chains: component to upgrade or downgrade?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

swright

by swright

In a recent-current WW thread on cassette sprockets, chains came up: several posters asserted the use of down-spec chains (i.e. a Ultegra chain on a Dura-Ace groupset or a Chorus chain on a [Super] Record groupset), with various reasons offered, such as saving money on a replaceable/maintenance component.

Elsewhere, I have previously heard the exact opposite: to upgrade to a higher spec chain and gain the smoothness/efficiency for a relatively modest extra monetary outlay.

So, I'm interested in others thoughts on the matter. For myself, I'm presently biased towards the latter, upgrade camp.

thanks,
Scott
2003 Klein Q Carbon Race (aluminum with carbon fiber seatstays) in purple haze, Campagnolo Record 11s groupset, Bora 50 Ultra (rim-brake clincher) wheelset, full Deda Elementi finishing kit, Fabric ALM Ultimate saddle [7.2kg/15.9lbs]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

harvsurrey

by harvsurrey

run a durace chain on an ultegra di2 setup ,same setup on both my bikes

reason , the durace chain is barely more money and sometimes cheaper

they last longer and run smother thus saving more in the long on other components life etc .

run them to 75% worn and replace

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

I generally downspec chain and cassette by one.
Performance is almost the same, especially once you are 500 miles into the life of the parts, durability of the cassette can be better in some cases (more steel, less ti/al). Durability and performance of the chain is more about your care/cleaning/set up than what it says on the box. (Though i don't actually buy Shimano chains, haven't bought one for probably 20 years)

This has also been my experience with team bikes. DA for photo shoots and Ultegra for actually racing.

jlok

by jlok

I tried PC-1110 its dirt cheap. Still very quick shifting comparing to KMC chain. However they will be corroded more easily if you keep it dry for too long or after heavy rain. Otherwise can't fault them.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

NickJHP

by NickJHP

harvsurrey wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:17 pm
run a durace chain on an ultegra di2 setup ,same setup on both my bikes

reason , the durace chain is barely more money and sometimes cheaper

they last longer and run smother thus saving more in the long on other components life etc .
Actually, in the chain wear test that Tour magazine did some years back, 105 and Ultegra chains both lasted better than the Dura-Ace chain. https://www.tour-magazin.de/services/qt ... age47.html.