SRM Look Exakt Pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ringo

by Ringo

I’m going to pull the trigger on them..!
It’s too soon to find any reliable review on them since they just came out.
But I have a few reasons to justify my decision:
1. Electronics from the trusted srm,
2. carbon pedals made from Look,
3. design is sexy and minimal,
4. no pods at all,
5. rechargeable battery,
6. made in EU
7. Easy calibration through the app (even if it looks scary at first sight)

The single version is just 200€ more than the buggy vector 3 which still frustrates a lot of people..
I know.. with that money I could buy dual Assioma but i will be just fine with one side pm.
I only need to know my power as a reference to train with power and not HR: that’s the most important thing.
The dual power gives a little more accurate numbers and balance that few can use them properly. (But there is always the option to buy the left pm pedal if I want it)
Also my colnago is build with high end components and I don’t want to ruin the looks with that ugly pods!
Plus the 2 year warranty is a relief in case something happens..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

Sounds like you are trying to justify the purchase of an over-priced first generation product to yourself when you could buy somthing cheaper that it superior.

You're SRM's target market! :thumbup:

I had a go on them at Eurobike - seemed reasonable and matched the Wattbike Atom which they were mounted.

Ringo

by Ringo

I know what you re trying to say..
But pods are last gen. I cannot compromise to the ugliness unless I get em free of charge..
Also can’t bother with the battery isssues of vector 3 and the huge p1’s..
XXTi
C60

AZR3

by AZR3

How often are you staring at your pedals? And I’ll take a proven reliable second gen product thats cheaper over anyone’s first attempt, even SRM

Also how used serviceable are the SRMs? Assioma’s allow you to change bearings or even complete pedal bodies without needing to send them in. Saves you time and money, sounds like all pluses to me

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My main issue with Exakts other than price is the standard KeO Max/Blade winged platform. The first time you crash in a race, that wing will shear off and the metal platform will fly off.

Seedster

by Seedster

I have been using Exakt pedals for a few months now. The data output is consistent with my SRM campagnolo powermeters. Yes, Exakt pedals are pricey, but I am willing to pay a premium for hassle-free ownership. I value my time too much to be sending back pedals for repair/exchange over and over again.

Having said all that, I would strongly consider the assioma pedals because they are cost effective and reliable. They have great customer service and a well designed product. You can’t go wrong with the either option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ringo

by Ringo

Thank you seedster. It’s more useful info when they come from an owner!
They are gorgeous!
So the only drawback for now is the price?
Few hundred € more isn’t a problem if they are flawless
XXTi
C60

Seedster

by Seedster

Price is the biggest drawback for sure. It’s SRM and Look so it comes as no surprise that their pedals would be accompanied by a premium.

The install is more involved than other pedal-based powermeters, but the Exakt app and provided tools makes this extra step easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ringo

by Ringo

If you had your current knowledge which would you buy? Assioma or exakt?
XXTi
C60

Seedster

by Seedster

I would still get the SRM.

If the cost was my primary consideration, I would be more than satisfied with Assioma.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I have broken two right-side KeO Blade pedal bodies in crashes. I have crashed with Vector 2s three times, and while the right pedal has some material (and the logo) scuffed off, it is still perfectly functional. The Assiomas seem to be the best design for someone crashprone like me!
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlok

by jlok

How about pedal clearance during cornering?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Ringo

by Ringo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:20 am
I have broken two right-side KeO Blade pedal bodies in crashes. I have crashed with Vector 2s three times, and while the right pedal has some material (and the logo) scuffed off, it is still perfectly functional. The Assiomas seem to be the best design for someone crashprone like me!
I don’t race, I don’t ride in packs and I’m not crashprone!
But in case of crash, pedals are the last thing that I would worry.
XXTi
C60

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Ringo wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:05 pm

I don’t race, I don’t ride in packs and I’m not crashprone!
But in case of crash, pedals are the last thing that I would worry.

Pedals, drop bars, shifter bodies/levers, rear derailleur and saddle are usually the components that scrape along the ground in medium speed crash. In most cases, these components survive with aesthetic damage. In the case of Blade/Max pedals, the wings shear off and the metal insert dislodges.

Pedals would normally be my last worry, but not when they cost US$1600.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

I also happen to have had numerous crashes with Look pedals, but have never experienced the type of damage TobinHatesYou has described. n=1.

Then again, I wouldn't use a pedal-based powermeter on a group racing bike anyway. To switch them between TT, Granfondo and such bikes - a different story.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike