Scott Foil owners, need your opinions.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chiltonp

by chiltonp

What's the overall opinion on the 2nd generation Foil? I'm interested in snagging one (likely sticking to rim brakes), solid weight for an aero frame and some fo the new offerings from Specialized and Willier looks very Foil-esque.

How big of a headache is the rear brake? Outside of the aero gains would this be an upgrade over a 2016 TCR Advanced SL?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cro2

by cro2

I bought this bike in March and regretted it ever since. The model I chose was Foil 20 from 2018 range. After about 60 kms I noticed that the paint is chipped on the chain stay, but as this was right above the brake it was impossible that a chain had slapped it. The chip was so deep that the carbon layer was scratched as well. After a more thorough inspection I noticed that the frame must had been damaged in the factory, as there were chips in the paint covered with top coat. I had it replaced under warranty and got a Foil 10 frame. After 30 km from LBS to my home I noticed a carbon delamination in the rear left dropout and the top tube bulged near the seat tube junction - returned it to the LBS and awaiting refund. Both frames had problems with seatpost slipping, despite a fair amount of friction paste used and tightening the post to maximum allowable torque. Oh, and both frames had faulty headsets.
In my opinion the rear braking is sub par even using aluminium wheels. There are also clearance problems when using a power meter - I use power2max with Rotor 3D24 cranks, but the clearance is minimal.
As for ride quality, the bike is great: sharp, responsive and fast even with the stock wheels that weight half a ton. I didn't feel I any wasted watts while pedaling standing or during all-out sprints at over 1300W. Unfortunately due to my experiences, I must say I will never buy a Scott bike again, even though I was a fan of this brand, owning 2 of their bikes prior to buying Foil.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Never heard such problems, but at least Scott won´t argue and replace the faulty item.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

cro2

by cro2

rainerhq wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:54 am
Never heard such problems, but at least Scott won´t argue and replace the faulty item.
Neither did I, never had any problems with their products prior to owning Foil.

madik

by madik

cro2 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:48 am
......... Both frames had problems with seatpost slipping, despite a fair amount of friction paste used and tightening the post to maximum allowable torque. .......
My friend also had seatpost slipping issues on the disc version. It was bothering him and didn't want overtorque the bolt so he diceded to sell the frameset and go with thrusty Canyon Ultimate frameset.
Functionality > Performance > Weight

rainerhq

by rainerhq

OK, good to know.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

jlok

by jlok

My friend is very happy with his Foil. Better get your bike built by a shop. Cut rear brake outer cable ends and dremel to a nice finish, the rear brake will be solid. Chainstay crank clearance may be an issue if you use 4iiii or Stage power meter.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I’ve been really happy with mine.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270