Rule #25: The bike(s) on top of your car should be worth more than the car

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

Not sure about Team Sky ImageImage

swright

by swright

@MoPho,

Yep, totally agree with you on all points, including, just maybe :) , not fully embracing the spirit of Rule #25.

Others have faulted me for upgrading to Campagnolo on such an "old" bike, but the frame fits me perfectly, it's stiff and responsive and reasonably light, and the paint job is simply nonpareil.

cheers,
Scott

p.s. Next time I'll just lie and say it's an Trek Project One Emonda SLR 9 (and make sure the picture is too fuzzy to argue with)...then I'll get more respect! :D
MoPho wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:33 pm
swright wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:06 pm
@spdntrxi,

Oh, I definitely agree with you: no one would give me $9K for my bike on eBay or anywhere else, most likely (but even then I still woudn't sell it). But that's why I intentionally captioned the bike replacement value in the pic -- if I were to wreck my bike (or have it stolen), insurance would actually pay out $10K to me, because that's what I have it (explicitly) insured for! I'd get much less than that for the car, were it to be totalled...

To be fair, one could get an agreed value insurance policy on the car for the original $34k MSRP too (if willing to pay the premium ).
Since you used KBB for the value of the car, you should use blue book pricing for the value of the bike, which has it at $268 for the complete bike, so the frame isn't worht $2k. Even with adding $8k worth of new parts the value would only be like $3900 according to the site. https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/SearchL ... odel=55168

If you paid $7k for the car and then bought a $8k bike you'd be more in the spirit of rule 25 me thinks
All in good fun of course ;)

2003 Klein Q Carbon Race (aluminum with carbon fiber seatstays) in purple haze, Campagnolo Record 11s groupset, Bora 50 Ultra (rim-brake clincher) wheelset, full Deda Elementi finishing kit, Fabric ALM Ultimate saddle [7.2kg/15.9lbs]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

swright

by swright

That would satisfy the rule IMHO! :D

cheers,
Scott
Calnago wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:52 pm
I’m pretty sure I could meet that rule if I had one of those racks from the TDF where they can fit 9 full bikes on top of a Mini.
2003 Klein Q Carbon Race (aluminum with carbon fiber seatstays) in purple haze, Campagnolo Record 11s groupset, Bora 50 Ultra (rim-brake clincher) wheelset, full Deda Elementi finishing kit, Fabric ALM Ultimate saddle [7.2kg/15.9lbs]

AJS914

by AJS914

$20K "replacement" value of bikes on a Honda Pilot that might be worth $6K. LOL
moving.jpg
moving21.jpg
We just moved state to state which is the only reason there is a rack and all the bikes on the car.
Last edited by AJS914 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

let me go stick my Parlee Z0 on my 2001 VW passat with a blown tranny with 250k miles on the clock... oh well it's not worth my time.

the example here are not the great.. well except for team Sky.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

joejack951

by joejack951

I don’t spend a ton on my bikes but I think most could agree that even my Hong Fu FM079-F with full Campy Chorus, Ritchey WCS and Superlogic bits, and Vittoira tubulars is worth more than a 1999 Honda Civic with 140k miles and covered in hail dings (fixing the damage would have cost more than the car was worth 3-4 years ago). I can take a pic if this combo is deemed worthy :)

MAsshole

by MAsshole

I saw a VW Golf (R maybe?) with two Factor 1 Discs w/ Dura Ace and Boyd Carbon wheels on the roof and then what I believe was an RLT 9 RDO on the hitch.

I didn't want to spend too long oogling the bikes because the owners were no where in sight and the town has had some issues with bike thefts. I imagine they were locked in but you never know.

Needless to say, I was jealous.

ms6073

by ms6073

nemeseri wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:14 am
I would never-ever put my bike on the top of a car.
Our bikes are definitely worth more than the car which is why the car was modified so the bikes could be carried inside the car, but even that is no guarantee. If thieves want something, they will definitely find a way to get it as a friend can rightly attest after having his Di2 Cannondale Super X stolen from inside a locked SUV that was parked inside the parking garage where he works and requires an access card to gain entry from anywhere but inside the building.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

well since my car cost £500 7 years ago i say even my cheapest bike is worth more than my car. even my daughters bike is worth more.

TonyM

by TonyM

ms6073 wrote: (...)If thieves want something, they will definitely find a way to get it as a friend can rightly attest after having his Di2 Cannondale Super X stolen from inside a locked SUV that was parked inside the parking garage where he works and requires an access card to gain entry from anywhere but inside the building.
Which city was it??

ms6073

by ms6073

Ironically, both Houston and Fort Worth, but was several years back for the friend in Houston who has since passed, and last winter for the friend in Fort Worth.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I start to lose interest in cars as soon as I threw my leg over a bike. As soon as I start racing, cars dropped its value to inefficient metal scrap. I’m proud to invest into bikes over cars. Head-turner to me is a race machine on a roof rack of 4 cylinder commuter.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Kumppa

by Kumppa

In here insurance companies refund very poorly if something is stolen from inside a car. Better to just lock bike outside or top of a car and they should refund full cost.
I always carry bike inside a car but never hold it there long time.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

NickJHP wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:22 am
Except when you forget it's up there and drive into the garage with the bike still on the roof...
There's a guy here in town who has done that several times.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dznuzz

by dznuzz

As a 30 year old without kids: Minivans are the best, my bikes are my family.