Do you find it easier to ride on the drops in a group?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Do you find it easier to ride on the drops in a group?

yes
45%
no
55%

Total votes: 29

kytyree

by kytyree

gramsqueen wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:57 pm
I always ride on the hoods with fore arms at parallel with the ground like cancellera
I know plenty of other riders use that position, but to me that way of riding will always be his. He was fun to watch.

by Weenie

Calnago

by Calnago

Second that on watching Cancellara. Stage 7 of the 2009 Tour de France... chasing back to the peloton after a puncture. I'm sure most of you have seen it, but still... I'm putting it here just cuz I think it’s one of the best descents ever caught on video Image . Mostly in the drops for control here obviously.
https://youtu.be/RxXqQqAc2pA
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

REGICYCLE

by REGICYCLE

hamd wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:42 pm
I surmise* that you don't need to keep your eyes fixed as far up the road - and your neck accordingly craned - while riding in a group. You do however need to know what the riders immediately in front and around you are doing, leading to an overall lower eyeline.

*I surmise this, because I've never ridden in a group. :)
Not exactly. Depends on the group and whether you trust them to point out hazards... it always helps to see traffic lights yourself instead of relying on others (often late) warnings :D

hamd

by hamd

REGICYCLE wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:13 am
hamd wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:42 pm
I surmise* that you don't need to keep your eyes fixed as far up the road - and your neck accordingly craned - while riding in a group. You do however need to know what the riders immediately in front and around you are doing, leading to an overall lower eyeline.

*I surmise this, because I've never ridden in a group. :)
Not exactly. Depends on the group and whether you trust them to point out hazards... it always helps to see traffic lights yourself instead of relying on others (often late) warnings :D
Duly noted. Thanks for the heads-up.
:wink:

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Personally, I don't like being in the drops unless I'm at the front of the group, but I think that's more a safety thing. If I'm drafting and I'm 4th wheel or further back, I prefer to be on the hoods so I am up a little higher and can see a bit better and have better control if I have to take evasive action.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

themidge

by themidge

IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:54 pm
I prefer to be on the hoods so I am up a little higher and can see a bit better and have better control if I have to take evasive action.
It's interesting you say that, obviously you can see more when on the hoods, but I'd say you have more control on the drops.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Calnago wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:05 am
Second that on watching Cancellara. Stage 7 of the 2009 Tour de France... chasing back to the peloton after a puncture. I'm sure most of you have seen it, but still... I'm putting it here just cuz I think it’s one of the best descents ever caught on video Image . Mostly in the drops for control here obviously.
Excellent. Cancellara was very good at rotating his upper body to the high side while pushing the bike down to the low side. Cadel Evans descended in a similar fashion.

Stitchking

by Stitchking

Calnago wrote:Second that on watching Cancellara. Stage 7 of the 2009 Tour de France... chasing back to the peloton after a puncture. I'm sure most of you have seen it, but still... I'm putting it here just cuz I think it’s one of the best descents ever caught on video Image . Mostly in the drops for control here obviously.
Someone needs to show zakarin this video

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

themidge wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:00 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:54 pm
I prefer to be on the hoods so I am up a little higher and can see a bit better and have better control if I have to take evasive action.
It's interesting you say that, obviously you can see more when on the hoods, but I'd say you have more control on the drops.
While from a physics standpoint, you may have more actual control in the drops, I always feel like I have more control on the hoods, and I'm going with the assumption that the amount of actual control is going to be greatest where the rider is the most comfortable and confident.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

themidge

by themidge

IrrelevantD wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:54 pm
I'm going with the assumption that the amount of actual control is going to be greatest where the rider is the most comfortable and confident.
That's definitely true, I suppose that depends on a lot of things like handlebar height and shape and reach etc.

audiojan

by audiojan

I always ride in the drops... group ride or solo makes no difference. Just always ridden that way.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

jorryt

by jorryt

When I concentrate more I usually move to drops. Just chatting along is always on the hoods. In races I tend to use the hoods more for oversight. Unless I am moving up.

gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

kytyree wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:21 am
gramsqueen wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:57 pm
I always ride on the hoods with fore arms at parallel with the ground like cancellera
I know plenty of other riders use that position, but to me that way of riding will always be his. He was fun to watch.
I do feel like a poser everytime I pass someone on the bike path while riding in this position. But I only feel like this for about 2 seconds because I'm so aero. Recently I also started doing the snarl face whenever I'm fatigued and it actually works pretty well

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

themidge wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:38 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:54 pm
I'm going with the assumption that the amount of actual control is going to be greatest where the rider is the most comfortable and confident.
That's definitely true, I suppose that depends on a lot of things like handlebar height and shape and reach etc.
Yea, geometry probably plays into it. My Allez Sprint has a 2cm shorter top tube than a Venge ViAS, and I run 0 spacers and a -7º stem, so even on the hoods it's still pretty low. I tried a -12º for that completely horizontal stem look, but that was just too low.