Do you find it easier to ride on the drops in a group?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Do you find it easier to ride on the drops in a group?

yes
13
45%
no
16
55%
 
Total votes: 29

User avatar
kytyree
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:55 am
Location: US

by kytyree

gramsqueen wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:57 pm
I always ride on the hoods with fore arms at parallel with the ground like cancellera
I know plenty of other riders use that position, but to me that way of riding will always be his. He was fun to watch.

by Weenie


User avatar
Calnago
Posts: 7991
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm

by Calnago

Second that on watching Cancellara. Stage 7 of the 2009 Tour de France... chasing back to the peloton after a puncture. I'm sure most of you have seen it, but still... I'm putting it here just cuz I think it’s one of the best descents ever caught on video Image . Mostly in the drops for control here obviously.
https://youtu.be/RxXqQqAc2pA
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

REGICYCLE
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:48 pm
Location: The 'Rif

by REGICYCLE

hamd wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:42 pm
I surmise* that you don't need to keep your eyes fixed as far up the road - and your neck accordingly craned - while riding in a group. You do however need to know what the riders immediately in front and around you are doing, leading to an overall lower eyeline.

*I surmise this, because I've never ridden in a group. :)
Not exactly. Depends on the group and whether you trust them to point out hazards... it always helps to see traffic lights yourself instead of relying on others (often late) warnings :D

hamd
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:21 am

by hamd

REGICYCLE wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:13 am
hamd wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:42 pm
I surmise* that you don't need to keep your eyes fixed as far up the road - and your neck accordingly craned - while riding in a group. You do however need to know what the riders immediately in front and around you are doing, leading to an overall lower eyeline.

*I surmise this, because I've never ridden in a group. :)
Not exactly. Depends on the group and whether you trust them to point out hazards... it always helps to see traffic lights yourself instead of relying on others (often late) warnings :D
Duly noted. Thanks for the heads-up.
:wink:

User avatar
IrrelevantD
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: Near DFW Airport

by IrrelevantD

Personally, I don't like being in the drops unless I'm at the front of the group, but I think that's more a safety thing. If I'm drafting and I'm 4th wheel or further back, I prefer to be on the hoods so I am up a little higher and can see a bit better and have better control if I have to take evasive action.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

User avatar
themidge
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:19 pm
Location: underneath sweet Scottish rain

by themidge

IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:54 pm
I prefer to be on the hoods so I am up a little higher and can see a bit better and have better control if I have to take evasive action.
It's interesting you say that, obviously you can see more when on the hoods, but I'd say you have more control on the drops.

User avatar
wheelbuilder
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:10 am

by wheelbuilder

Calnago wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:05 am
Second that on watching Cancellara. Stage 7 of the 2009 Tour de France... chasing back to the peloton after a puncture. I'm sure most of you have seen it, but still... I'm putting it here just cuz I think it’s one of the best descents ever caught on video Image . Mostly in the drops for control here obviously.
https://youtu.be/RxXqQqAc2pA
Excellent. Cancellara was very good at rotating his upper body to the high side while pushing the bike down to the low side. Cadel Evans descended in a similar fashion.

Stitchking
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 7:30 am

by Stitchking

Calnago wrote:Second that on watching Cancellara. Stage 7 of the 2009 Tour de France... chasing back to the peloton after a puncture. I'm sure most of you have seen it, but still... I'm putting it here just cuz I think it’s one of the best descents ever caught on video Image . Mostly in the drops for control here obviously.
https://youtu.be/RxXqQqAc2pA
Someone needs to show zakarin this video

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk


User avatar
IrrelevantD
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: Near DFW Airport

by IrrelevantD

themidge wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:00 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:54 pm
I prefer to be on the hoods so I am up a little higher and can see a bit better and have better control if I have to take evasive action.
It's interesting you say that, obviously you can see more when on the hoods, but I'd say you have more control on the drops.
While from a physics standpoint, you may have more actual control in the drops, I always feel like I have more control on the hoods, and I'm going with the assumption that the amount of actual control is going to be greatest where the rider is the most comfortable and confident.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

User avatar
themidge
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:19 pm
Location: underneath sweet Scottish rain

by themidge

IrrelevantD wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:54 pm
I'm going with the assumption that the amount of actual control is going to be greatest where the rider is the most comfortable and confident.
That's definitely true, I suppose that depends on a lot of things like handlebar height and shape and reach etc.

audiojan
Posts: 823
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:38 pm
Location: New Hampshire

by audiojan

I always ride in the drops... group ride or solo makes no difference. Just always ridden that way.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

jorryt
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:37 am

by jorryt

When I concentrate more I usually move to drops. Just chatting along is always on the hoods. In races I tend to use the hoods more for oversight. Unless I am moving up.

gramsqueen
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:15 am

by gramsqueen

kytyree wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:21 am
gramsqueen wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:57 pm
I always ride on the hoods with fore arms at parallel with the ground like cancellera
I know plenty of other riders use that position, but to me that way of riding will always be his. He was fun to watch.
I do feel like a poser everytime I pass someone on the bike path while riding in this position. But I only feel like this for about 2 seconds because I'm so aero. Recently I also started doing the snarl face whenever I'm fatigued and it actually works pretty well

User avatar
IrrelevantD
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: Near DFW Airport

by IrrelevantD

themidge wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:38 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:54 pm
I'm going with the assumption that the amount of actual control is going to be greatest where the rider is the most comfortable and confident.
That's definitely true, I suppose that depends on a lot of things like handlebar height and shape and reach etc.
Yea, geometry probably plays into it. My Allez Sprint has a 2cm shorter top tube than a Venge ViAS, and I run 0 spacers and a -7º stem, so even on the hoods it's still pretty low. I tried a -12º for that completely horizontal stem look, but that was just too low.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post