SRM Look Exakt Pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Agreed Look don't have the expertise, but did Polar have strain gauge experience? And why put your name to fatally flawed products?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

barrios

by barrios

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:49 am
Assiomas are 5g lighter than Exakts and then there’s also https://bestgolfgear.org weight difference in https://happybabyguides.com. The Assioma/Clavicula is still more expensive, but definitely lighter.
Totally worth it!
Last edited by barrios on Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:58 am
The Assiomas get knocked down slightly because I do experience instant/short dropouts a few times on a 40 mile ride and the KeO cleat compatibility isn't quite 100%. Disregarding price, I'd go with the Vectors...those occasional dropouts I'm experiencing on the Assiomas are mildly annoying.
I tend to have better luck with these things. Used both, and very few drop outs. Lots of factors in drop outs.

One other thing to know about drop outs is sometimes it's not the fault of the PM. Due to the legacy design of ANT+ every bike sensor was at a different period between transmissions and they are async, so it can't send and recieve at the same time. So it's this self algining time division thing. The problem is if you take other sensors with you of a different type they are design to drift apart in timing... but that means they eventually drift together -- can't recieve two signals at the same time. It means no matter what, if you have a HRM with you and a PM they will eventually block each other for a few seconds (usually like 2 - 5), and if you have a speed/cadence sensor this increases probability of drop outs. The more HRM's and Cadence sensors around the more it'll knock out PM's and vice versa.... people don't get so upset about cadence drop outs, and HRM is usually heavily filtered so people seldom notice.

This isn't well known (I've worked with ANT+ protocol for about 6 years now). What's funny is because the timing is the same, multiple powermeters won't do this, they find their slot and it remains fixed. Newer profiles are not using this legacy method thankfully. As more PM's adopt an ~ 8hz mode this problem will fade. Vector was the first to do this before it was officially released as an option. I haven't checked if Assioma's support this yet.

bsmyth

by bsmyth

So for the people that have these pedals, I'd like to know if you have ever had issues with the data and consistency with the data between rides?

I have mine connected to one bike that also has a Quarq installed and im often seeing upto 10% lower numbers then it. I also notice the left side is reading lower then the right and my balance on the quarq is close to 50/50 but the exakt is more like 43/57.

any ideas on how to fix the data/calibration?

thanks

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bsmyth wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:35 am
So for the people that have these pedals, I'd like to know if you have ever had issues with the data and consistency with the data between rides?

I have mine connected to one bike that also has a Quarq installed and im often seeing upto 10% lower numbers then it. I also notice the left side is reading lower then the right and my balance on the quarq is close to 50/50 but the exakt is more like 43/57.

thanks

The silly, but correct answer is to cut your losses and buy Vector 3s or Assioma Duos.

Seedster

by Seedster

bsmyth wrote:So for the people that have these pedals, I'd like to know if you have ever had issues with the data and consistency with the data between rides?

thanks
My data has been consistent. I have compared it with my SRM campagnolo powermeter and now against my Tacx Neo. I recommend you contact SRM and ask for Doug if you are based in the US. He was very helpful I. Troubleshooting my initial issues. If you cannot resolve your issues, I would not go with vector 3. They are still having issues with drop outs. Go Assioma instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My Assiomas drop out more often (3-4x on a 3 hour ride) over ANT+ than my Vector 3s (never.) Neither ever drop out over Bluetooth.

IchDien

by IchDien

Honestly, as a few posters have said, the Look pedals will be toast if you crash. I've had that metal plate pop out / deform on three pairs now and the winged design does not help.

I don't crash very often, in fact probably only three / four times in the past couple of years, but every time I do my Look pedals take the brunt / are the most notably damaged thing on my bike.

In fact, why am I still on Look? :/

Ringo

by Ringo

I bought them and numbers are ok! I’ve checked with my tacx trainer.
Installation was not so difficult but still it’s not plug and play.
I’m still getting used to it since I rode shimano till now.
My biggest problem is that they squeak/click from time to time.
I added some lube in the contact points between cleats and pedals but nothing changed.
Any thoughts how to avoid those clicks and squeaks?!
XXTi
C60

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Ringo wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:53 am
My biggest problem is that they squeak/click from time to time.
I added some lube in the contact points between cleats and pedals but nothing changed.
Any thoughts how to avoid those clicks and squeaks?!
Avoid Look pedals!

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Got my pedals yesterday.. got 2 sets, one for SL6, one for Venge..
They are a nice looking pedal in my opinion.. nothing bulky or clumsy looking about them.. Im a Keo carbon user as it is for years..
Don't have either installed, as both bikes are waiting for EPS 12...
Only negative point I have at this point, is why they only supply one charging cable.. pedals take approx 3 hours each to charge..
Updated firmware today without an issue to newest version that came out yesterday...
App was a little confusing to use at first, it finds the right pedal, but then you need to navigate around to tell it the serial for the Left, then it goes into dual mode and connects, not a big deal, but I read on a few reviews where users were complaining the left pedal wouldnt connect.. Im sensing they didn't know you need to enter the SN for the left pedal in the app to connect once the right is connected.. unfortuneately.. probably wont be on them til late May as thats when my Internal EPS 12 is set to arrive .. sigh...

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

ParisCarbon - any update on the Exakts with your Campag 12?

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

ghisallo2003 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:18 pm
ParisCarbon - any update on the Exakts with your Campag 12?
Still waiting for my campy 12 :(
Campag told me place I ordered from was due for their stuff 2nd week July, then its a few days over to Canada...
Delay has been me waiting for the internal DTI and handlebar wiring...
Good thing is, the install on the SL6 looks as simple as my SL5.. Venge might need a little more attention being disc...

brassnautilus

by brassnautilus

err... I use pm pedals only on my trainer and vector3s, well, had never gotten 20 hours out of each set of batteries. I've tried Sony, Kodak, Panasonic and couple other brands of batteries, from different shops (just to be sure they hadn't been stored for too long)
About 15 hours into each set of batteries, the right side start to drop (without warning on the computer), and then an hour or so more warning comes. Right side always first, and if I didn't swap out left side batteries then surely get warning on that one in the next 2 hours.
BTW vector3s spikes when battery becomes low, no one had mentioned that in this thread.

The one thing I couldn't understand. Why is there always 2 sets of AP? There's the ap reading in the field with L/R balance and cadence, then there's another (and always 7% or so higher) reading with the upright and sitting ride time / output group of data.
Eventually (after 500 hours or so) the right pedal gave up. I sent it in for repair, came back with a new panel, and it malfunctioned again 2 weeks later. Another repair trip (and they didn't just give me a new right side), came back and malfunctioned. I then send it in for the 3rd time and sold it after it came back to me the 3rd time without a new right pedal.

Only issue with the SRM had been the annoying setup / calibration process. I don't let them drain for 100 hours but recharging is so easy battery power isn't an issue anymore.
Have not noticed any drops in the 150 hours usage so far (TBH I don't always check WKO4 to see if there had been drops anymore, there hadn't been any weird AP reading to indicate such).

I just wondered if there's a way to setup the SRM without using that calibration tool? Is there a torque value I could go directly to with a torque spanner / torque wrench with a spanner adapter?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Seedster

by Seedster

Agreed the setup requires far more effort than its competitors, but it’s a small hassle if you don’t plan to swap from bike to bike often.

I’ll take the initial calibration effort over the nightmares Vector 3 owners are addressing with their battery doors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk