Cannondale Synapse 2017, 2018 or Orbea Avant?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dsack

by dsack

I am a mid 50's non-racer who does longer rides (slowly). I currently have a Carbon 2015 Orbea Avant Disc. With the 2018 Synapse coming out and seeing some deals on the 2017's I have been looking at some of the frame-sets online and seeing some good deals. I am only looking for a frame and I am willing to wait until the right deal comes along. My questions are:

Is there enough of a difference between the Avant and the Synapse to make it worth spending the money?
Is there a big ride/comfort difference between the 2017 & 2018 Synapse?
Is there less of a difference between a 2017 Hi-mod Synapse and a 2018 Standard mod Synapse?

I know it is rider dependent but I am just looking for some individual experiences before decide whether or not to piss off my wife.

Thanks
Dave

Harpoon

by Harpoon

I collect my new 2018 Synapse Ultegra Di2 on Saturday :D

The 2018 model is much changed from 2017.

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/02/cannond ... od-review/ is a good read. The 2018 frame is stiffer and lighter and the reviewer above reckons a much improved ride.

I've only seen the 2018 Hi-mod available as a frameset in the UK (might be different elsewhere). If you are UK based, Hargeaves have some 2018 models discounted

https://www.hargreaves-cycles.co.uk/m39 ... OILED/Road

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dsack

by dsack

Congrats!!!! I have read the reviews but really don't trust them much. Looking for some end user reviews. I'm not expecting to purchase from a bike store, more looking long term for E-bay, new frames stripped for components or just getting lucky with a good deal. Thanks for the info!!!

mag

by mag

Can't speak for Synapse 2017 vs 2018, but as for Avant vs Synapse 2018 - the Synapse is noticeably more comfortable (road buzz isolation & vibrations dampening). Avant doesn't dampen any of that in any special way, it's a little bit more comfy than Orca, but it's mostly about the more relaxed geometry between those 2. Sure you can use wide tires at lower pressures, more flexy seatpost etc, but Synapse has some advantages here right from the start. But if you aren't very sensitive to that and you're just into the endurance geometry then Avant would be a good choice as well.

dsack

by dsack

I have a 2015 Avant now, is there anyone who can comment if the previous model of the Synapse (2017) would have the same advantages over the Avant?

Thanks
Dave