oh boy... please accept my appologies in advance PF30 BB shell with Campy Ultra-Torque

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Catagory6

by Catagory6

firstly, switching crank set brands isn't an option at this point. i have to go with UT
i've been reading and reading, and watching and reading.

i've gathered that i am to use a Loc-Tite 609, with corresponding prep on both the BB, and the shell.
what i'm not quite sure of, is if this preperation is reversible.

secondly, i understand that the Campagnolo-branded adapter is not the best solution... unless there's been some break-thru's that i am not aware of, because this is the least expensive option.

so the adapter i've been looking at is the Parlee, at 2-times the price of the Campy adapter ... $30 vs $60

now i've also seen PF30 > English adapters, in both metal, and plastic. however, i have to route a disc-brake cable line through the BB-shell. so i'm not sure this option will work for me.

once again, please forgive this horse raised from the dead and beaten once again. you've all been such a great help to me so far.

PS: this is in a carbon BB shell. specifically a Focus Mares CX 2017

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morrisond

by morrisond

The new Campy adapters should be fine - they have longer flanges so better supported. I think Enduro makes one that should work as well.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Use the Campy cups. I prefer them over any of the other solutions. I have never had a problem with them, or any other pressfit solution, providing they are installed properly.
Just make sure you get the ones with part number IC15-RE46. As @Morrsion above said, the earlier ones had some issues. I think you can identify those with the beginning of the part number as IC14-... and they had a shorter flange as well as an O-ring (what the o-ring was for in a pressfit application I have no idea). A good press is also essential.

What frame is it going into? Is it new or used?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

Catagory6 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:16 am
so the adapter i've been looking at is the Parlee, at 2-times the price of the Campy adapter ... $30 vs $60
I can’t speak to the Campy adapter, but I use the Parlee PF30 cups on one frame and have had zero issues after more than 10k miles. They seem deeper than others and haven’t developed any issues. The Enduro bearings in them have held up well. I’m just now thinking about replacing them simply because they have so many miles.
Last edited by GothicCastle on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

Calnago wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:28 am
Use the Campy cups. I prefer them over any of the other solutions. I have never had a problem with them, or any other pressfit solution, providing they are installed properly.
Just make sure you get the ones with part number IC15-RE46. As @Morrsion above said, the earlier ones had some issues. I think you can identify those with the beginning of the part number as IC14-... and they had a shorter flange as well as an O-ring (what the o-ring was for in a pressfit application I have no idea). A good press is also essential.

What frame is it going into? Is it new or used?
thanks for the info

its a new 2017 focus mares cx

is this a permanent installation if i use the Loc-tite 609 with the prep?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It’s not permanent. A good whack with a proper tool (usually a headset tool of the proper size) will break the bond and punch it out. But as with any pressfit application you don’t want to be removing and reinstalling these things on a too frequent basis. If it’s a good fit you might just want to use Morgan Blue Aquaproof Paste or simply even a dry install. I used the Aquaproof Paste in my C60 and it’s fine. At the time I figured I’d try it and if later on I heard the slightest creak I would instantly remove the cups and reinstall using the retaining compound and primer. But so far so good.
Last edited by Calnago on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

When I was thinking about going to UT on my Supersix I was looking at this..I liked the fact that it screws together....
https://praxiscycles.com/product/conv-bb-campagnolo/

Not sure about the brake routing though... they do show some Di2 wiring though on the site

BigPoser

by BigPoser

ParisCarbon wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:37 am
When I was thinking about going to UT on my Supersix I was looking at this..I liked the fact that it screws together....
https://praxiscycles.com/product/conv-bb-campagnolo/

Not sure about the brake routing though... they do show some Di2 wiring though on the site
This is what I have as well and it's amazing! No creaks ever and it's a solid piece. Not to mention that the folks at Praxis are extremely cool and knowledgable.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I chose to use a Praxis solution in one case where the bore was so damaged and out of spec that i thought maybe the Praxis solution of having an expanding collet as you screw them together may take up some of that gap. It still wasn’t enough (no fault of Praxis) and I had to resort to building up the BB shell with some special epoxy. It’s still holding up and the guys at Praxis were very good. Good quality product.

spookyload

by spookyload

I installed mine with grease. Not a peep. I was told loctite is used if to creaks after you try grease first

Catagory6

by Catagory6

spookyload wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:26 am
I installed mine with grease. Not a peep. I was told loctite is used if to creaks after you try grease first
as i've been doing more searching, i've seen people say using grease runs the risk of softening the CF

i think i'm going to try dry installation and see where that goes

thanks for all the help

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

spookyload wrote:I installed mine with grease. Not a peep. I was told loctite is used if to creaks after you try grease first
Never ever use grease. 609 is a compound for fitting cylindrical items together. It fills the gaps and sets to prevent movement. All grease does is helps the cups move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spookyload

by spookyload

Catagory6 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:23 pm
spookyload wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:26 am
as i've been doing more searching, i've seen people say using grease runs the risk of softening the CF

i think i'm going to try dry installation and see where that goes

thanks for all the help
That is pure speculation. People saying this have zero comprehension of how CF frames are made and the physical properties of the process. This is like people who used to say leaving you CF bike in the sun would cause the CF to soften. Or people who said scratches in the paint would cause CF to absorb water and swell. Does carbon paste cause your CF parts to swell when you use it.
Last edited by spookyload on Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spookyload

by spookyload

ultimobici wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:38 pm
spookyload wrote:I installed mine with grease. Not a peep. I was told loctite is used if to creaks after you try grease first
Never ever use grease. 609 is a compound for fitting cylindrical items together. It fills the gaps and sets to prevent movement. All grease does is helps the cups move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve been using it on frames since 2002 without creaks or issues. 609 only helps if there is imperfections in the surface. It simply fills the gaps to correct that. Manufacturers are split on its use. Some actually void the warranty if you use it on their frames during assembly. Seatposts are cylindrical, do you use it when you insert them? I doubt it. Bar stem interfaces are cylindrical do you use it there.? No, you use carbon paste.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I had Parlee cups and my biggest issue was the cup was slightly too big so the bearings had way too much movement. That is where the noise was coming from. I eventually had to cut the cups out of the frame [they could not come out any other way]. I use Praxis now and I'm happy with the results.