Giro Prolight - lace up release date?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Im very keen to get a new pair of shoes. It suggesged on cyclingnews that Giro will release a lace up version of the prolights. Has anyone seem a release date?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Commenting so I can keep an eye on this!

torob

by torob

campagowlo wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:38 pm
Im very keen to get a new pair of shoes. It suggesged on cyclingnews that Giro will release a lace up version of the prolights. Has anyone seem a release date?
Haven't read anything about that, but you can lace up the current prolights - might be better to have the option of the velcro, rather than not at all? The three separate velcro straps do let you change tightness independently, so that's something you'd give up if moving to laces. I assume lacing them would give you a tighter fit overall though.
Using Tapatalk

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

campagowlo wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:38 pm
Can you post a link to the Cyclingnews article? Or was it user posted?
torob wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:41 pm
Haven't read anything about that, but you can lace up the current prolights - might be better to have the option of the velcro, rather than not at all? The three separate velcro straps do let you change tightness independently, so that's something you'd give up if moving to laces. I assume lacing them would give you a tighter fit overall though.
That's a really good point. The techlace straps come across from the same side they are velcro'ed on. You can simply remove them and use normal laces, they have all of the holes on both sides. You'll still have the little bit of velcro on the side of the shoe, but functionally, everything should work fine. Other option would be to get a pair of Empire SLXs, but I do get how that 25g weight difference can be a problem. :D
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

kytyree

by kytyree

I think the empire slx is so comfortable, it’d be hard for me to give up laces now.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

kytyree wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:43 pm
I think the empire slx is so comfortable, it’d be hard for me to give up laces now.
Prolight Techlace are as comfy as Empire SLX to me, perhaps even more so because the material is even thinner / more flexible. My only gripe besides the price is the rear lug is just glued on and the tongue seems to rough up my socks.

kytyree

by kytyree

That sounds good, is the sole pretty similar to the empire slx?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:58 am
kytyree wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:43 pm
Prolight Techlace are as comfy as Empire SLX to me, perhaps even more so because the material is even thinner / more flexible. My only gripe besides the price is the rear lug is just glued on and the tongue seems to rough up my socks.
I absolutely love my techlace prolights.. I even wear them for Tri's.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

kytyree wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:51 am
That sounds good, is the sole pretty similar to the empire slx?

I wear Prolights and most other shoes in 44.5, but wore size 45 with Empire SLX. The fit is almost exactly the same otherwise.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

yup +.5 for me in EMpires as well.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com