C64 vs Speedvagen

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tonytourist

by tonytourist

If those are your two choices, definitely go with the Speedvagen.
I do like the suggestions for Parlee and Crumpton for custom carbon.
There are plenty of other (better) options than Colnago from my experience!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wintershade

by wintershade

Why SV over Baum? For me the biggest draw of SV is the “full experience” as Robby mentioned, and a slight preference for their A-Team paintwork over the Baum. The advantage of Baum is I’ve been conditioned to think Ti is lighter and more corrosion resistant, both important in hilly and salty air San Francisco.

If Baum, does Ti make more sense given my use case than steel?

Since I already have a Canyon Ultimate SLX that’s well equipped (Record 11, Bora 50s, though not in love with fit) and Speedmax (so basically two fast race bikes), should I keep the Ultimate and build a SV that’s a bit more different (such as a Rugged Road, disc brakes, etc) or stick with what I love an build a more classic road machine (mechanical, rim brakes, etc).

stax

by stax

Ti sounds like a good bet in your area. Baum look great but do have- or certainly recently had- a long waiting list. I’m a couple of hours from Baum but recently bought a Mosaic due to lead times. It took 3 months to get and I couldn’t be happier with it.

Robbyville

by Robbyville

So many great options to choose from! FYI SV does have a harsh climate protection program whereby they treat your frame. Since my only issue is desert heat, I didn’t opt for it but it was mentioned for rainy and salt climates. Also that A team paint scheme is the bomb. When I was buying mine it was mostly on their cross bikes and I didn’t opt for it, but I probably would now (although I think the horizon scheme that I chose will stand the test of time).

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

Check out https://abovecategorycycling.com/ for a fitting to work with BAUM.

https://www.facebook.com/Baum-Cycles-24 ... as&fref=nf

Last I heard Baum wait list was 4-6 months so not that bad.
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

Can it get any better????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

guyc

by guyc

I have both a C64 and a custom Xcr steel bike.

I take the C64 over the steel one pretty much every time. It's an incredible bike and every time I ride it it leaves me wanting to ride it further and harder.

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

I have both, but only ridden the SV as the C64 is currently in the post to me from Bespoke Cycles in London! I absolute love the SV and the ride is sublime, although not super racy, but feel like I can ride it all day! I had the C60 before, and comparison wise between those two I rate the SV higher! So should be interesting once the C64 arrives.

Komfort on the SV is great I find, but of course it depends on how you have it setup, and if you get the carbon seat tube which dampens the ride perfectly.

wintershade wrote:I am going to buy myself a "dream bike" -- the lead condenders are a C64 or a Speedvagen Custom Road. I'd spec both with SR12 and Bora Ultras or Enve 3.4s. Prices is not really a factor, though perception of "value" does matter somewhat.

I am a long course triathlete, with no intentions of road racing for the time being. The primary use of the road bike would be semi-structured off-season riding outdoors, some of my long rides during race season, and the occasional sportiv. Point is, this bike won't be raced competitively and is more about comfort for long miles in saddle and an appreciation of master crafstmanship.

I realize this is perhaps an apples and oranges kind of question, but I'd be curious what others would choose in my position, and why.

3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

kgibbo1868 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:10 am
Can it get any better????

Yes, something with history and heritage like Colnago. :D
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

wintershade

by wintershade

alexneumuller wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:23 pm
I have both, but only ridden the SV as the C64 is currently in the post to me from Bespoke Cycles in London! I absolute love the SV and the ride is sublime, although not super racy, but feel like I can ride it all day! I had the C60 before, and comparison wise between those two I rate the SV higher! So should be interesting once the C64 arrives.
Alex -- You're C64 is stunning. I actually came across this photo somewhere else and it's actually what got me cross shopping a C64 vs the customer builds I'm considering. Your bike is just killer. I was thinking of doing the same exact built, or potentially in Black/Red with the Bright Label Boras for a less stealthy look that highlights the lugs more.

Clearly this is a case of where you can't go wrong, but keep the opinions coming!

Robbyville

by Robbyville

alexneumuller wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:23 pm

Komfort on the SV is great I find, but of course it depends on how you have it setup, and if you get the carbon seat tube which dampens the ride perfectly.

wintershade wrote:I am going to buy myself a "dream bike" -- the lead condenders are a C64 or a Speedvagen Custom Road. I'd spec both with SR12 and Bora Ultras or Enve 3.4s. Prices is not really a factor, though perception of "value" does matter somewhat.

I am a long course triathlete, with no intentions of road racing for the time being. The primary use of the road bike would be semi-structured off-season riding outdoors, some of my long rides during race season, and the occasional sportiv. Point is, this bike won't be raced competitively and is more about comfort for long miles in saddle and an appreciation of master crafstmanship.

I realize this is perhaps an apples and oranges kind of question, but I'd be curious what others would choose in my position, and why.

Wow simply. Both beautiful and I’m sure both wonderful rides!

wintershade

by wintershade

kgibbo1868 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:43 am
Thanks for the tip! Turns out Above Category Cycling is on the way to my favorite bike routes and I've passed the shop 100 times without even knowing it. Going to check out these Baums in person...

Speedvagen vs Baum vs Colnago. Can't go wrong I suppose, but perhaps that's why it's so hard to decide.

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

wintershade wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:33 pm
kgibbo1868 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:43 am
Thanks for the tip! Turns out Above Category Cycling is on the way to my favorite bike routes and I've passed the shop 100 times without even knowing it. Going to check out these Baums in person...

Speedvagen vs Baum vs Colnago. Can't go wrong I suppose, but perhaps that's why it's so hard to decide.
:thumbup: Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and following along as you build your dream bike!
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

Robbyville

by Robbyville

Me too!

Radiokopf

by Radiokopf

My n=1 would be a Ti bike. Timeless. Maybe a Mosaic.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com