cc/blogs/journal/part-4b- ... -impedance

emotive

by emotive

eforce123 wrote:
I have ridden 28 wide and it definitely felt smoother than my bikes but it did not seem at all faster. it felt slower and heavy imo
That's what the test rider in this test felt too, he was sure the higher pressure was faster: http://www.velonews.com/2018/06/from-th ... vel_468329

This test was for 35mm tyres, on gravel, and finding which pressure was fastest. The test rider was sure the higher pressure was way faster, but the lower pressure was smoother and faster. On the road the bumps are smaller, as are the tyres, but it's the same concept.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Rolling resistance is lower at the same pressure.

Aerodynamic drag is higher with wider tires.

If you are a heavy gentleman then the RR benefit of going a bit wider will outweigh the aero losses. If you are lightweight then you might need to stay on narrow tires, at least in the front.

If comfort is your game, or your road quality is poor, then reduce pressure. By not bumping around you can put the power down and save time there. In order to reduce and avoid snake bites it's good to be a bit wider.

Fast tires are often wider than they advertise. Like conti gp4k is 25(23c) 27(25c) and 31(28c). So don't focus on the number written, you have to measure them on your rims.

I ride 23c and I have fairly wide rim inner width. Any 23c becomes 25-26mm wide which is good for my weight and the road smoothness.

/a

eforce123

by eforce123

GothicCastle wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:58 am
eforce123 wrote:
I have seen some reviews claiming this is faster or less rolling resistance, but I am not sure I believe the hype. I ride my 23 wide at 120psi front and 125psi rear.
Enjoy your massively overinflated tires right up to the point where they blow off during a descent and you lose all your teeth.
Both are at max according to the tire specs on the side. It is not over inflated!

eforce123

by eforce123

AJS914 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:07 am
This is a good read on why too much pressure slows you down:

https://silca.cc/blogs/journal/part-4b- ... -impedance
thank you! Good info

eforce123

by eforce123

emotive wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:00 pm
eforce123 wrote:
I have ridden 28 wide and it definitely felt smoother than my bikes but it did not seem at all faster. it felt slower and heavy imo
That's what the test rider in this test felt too, he was sure the higher pressure was faster: http://www.velonews.com/2018/06/from-th ... vel_468329

This test was for 35mm tyres, on gravel, and finding which pressure was fastest. The test rider was sure the higher pressure was way faster, but the lower pressure was smoother and faster. On the road the bumps are smaller, as are the tyres, but it's the same concept.
a great read for sure. I appreciate it. Now to figure out what size tire to go with and what pressure for my weight 76kg 167.5lbs

eforce123

by eforce123

I ride on the street of socal so it is definitely not smooth. I ride the bike trail into Newport PCH and it is better than the roads but not smooth like some newly paved blacktops are. Only been on a few for about 50 yards

Beaver

by Beaver

You should also consider running rims with a larger inner diameter. The wider, the taller the tire flangs stand and you can reduce tire pressure without higher rolling resistance. The volume of the tire increases and so does the width. A 25mm tire on a 21mm inner width rim will be at least 28mm wide and you can run the same pressure as on an 28mm tire - without the additional weight.

eforce123

by eforce123

what tire width should I do with then? my wheels are the 2009/10 Ritchey superlogic carbon clinchers 46mm.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/r ... pro-review

Marin

by Marin

With wide rims and steep sidewalls, the ride will suffer. Only go for rims as wide as your tires if you value aerodynamics above everything.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com