Rule #25: The bike(s) on top of your car should be worth more than the car

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

swright

by swright

Rule 25 - The bikes on top of your car should be worth more than the car - Copy.JPG
Share your pics! :)

Note to the uninitiated: rule(s) courtesy of the Velominati: see http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/.

cheers,
Scott

p.s. And the bike is older than the car to boot!
Last edited by swright on Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
2003 Klein Q Carbon Race (aluminum with carbon fiber seatstays) in purple haze, Campagnolo Record 11s groupset, Bora 50 Ultra (rim-brake clincher) wheelset, full Deda Elementi finishing kit, Fabric ALM Ultimate saddle [7.2kg/15.9lbs]

TonyM

by TonyM

Love that rule!
Subscribed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

I've always felt if you were going to depreciate the car value you need to depreciate the bike value...
Chasse patate

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

silvalis wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:45 am
I've always felt if you were going to depreciate the car value you need to depreciate the bike value...

^this^.. no way that bikes is worth 9K
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I would never-ever put my bike on the top of a car. The bike should be safely in the trunk far away from damaging road debris or UV lights. If the family needs more space, you can always rent an extra car for them.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

Except when you forget it's up there and drive into the garage with the bike still on the roof...

Wookski

by Wookski

Klein’s are rad but this thread is so stupid, just like those jackasses over at velominati

swright

by swright

@spdntrxi,

I call your bluff: go sum up the build I listed at https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=152700 and give me a frame credit of $2K (the picture says replacement cost).

cheers,
Scott

p.s. And I accept your apology in advance... :wink:
spdntrxi wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:41 am
silvalis wrote:

Last edited by swright on Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2003 Klein Q Carbon Race (aluminum with carbon fiber seatstays) in purple haze, Campagnolo Record 11s groupset, Bora 50 Ultra (rim-brake clincher) wheelset, full Deda Elementi finishing kit, Fabric ALM Ultimate saddle [7.2kg/15.9lbs]

swright

by swright

@Wookski,

My apologies if your sense of mirth is on holiday, and I think the attribution of stupid is a bit severe (but I could live with facile).

cheers,
Scott
Wookski wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:37 am
Klein’s are rad but this thread is so stupid, just like those jackasses over at velominati

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

swright wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:02 pm
@spdntrxi,

I call your bluff: go sum up the build I listed at https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=152700 and give me a frame credit of $2K (the picture says replacement cost).

cheers,
Scott

spdntrxi wrote:
silvalis wrote:

haha... throw it on ebay and see what you get.

you can see mine somewhere on here (parlee Z0).. it wouldn't fetch 9k on ebay.. that I am sure of...

comeback to real ville. I'll take your car, looks to be real taken care of. :beerchug:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

swright

by swright

@spdntrxi,

Oh, I definitely agree with you: no one would give me $9K for my bike on eBay or anywhere else, most likely (but even then I still woudn't sell it). But that's why I intentionally captioned the bike replacement value in the pic -- if I were to wreck my bike (or have it stolen), insurance would actually pay out $10K to me, because that's what I have it (explicitly) insured for! I'd get much less than that for the car, were it to be totalled...

Mostly I just recently came across Velominati's book The Rules and I thought it was a riot when I calculated that their rule #25 had become true for me! :) To confess my ignorance, I only just discovered that they have a website -- I just picked up the book in print, I thought it was so amusing!

cheers,
Scott

p.s. And I think you may shortchange your Parlee Z0 a bit -- is it off the rack or did you have it built-to-spec? I'll bet the paint job is sweet...

p.p.s. And thanks for the compliment on the car -- I have it detailed every fall to help it weather winter snowfall and sleet.
spdntrxi wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:39 pm
swright wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:02 pm
@spdntrxi,

cheers,
Scott

spdntrxi wrote:
silvalis wrote:

haha... throw it on ebay and see what you get.

you can see mine somewhere on here (parlee Z0).. it wouldn't fetch 9k on ebay.. that I am sure of...

comeback to real ville. I'll take your car, looks to be real taken care of. :beerchug:

MoPho

by MoPho

swright wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:06 pm
@spdntrxi,

Oh, I definitely agree with you: no one would give me $9K for my bike on eBay or anywhere else, most likely (but even then I still woudn't sell it). But that's why I intentionally captioned the bike replacement value in the pic -- if I were to wreck my bike (or have it stolen), insurance would actually pay out $10K to me, because that's what I have it (explicitly) insured for! I'd get much less than that for the car, were it to be totalled...

To be fair, one could get an agreed value insurance policy on the car for the original $34k MSRP too (if willing to pay the premium ).
Since you used KBB for the value of the car, you should use blue book pricing for the value of the bike, which has it at $268 for the complete bike, so the frame isn't worht $2k. Even with adding $8k worth of new parts the value would only be like $3900 according to the site. https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/SearchL ... odel=55168

If you paid $7k for the car and then bought a $8k bike you'd be more in the spirit of rule 25 me thinks
All in good fun of course ;)

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Tough crowd........................
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I’m pretty sure I could meet that rule if I had one of those racks from the TDF where they can fit 9 full bikes on top of a Mini.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Get one of these !! LOL

I think here everybody (!) will agree that the do meet the rule#25....LOL...🤪🤪🤪